Author Topic: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread  (Read 122291 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread
« Reply #2375 on: January 07, 2024, 11:23:27 AM »
Man winds up having to pay squatters to get out of his house that he was trying to sell after police told him they couldn't do anything.

Asked about the incident, Philadelphia Police only told Fox News that the property owner was "advised of a tenant and landlord issue" and no arrests were made.

"The police told us that they get three to four calls a day similar to this," real estate agent Bob Cervone told Fox News. "I certainly had heard of this happening from other agents, from landlords. But it was my first experience with it."

A few days later, Harte said, the squatters reached out to Cervone to arrange a meeting. They said they had found somewhere else to live and would leave Harte's house if he gave them $2,000. He said that was too much but ultimately paid them $1,200 after walking through the house.

"The house was super dirty, trash everywhere," he said. "Luckily, there was no damage."

The squatters left. He immediately changed the locks and hired a cleaner. All told, he estimates the incident cost him $2,000 and endless stress over the holidays until the sale finally closed last week.

Something is going to have to give on this _____

Pennsylvania man pays ransom to reclaim house from squatters: 'The city is rewarding criminals'
https://www.foxnews.com/us/pennsylvania-man-pays-ransom-reclaim-house-squatters-city-rewarding-criminals
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2376 on: January 07, 2024, 02:23:16 PM »
Homeowner better pay his taxes, too.

(They need the taxes to genderqueerize his kids.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2378 on: January 08, 2024, 08:48:32 AM »
Also, the natives aren't just getting restless in PA, they've got a moon beef going as well:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/05/world/peregrine-moon-mission-navajo-nation-objection-human-remains-scn/index.html
https://www.space.com/moon-navajo-nation-objection-human-remains-ula-vulcan-centaur-celestis-elysium-space

I'm guessing if some Christians complained, there wouldn't be a "last-minute meeting" at the White House. Also, what if some religious group in say Zambia, said that laying human remains on the moon was honoring the moon god? Also, if this was a Chinese lander, they wouldn't GAF.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2379 on: January 08, 2024, 08:53:33 AM »
Also, the natives aren't just getting restless in PA, they've got a moon beef going as well:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/05/world/peregrine-moon-mission-navajo-nation-objection-human-remains-scn/index.html
https://www.space.com/moon-navajo-nation-objection-human-remains-ula-vulcan-centaur-celestis-elysium-space

I'm guessing if some Christians complained, there wouldn't be a "last-minute meeting" at the White House. Also, what if some religious group in say Zambia, said that laying human remains on the moon was honoring the moon god? Also, if this was a Chinese lander, they wouldn't GAF.

Too late
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2380 on: January 08, 2024, 09:08:32 AM »
The proper response would have been, "Suck it up, buttercup.  You lost, we won, and now we're going to the moon."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2381 on: January 08, 2024, 12:33:00 PM »

I read that and my thoughts went to Mother Earth, I thought she was fairly sacred to the Natives as well and if so how about all the dead people here on earth? Too much picking and choosing on sacred symbols and how they should be treated IMO.

bob

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2382 on: January 08, 2024, 01:48:44 PM »
The Navaho have an extreme religious phobia of human corpses.  That probably explains why they are upset about remains being placed on the moon.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2383 on: January 08, 2024, 01:59:16 PM »
The Navaho have an extreme religious phobia of human corpses.  That probably explains why they are upset about remains being placed on the moon.

Not only the Navajo but also the Apache and a few other tribes.

For the Navajo, it is important to live in hohzo, a state of order with the universe which recognizes the beauty of all living things. Navajos follow rituals and bury the dead in unique ways to maintain this order:

Navajos select family members to mourn. Mourners bathe and dress the body in special garments.
The mourners bury the deceased far away from the living areas, along with their possessions and the tools used to bury the body.

https://www.alivehospice.org/news-events/culture-and-death-native-american-heritage/#:~:text=Navajos%20follow%20rituals%20and%20bury,used%20to%20bury%20the%20body.

I think the moon would qualify as far away from living areas but that may be just me.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2384 on: January 08, 2024, 02:11:46 PM »
Well it appears they may get their wish considering Peregrine is having issues which appear at the moment to rule out a landing. May still impact the moon though which could be considered a landing of sorts.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2385 on: January 08, 2024, 02:15:38 PM »
The sheer *expletive deleted*ing hubris to believe that the rest of the world should consider your tiny religion when doing things.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2386 on: January 08, 2024, 02:57:21 PM »
Don't most people bury the dead far from living areas?  I guess some keep an urn close buy and we normally don't bury the tools as well as the possessions of the deceased. 

