Author Topic: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread  (Read 122182 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread
« Reply #1825 on: July 20, 2023, 01:33:21 PM »
I'm in the, "They're doing the right thing for the wrong reasons" camp.

We need to figure out how to get people speedy trails, and we need to fix the court system to keep boomers who took selfies on 06JAN from sitting in jail for a year with no bail. I don't know how to do any of that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1826 on: July 20, 2023, 04:15:58 PM »
Maybe we should rethink how many bullshit victimless crimes we clog the courts up with so that we can actually provide fair but speedy trials.
I think maybe a forced time limit (1 to 3 months maybe) where charges are automatically dropped if there was no trial.  The prosecutors have to justify the delay with some sort of high bar if a delay is allowed since it would violate the rights of the accused.  I am just thinking that might force prosecutors and courts also to focus on the crimes they can prove.  Force police to complete investigations more quickly.  Force public labs to get evidence processed more quickly. 

IMO, I don't think we need to figure out how it should be done, we just need to put our foot down and force the change.  IMO, it is an injustice not to.  I think it can be done myself. 

Another related idea would be to cap bail at a very reasonable amount and outlaw bail bonds.  Makes sure bail is returned when you show up rather than being confiscated to pay court fees, etc. 

Of course, my experience with the criminal justice system is all hearsay from news and articles.  Someone else might have better ideas.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1827 on: July 20, 2023, 04:20:49 PM »
Illinois Ends Cash Bail
Steve Lehto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX1fytoEveM

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #1828 on: July 20, 2023, 10:20:13 PM »
Illinois Ends Cash Bail
Steve Lehto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX1fytoEveM

Another reason to OC at all times.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1829 on: July 21, 2023, 09:23:52 AM »
Another reason to OC at all times.
I would simply say "pants on, gun on" regardless of how you wish to carry. 

That said, no-cash bail isn't the reason violent felons get let out immediately.  I bet there are provisions in the law to hold violent offenders, just the judges/prosecutors won't do it. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #1830 on: July 21, 2023, 10:24:51 PM »
I would simply say "pants on, gun on" regardless of how you wish to carry. 

That said, no-cash bail isn't the reason violent felons get let out immediately.  I bet there are provisions in the law to hold violent offenders, just the judges/prosecutors won't do it.

I'm not counting on them to "do their jobs" either.  :facepalm:  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1831 on: July 23, 2023, 09:09:33 AM »
Okay the man is a criminal who just tried to kill someone so screw him.
Why this posted here is the reaction of the women he landed next to. Just another day that ends in Y to them.

Video shows jaw-dropping moment alleged carjacker jumps off FDR Drive, landing next to unsuspecting women
https://nypost.com/2023/07/21/the-shocking-moment-alleged-carjacker-jumps-from-fdr-video/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1832 on: July 23, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »
^^^

The comments are all about how, "He had it coming", which he did. However the three women didn't know that. He could have been an innocent person who fell off the bridge, and those three fat pigs just stood there eating their ice cream. These types of clips really make me loathe big cities, especially NYC, where this is considered "normal" (all the way back to much of what Seinfeld was based on). And when someone does help, they get arrested. Bizarro world.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1833 on: July 23, 2023, 09:39:28 AM »
However the three women didn't know that. He could have been an innocent person who fell off the bridge, and those three fat pigs just stood there eating their ice cream.

Yeah, I should have made that clear in my post that's what I was thinking viewing that.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1834 on: July 23, 2023, 10:03:37 AM »
If he had landed on them how much do you want to bet they would be suing the police?
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #1835 on: July 24, 2023, 08:46:33 PM »
If he had landed on them how much do you want to bet they would be suing the police?

Why??
The police weren't even involved at that point.
  :facepalm:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1836 on: July 24, 2023, 09:23:48 PM »
Why??

You really think that matters?
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1837 on: July 24, 2023, 11:30:22 PM »
Why??

Can't sue a scumbag with no money, sue the deep pockets.

That was an audible splat.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1838 on: July 25, 2023, 07:33:43 PM »
Shoplifting to support their food habit

If you see the video you'll know what I mean

Burlington store in Sacramento is raided by trio of female shoplifters who make VERY slow getaway pushing shopping carts filled with stolen booty
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12336989/Burlington-store-Sacramento-raided-trio-female-shoplifters-make-slow-getaway-pushing-shopping-carts-loads-stolen-booty.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1839 on: July 25, 2023, 07:50:13 PM »
Judicial corporal punishment... hold have it right outside the store, in the parking lot.

