Author Topic: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread  (Read 122238 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread
« Reply #2700 on: March 15, 2024, 10:11:54 AM »
As car thefts have spiked in Toronto, Canada, local police are prescribing new safety measures so that locals can avoid violent encounters with thieves.

One of the recent bits of advice included Toronto Police telling residents of the town of Etobicoke to leave their car key fobs near the door to avoid being attacked in their homes by potential burglars.
Thieves have begun breaking into houses to steal keys in order to steal cars, prompting controversial prevention advice from Toronto Police Constable Marco Ricciardi at an Etobicoke town hall last month, according to City News.

During the town hall, Ricciardi advised that residents leave their car keys near the front doors of their houses so that they do not have to confront violent criminals, who he noted often have "real guns."

How about calling the police to come pick up the bodies instead?
Oh wait, it's Trudeau's Canada.

Toronto police advise locals to leave car keys near front doors to avoid confrontations with violent thieves
https://www.foxnews.com/media/toronto-police-advise-locals-leave-car-keys-front-doors-avoid-confrontation-violent-thieves
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2701 on: March 15, 2024, 10:15:27 AM »
I posted this in the BB thread but it also needs to be here to go with the above

Canadian Supreme Court Rules ‘Justin Trudeau’ Is An Outdated Term And Should Instead Be Referred To As ‘Person With A Vagina’
https://babylonbee.com/news/canadian-supreme-court-rules-justin-trudeau-is-an-outdated-term-and-should-instead-be-referred-to-as-person-with-a-vagina
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2702 on: March 15, 2024, 01:29:24 PM »
Apparently as fake as this looks, it is all too real. Advil advertisement on "pain equity".

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/03/15/advil-pain-equity-n2393994

Funny. I was told whites are the fragile ones.  :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2703 on: March 15, 2024, 01:35:20 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2704 on: March 15, 2024, 01:51:33 PM »
Apparently as fake as this looks, it is all too real. Advil advertisement on "pain equity".

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/03/15/advil-pain-equity-n2393994

You guys are missing the point, the message is not the reason for this stuff. The reason is the copious amounts of tax dollars being funneled into this stuff and people are just trying to get their piece of the pie. Do I have sources? No, just a hunch. ;)

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2705 on: March 15, 2024, 06:08:55 PM »
What are they smoking over at NBC because they've really gone off the deep end lately

WUT? NBC News Says Aunts Provide 'Critical Support' to LGBTQ Kids With 'Nonbinary Blankets'
https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/03/15/nbc-news-aunts-lgbtq-support-n2394000
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 07:15:41 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2706 on: March 15, 2024, 07:11:21 PM »
In English, all blankets are non-binary. The pronoun for a blanket (noun) is "It." You can't get more non-binary than that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2707 on: March 15, 2024, 10:45:51 PM »
Could Canada pussy out even more?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/toronto-police-advise-locals-leave-car-keys-front-doors-avoid-confrontation-violent-thieves.amp

TL;DR- Toronto police tell residents to make it extra convenient for the criminals by leaving car keys easily accessible for the thieves
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2708 on: March 20, 2024, 08:42:54 AM »
Now the word homosexual is offensive and must be replace

https://twitter.com/againstgrmrs/status/1769489381801295990

How about we just go with **Not nice word for gay men* can call it a day?
Sorry if I offended anyone with that but I'm tired of this *expletive deleted*it

What the WHAT? GLAAD Declares the Term 'Homosexual' to Be Derogatory and Offensive
https://twitchy.com/grateful-calvin/2024/03/20/what-the-what-declares-the-term-homosexual-to-be-derogatory-and-offensive-n2394140
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2709 on: March 20, 2024, 10:33:52 AM »
Now the question I have, besides the obvious, is who buys a book like this?

The strangest things men have shoved up their bottoms for pleasure: From a WW1 bomb to a FISH - and 20 McDonald's Happy Meal toys... new book reveals history of extreme masturbation techniques
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13215463/The-strangest-things-men-shoved-bottoms-pleasure-WW1-bomb-FISH-20-McDonalds-Happy-Meal-toys-new-book-reveals-history-extreme-masturbation-techniques.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2710 on: March 20, 2024, 07:39:37 PM »
Now the question I have, besides the obvious, is who buys a book like this?

The strangest things men have shoved up their bottoms for pleasure: From a WW1 bomb to a FISH - and 20 McDonald's Happy Meal toys... new book reveals history of extreme masturbation techniques
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13215463/The-strangest-things-men-shoved-bottoms-pleasure-WW1-bomb-FISH-20-McDonalds-Happy-Meal-toys-new-book-reveals-history-extreme-masturbation-techniques.html

Nope.  Ain't no way I'm clickin' on that link!

Not gonna ask how you found it, either.   ;/

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2711 on: March 20, 2024, 08:33:55 PM »
“Dear Google, I have this pineapple and I need some advice.”

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2712 on: March 20, 2024, 11:05:41 PM »
Maybe we should start to wonder about WLJ.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2713 on: March 21, 2024, 10:11:05 AM »
Talk to TheDailyMail
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2714 on: March 21, 2024, 10:13:17 AM »
Meanwhile TikTok is teaching illegals how to take over homes

A TikTok influencer is advising illegal immigrants on how to 'invade' American homes and invoke squatter's rights, making it difficult for them to be removed from properties.

Leonel Moreno, who goes by @leitooficial_25 online and appears to be a Venezuelan migrant, has told undocumented immigrants that under US law, 'if a house is not inhabited, we can seize it'.

He is referring to squatter's rights, or adverse possession laws - a common law principle that allows an illegal inhabitant to acquire ownership of a property based on continuous occupation without the legal owner's consent.

Moreno, alleging he has friends who 'have already taken about seven homes', argued the only way for migrants to not live in the streets or be a 'public burden' is to 'seize' and 'invade' abandoned properties.

The now-viral video, which has been viewed almost 4million times, has prompted outrage from many social media users. Some have claimed Moreno is 'promoting terrorism' and are now calling on the FBI and Department of Homeland Security to action.

Shocking moment TikTokker tells illegal immigrants how to 'invade' American homes and invoke squatter's rights as provocative video is viewed almost 4million times
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13222453/moment-tiktokker-illegal-immigrants-invade-american-homes-invoke-squatter-rights.html

If you want  [ar15] this is how you get  [ar15]
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2715 on: March 21, 2024, 10:26:21 AM »
Meanwhile TikTok is teaching illegals how to take over homes

Shocking moment TikTokker tells illegal immigrants how to 'invade' American homes and invoke squatter's rights as provocative video is viewed almost 4million times
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13222453/moment-tiktokker-illegal-immigrants-invade-american-homes-invoke-squatter-rights.html

If you want  [ar15] this is how you get  [ar15]

I saw this story on twitchy and saw it included a video of a NY homeowner being arrested for changing the locks on her house after a squatter moved in.

Luckily I live in a FAFO state, though this story kinda makes me want to write my state senator before the '24 session ends to see if any protections against this stuff are codified in Idaho law. Because they should be here and in every other not crazy state in the US. It appears though, that even if they aren't crazy states like NY, many states seem to be getting caught flat-footed on protecting homeowners against this stuff because of unclear on non-existent laws.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2716 on: March 21, 2024, 10:30:12 AM »
I saw this story on twitchy and saw it included a video of a NY homeowner being arrested for changing the locks on her house after a squatter moved in.

Apparently in NY they only have to be in the house for 30 days after that they basically have more rights to the home than you do.
Story I saw said evictions typically take longer than 30 days so you're up the creek.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 11:16:24 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2717 on: March 21, 2024, 11:14:16 AM »
The issue is the laws treat it as a civil issue between Landlord/Tenant because in most of these cases the squaters are claiming to be a tenant.  They have fake leases, or bills (real and/or fake) "proving" (or at least giving a possibility of) legal occupancy.  so it has to go through civil eviction processes with renter protection laws varying by how much a state or locality dislikes mean old landlords.

As far as I can tell, even if you get them evicted, there's no criminal follow up for fraud or attempted theft, trespassing, or whatever.  So there's no real downside to the thieves.  I'd like to see us add consequences to attempted theft, but the criminal justice system seems uninterested in pursuing criminal charges.  These idiots are essentially judgement proof for getting your costs back after you get them out.

The answer is going to probably changing the law to some stricter version of establishing rental residency, but that will run us back into the "predatory landlords can throw moms out on the street" that got us here in the first place.  Do we require every renter to have a lease on hand and to show it to cops on demand or risk being trespassed from their home?  A new government office and require leases to be registered with the .gov so they can be checked by LE when conflicting claims arise? ( [barf] )  What's a fair way for LE to establish if someone is a real renter when they say they are, and some rando outside says they aren't?  Dunno.

In the meantime I think you're correct WLJ, if it keeps going this way you'll see squatters just disappear into the night.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2718 on: March 21, 2024, 11:34:03 AM »
This was a story I saw from California.  Squatters victimized a woman.  Her son got her to give him a lease, broke into the house and essentially made enough of a nuisance of himself until the squatters left.  Now he is getting offers from others to do it again. 

Man Gets Squatters to WANT to Leave the Homes They Moved Into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOFarLfP3zY

Most of these examples involve 2nd homes or inherited property where no one is living.  My only advice would be for anyone with property like that to practically live in the property until it is sold or leased.  At least visit it daily or multiple times a week.  I think some of these people are finding the squatters after a month or two.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2719 on: March 21, 2024, 11:43:53 AM »
When my rental is vacant, I go over there and walk through it daily.  It's a PITA, because the house is like 45 miles from mine, but better safe than sorry.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2720 on: March 21, 2024, 11:46:38 AM »

Most of these examples involve 2nd homes or inherited property where no one is living. 

Many probably check obituaries.
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2722 on: March 21, 2024, 12:41:35 PM »
Could Canada pussy out even more?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/toronto-police-advise-locals-leave-car-keys-front-doors-avoid-confrontation-violent-thieves.amp

TL;DR- Toronto police tell residents to make it extra convenient for the criminals by leaving car keys easily accessible for the thieves
I remember during "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland, the local constabulary was urging the (few) people licensed to own shotguns to voluntarily turn them in to the police for the duration. Why? So they wouldn't be tempted to use them to defend their homes, families and themselves if a violent mob broke in and attacked them!  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2723 on: March 21, 2024, 06:43:58 PM »
Regarding the video I referred to above, apparently "vigilantes" showed up and scared at least two of the squatters away. I mean, I guess this is how you get vigilantes. The story below mentions pissed off neighbors. I wonder if the "vigilantes" were actually neighbors. It sounds like, as expected, the squatters were engaged in nefarious activities.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/queens-squatters-flee-1-million-home-stand-off-homeowner-visit-vigilantes-report
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2724 on: March 21, 2024, 07:50:45 PM »

Luckily I live in a FAFO state, though this story kinda makes me want to write my state senator before the '24 session ends to see if any protections against this stuff are codified in Idaho law. Because they should be here and in every other not crazy state in the US. It appears though, that even if they aren't crazy states like NY, many states seem to be getting caught flat-footed on protecting homeowners against this stuff because of unclear on non-existent laws.

I changed my mind with new info.

Shoot the squatters. Tar and feather the cops that support squatters, then run them out of town.

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1770596191165894692?t=hWpFQr_ozQVGaCHM6DcigQ&s=19

The Queens squatter who went viral after the homeowner got arrested is allegedly subletting the home to sub-squatters.

According to one of these ‘sub-squatters’ he was charged $1500 a month to live in the basement.

“I paid $3,500 to the landlord Jay.”

Jay was the ‘Head Squatter’ who allegedly served as the Squatting Landlord.

Video at the link.