I did see a report about digging up a very old city that had been destroyed.  They said the ancestors were buried under the floor of the house. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2387 on: January 08, 2024, 03:11:01 PM »
Crackers be attacking indigenous people of color and taking their land and stuff!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 03:24:20 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2388 on: January 08, 2024, 05:04:09 PM »
True story man.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2389 on: January 08, 2024, 11:02:15 PM »
Not only the Navajo but also the Apache and a few other tribes.

https://www.alivehospice.org/news-events/culture-and-death-native-american-heritage/#:~:text=Navajos%20follow%20rituals%20and%20bury,used%20to%20bury%20the%20body.

I think the moon would qualify as far away from living areas but that may be just me.

bob

All I know is, when I read muh Bible, them Joos is awful wary of having any contact with dead bodies.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2390 on: January 09, 2024, 08:05:33 AM »
The Navaho spokesperson asked what I'm sure he thought was a rhetorical question:
"At what point are we going to stop and say we need to start protecting the moon as we do the Grand Canyon?"

My reply would be "Not before millions of sightseeing tourists start visiting it every year."

Considering the sheer cost of lifting mass past orbit and achieving escape velocity, I really don't think the Moon is going to see significant dumping for a long, long time.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2391 on: January 09, 2024, 08:55:23 AM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2392 on: January 09, 2024, 08:57:01 AM »
^^^^^^
He was Italian/Sicilian. Not kidding.
His real name was Espera Oscar de Corti
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2393 on: January 09, 2024, 09:00:34 AM »
Canadian cop shoulders a reporter, then arrests said reporter for assault on a police officer. With the video, I think this would be thrown out pretty quick in the US, and the cop likely disciplined. Who knows how it will work out in Canada.

https://twitchy.com/coucy/2024/01/08/david-menzies-canada-n2391531

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2395 on: January 09, 2024, 09:37:39 AM »
The Navaho spokesperson asked what I'm sure he thought was a rhetorical question:
My reply would be "Not before millions of sightseeing tourists start visiting it every year."

Considering the sheer cost of lifting mass past orbit and achieving escape velocity, I really don't think the Moon is going to see significant dumping for a long, long time.

And by the time we get the cost down enough to make shipping trash into space reasonable, we will likely find a better place to put it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2396 on: January 09, 2024, 09:42:28 AM »
And by the time we get the cost down enough to make shipping trash into space reasonable, we will likely find a better place to put it.

People or garbage, a phaser will take care of it.

https://youtu.be/8VsRvLpQpFc?t=16

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2397 on: January 09, 2024, 09:56:13 AM »
Canadian cop shoulders a reporter, then arrests said reporter for assault on a police officer. With the video, I think this would be thrown out pretty quick in the US, and the cop likely disciplined. Who knows how it will work out in Canada.

https://twitchy.com/coucy/2024/01/08/david-menzies-canada-n2391531
Looking at the video, it is almost funny.  They picked the most harmless looking reporter to do this to.  It is obvious the reporter was trying to walk around him until he thrust out an arm to block him.  They they practically do an interview with the guy on the street before arresting him.  Then they allow the camera man to film the whole thing from close by allowing the guy to continue talking on camera. 

It was a bullying tactic by the cops, but it was as if they don't know how to do it right or immediately regretted the initial action and decided to play nice. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2398 on: January 09, 2024, 09:59:03 AM »
We'll throw it into the sun an incinerate it in nuclear fire. And if it's too hot to approach closely enough to make the dump . . . we'll just make the drop at night.   ;)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2399 on: January 09, 2024, 10:08:34 AM »
We'll throw it into the sun an incinerate it in nuclear fire. And if it's too hot to approach closely enough to make the dump . . . we'll just make the drop at night.   ;)

Requires a massive amount of delta-V making it cost prohibitive. It actually takes less energy to fling objects out of the solar system than into the sun. The mechanics are somewhat complicated and there are sites explaining it way better than I could but in a nutshell the earth is moving around the sun at ~67,000mph and you would have to deal with that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 10:23:26 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes