Author Topic: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread  (Read 122164 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread
« Reply #2100 on: October 25, 2023, 09:37:38 AM »
Halloween has to go

ICYMI: The South Orange-Maplewood School District believes ending #Halloween celebrations will help them move forward in building equity, fostering inclusion and building a sense of belonging throughout the schools. https://t.co/b965Q7BiJd
    — News12NJ (@News12NJ) October 24, 2023

The Grinch Doesn't Just Steal Christmas: New Jersey School Cancels Halloween In Name of 'Equity'
https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2023/10/25/the-grinch-doesnt-just-steal-christmas-new-jersey-school-cancels-halloween-in-name-of-equity-n2388957

The original article.
No real reason given why Halloween celebrations are a problem equity and inclusion  wise

South Orange-Maplewood schools ‘ghost’ Halloween celebrations this year
https://newjersey.news12.com/south-orange-maplewood-schools-ghost-halloween-celebrations-this-year
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2101 on: October 25, 2023, 10:12:23 AM »
It has been a while, but I don't recall my schools doing anything for Halloween.  The teacher may have done stuff in their classes or the students did something, but I don't remember the schools doing organized events or celebrations. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2102 on: October 25, 2023, 11:34:29 AM »
It has been a while, but I don't recall my schools doing anything for Halloween.  The teacher may have done stuff in their classes or the students did something, but I don't remember the schools doing organized events or celebrations.

I'm trying to remember if my daughter's schools ever did anything and I don't recall them doing so. But that's not the point, the point is the reasons they gave in canceling.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2103 on: October 25, 2023, 02:13:51 PM »

The original article.
No real reason given why Halloween celebrations are a problem equity and inclusion  wise

They are probably afraid a kid will commit a monstrous act of cultural appropriation.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2104 on: October 26, 2023, 08:38:52 AM »
In public school kindergarten, we went to school in costume. In Catholic school we didn't dress for Halloween, but there was no condemnation that I remember . . . in one of the early grades, there was an "All Saints Day" pageant & costume contest, celebrated the day after Halloween. Kids were dressed "as saints." My costume was a full suit of armor (cardboard, cut to shape and spray painted silver) with sword and shield - St. George, of course.

It seemed to be a crowd favorite - parents and older siblings being the crowd, of course. Unfortunately the judges were NUNS  [barf] - and they thought otherwise.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2105 on: October 26, 2023, 09:12:45 PM »
In a public school we attended (siblings & I, Mom was a TA), they'd have a parade through the neighborhood with most of the children in costume.  That was ~'62 - '68.

Can't remember when they stopped, it was sometime after my sister (youngest kid by 5 years) graduated, so mid '70's or so.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2106 on: October 27, 2023, 08:10:40 AM »
A little levity, so I didn't want to put it in the Israel/Hamas thread. I think this is the same guy who did the Trump vs Biden stair challenge video. People with low IQs (and CNN, but I repeat myself) got upset about this "fake news" about a CNN reporter in Gaza.  :rofl:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1712593688138829980

https://twitchy.com/artistangie/2023/10/27/cnn-voiceover-clip-n2389068
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2107 on: October 27, 2023, 05:13:35 PM »
    SCOOP: elementary school in @LAFSDK8 sent out a notice that they will no longer celebrate Halloween in school because it’s not inclusive of all students.

This same district celebrates the LGBTQ+ holidays.

They won’t celebrate Halloween but they will celebrate who adults like… pic.twitter.com/L08lNKcP1T
    — Libs of TikTok (@libsoftiktok) October 27, 2023
https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2023/10/27/libs-of-tiktok-finds-yet-another-school-canceling-halloween-for-inclusivity-n2389085
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2108 on: October 28, 2023, 08:20:40 AM »
Every day is Halloween in the USA.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2109 on: October 28, 2023, 09:56:09 AM »
Stabs his mom to death then sends pictures to his friends. WTF???????????

Chilling 911 call made by Florida teen Derek Rosa accused of 'stabbing his mom multiple times to death in front of his newborn sister': Says he took PICTURES and sent them to friends
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12681887/911-call-Florida-boy-13-mom-dead.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2110 on: October 30, 2023, 12:06:12 PM »
Holy crap! WTF? Who TF approved this?

Culture Critic
@Culture_Crit
A new fountain has been unveiled in Vienna, celebrating 150 years of the city's spring water supply.

This is what they came up with, at a cost of €1.8 million of taxpayers' money...

Video https://twitter.com/Culture_Crit/status/1718932851461087311?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

What Were They Thinking?! Vienna, Austria Unveils HIDEOUS New Fountain in Public Square
https://twitchy.com/coucy/2023/10/30/vienna-fountain-n2389189
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2111 on: October 30, 2023, 12:53:51 PM »

Someone who hates Western Civilization?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2112 on: October 30, 2023, 01:26:55 PM »
Probably a relative of the politicians making the decision.  Or at least they subcontracted to a bad artist. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2114 on: November 01, 2023, 04:03:45 PM »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2115 on: November 01, 2023, 07:54:55 PM »
I have to admit: I was not expecting The War on Halloween.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2117 on: November 02, 2023, 04:35:21 PM »
Black Birds Matter!
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2118 on: November 02, 2023, 06:42:28 PM »
I am glad to see Lewis's Woodpecker made the list, why should anyone's woodpecker be singled out as an appropriate name for a animal of any kind. We don't have other body parts with names, we have tits and boobies but they aren't person specific so let's stop using Lewis and his woodpecker as it can be shaming to him and his descendants. What happened to him in the bird wars does not need to be commemorated with a bird name any longer. ;)

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2119 on: November 03, 2023, 06:59:58 AM »

Video https://twitter.com/Culture_Crit/status/1718932851461087311?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

What Were They Thinking?! Vienna, Austria Unveils HIDEOUS New Fountain in Public Square
https://twitchy.com/coucy/2023/10/30/vienna-fountain-n2389189
Someone who hates Western Civilization?
Maybe, but I'd say no.

More likely someone who saw an opportunity to enrich either himself or a close associate - public works projects are a GREAT way to turn public funds into private profits.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2120 on: November 03, 2023, 08:21:51 AM »
Epileptic Child Has Seizure After Gazing At Latest Pride Flag
https://babylonbee.com/news/epileptic-child-has-seizure-after-gazing-at-latest-pride-flag
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2121 on: November 03, 2023, 09:05:57 AM »
THE BIRDS ARE RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2023/11/02/american-ornithological-society-to-change-exclusionary-offensive-bird-names-n2389299
OK, I'm convinced.    :rofl:

But I'm also disturbed - the scientific names of birds - indeed all species - are in Latin.

LATIN IS THE LANGUAGE OF ROME, AND ROMANS OWNED SLAVES! MANY, MANY SLAVES!

All scientific names must - MUST - henceforth be changed. Equity demands it!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2122 on: November 03, 2023, 06:32:56 PM »
Posting this here not because of what the article is about, this is pretty expected from Marvel nowadays, but the comment that it included that fits this thread so well

Finally! Marvel Has Heard Your Demands, Announces New Deaf Native American Superhero Series
https://twitchy.com/coucy/2023/11/03/echo-hulu-disney-n2389369

South Park isn’t supposed to be an instruction manual.
    — Jay Cooper (@jaycarlcooper) November 3, 2023

:rofl:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 06:45:02 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2123 on: November 03, 2023, 11:19:08 PM »
I suspect this meme is going to be used frequently:

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2124 on: November 04, 2023, 09:40:34 AM »

I'm a human cat and had my first piercing aged 11 - trolls calls me 'disturb' but this is how I express myself
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12693581/I-ear-piercing-eleven-want-human-cat.html
- Calvin and Hobbes