An idea that makes so much sense it just might work!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1840 on: July 25, 2023, 08:34:13 PM »
"Police are investigating".  ;/

They've got video with a license plate. What's to investigate? As it's Calif, had they misgendered someone, they'd already be caught and in the pokey. As it is, they'll probably get a bigger punishment for parking in the handicapped zone than for the stealing.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1841 on: July 30, 2023, 01:09:34 PM »
    A number of people are attempting to change their race by watching certain videos, hoping to manifest physical change.

“They have convinced themselves it works because there’s other people who have convinced themselves, as well,” says a media professor. https://t.co/A6HqCCNlkc
    — NBC News (@NBCNews) July 30, 2023

Experts agree race is not genetic. But they contend that even though race is a cultural construct, it is impossible to change your race because of the systemic inequalities inherent to being born into a certain race.

NBC News: People think they can change their race - that's just crazy!
https://twitchy.com/gordon-kushner/2023/07/30/nbc-news-people-think-they-can-change-their-race-thats-just-crazy-n2385846

So people can't change a "cultural construct" but they can change their sex, a biological construct, by convincing themselves because reasons. Experts agree. Got it.

- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1843 on: July 31, 2023, 02:34:47 AM »
How about changing species?

https://nypost.com/2023/07/28/toco-the-human-border-collie-steps-out-for-first-ever-walk-in-public/

Weird and a little creepy, but that's just a Furry in a fancy suit.  Compared to the surgical mutilation seen on folks commonly these days that's barely even a blip on the scope.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1844 on: July 31, 2023, 10:57:19 PM »
Someone took it a bit too far.

Vegan raw food diet influencer Zhanna D’Art dies of starvation: report
https://nypost.com/2023/07/31/vegan-influencer-starved-to-death-friends/?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nypost
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #1845 on: August 01, 2023, 01:01:42 AM »
In keeping with the above theme which I will call "Stupidity Has Its Own Rewards"

Frenchman who likes to climb buildings and take pictures fell off of a tall building in Hong Kong while practicing his own brand of "hey, watch me!".

68 or so stories. He was found because he broke a gas pipe upon splatting and they were investigating the gas leak.

Probably a 7-9 second free fall to contemplate his choices in life.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/french-daredevil-falls-to-his-death-from-hong-kong-skyscraper

bob

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1846 on: August 01, 2023, 02:06:46 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/why-everything-so-expensive-right-now-interest-rates-federal-reserve-rcna96885

gotta love the headline:

Why the Federal Reserve has made everything more expensive to make things less expensive

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1847 on: August 01, 2023, 07:27:12 AM »
Someone took it a bit too far.

Vegan raw food diet influencer Zhanna D’Art dies of starvation: report
https://nypost.com/2023/07/31/vegan-influencer-starved-to-death-friends/?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nypost

Darwin approves.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1848 on: August 01, 2023, 04:00:12 PM »
This is just so whacked out it belongs here.

She's what, 500 plus lbs? And is being accused of fat shaming.

Lizzo sued by former backup dancers, accused of sexual harassment and ‘fat-phobic’ treatment
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/lizzo-sued-by-former-backup-dancers-accused-sexual-harassment-fat-phobic-treatment

Body-positive pop star Lizzo's ex-dancers are suing her for fat-shaming and some very weird sexual stuff
https://twitchy.com/sarahd/2023/08/01/lizzo-n2385902

Imagine getting fat shamed by Lizzo pic.twitter.com/fpcel8AXg3
    — Greg Price (@greg_price11) August 1, 2023
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1849 on: August 02, 2023, 08:23:44 AM »
Why the heck would they even do this?

Backlash has begun against the popular British coffee brand Costa after consumers spotted the company using a graphic of a transgender man bearing scars from a "top surgery."

Several online users and coffee drinkers were surprised to see a photo of a Costa Express Van showcasing a colorful image of a transgender person with scars from a double mastectomy.

Popular coffee brand outrages consumers with image of post-op trans man: 'Glorification of breast mutilation'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/popular-coffee-brand-outrages-consumers-image-post-op-trans-man-glorification-breast-mutilation
- Calvin and Hobbes