Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 56109 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #475 on: November 12, 2020, 10:13:57 PM »
Seems pretty weak. It's one thing to keep out the general public. It's another thing to say there's no way for a few family members to come in, with gloves and masks and such.

Millcreek, care to weigh in?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #476 on: November 13, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »
Everybody from that event is OK I hope.

Fall/winter is obviously the big flu season so I expect we'll be hearing more stories about gatherings where people pick it up.

The good news is we flattened the curve (and then some) and hospitals have figured out the best protocols for handling those who really get knocked down. Bad outcomes even among the high risk are going down.

Everyone has recovered.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #477 on: November 13, 2020, 02:36:17 PM »
Neighbor across the street is positive, she's a teacher, her husband, also a teacher, I imagine will be positive eventually. Neighbor 2 doors down is positive, he works at a senior living complex, I imagine his whole household will be eventually.

Uranus is a gas giant.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #478 on: November 15, 2020, 10:43:42 AM »
And one more.  Dad's lady friend emailed all of us this morn, to tell us that she got it.  Doesn't know where she picked it up, as she's following all the avoidance advice.  Sounds like she's doing well, all things considered.  She's, I think, 85-ish.  My Dad (90) sees her regularly.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 11:38:17 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #479 on: November 15, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
A couple of teammates at work tested positive, separate incidents not a common source of infection. We have a handful of folks out quarantined per our contact tracing protocols.

The fear around here (Chicago suburbs) is palpable, I almost want to slap some of the guys and tell them to stop acting like little girls.

The mass hysteria and neuroticism being propagated by the media is just ridiculous. 

Tyrannical gynocracy run amok.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #480 on: November 15, 2020, 11:36:48 AM »
The fear around here (Chicago suburbs) is palpable, I almost want to slap some of the guys and tell them to stop acting like little girls.

The mass hysteria and neuroticism being propagated by the media is just ridiculous.  

Tyrannical gynocracy run amok.

It's done what it was made to do.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #481 on: November 21, 2020, 09:35:37 AM »
In the retail establishment I work in we have multiple folks out either through contact tracing or from testing positive with symptoms.

So far it runs its course, they come back to work, rinse and repeat, not unlike the flu.

Other than the PANIC! DOOM! DEATH! OMG! FEAR! FEAR! our staffing is like a bad flu year, maybe a little worse due to the contact tracing.

Do not be afraid.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #482 on: November 21, 2020, 11:13:11 AM »

Do not be afraid.

So what about the lasting heart and lung disease concerns even in asymptomatic infections of Covid?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #483 on: November 21, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »
So what about the lasting heart and lung disease concerns even in asymptomatic infections of Covid?

What percentage of those who get infected develop "lasting heart and lung disease concerns"?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #484 on: November 21, 2020, 11:40:16 AM »
What percentage of those who get infected develop "lasting heart and lung disease concerns"?

Figuring this virus is about a year into discovery, that probably won't be know for several years or even decades.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #485 on: November 21, 2020, 11:54:34 AM »
Figuring this virus is about a year into discovery, that probably won't be know for several years or even decades.

So nobody knows, got it.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #486 on: November 21, 2020, 11:56:00 AM »
So nobody knows, got it.

Yep, it's all speculation at this point.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #487 on: November 21, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »
Anyone remember back when someone with Adam Schiff-like secret information and a self-professed very deep understanding of how Coronavirus impacts humans warned us that a significant COVID risk was dying bleeding from one’s eyes?

Any confirmation on that dire threat beyond reports of overproduction of tears and inflamed conjunctiva?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #488 on: November 21, 2020, 12:55:24 PM »

For some reason I get the impression that you would be happy with current restrictions and lock downs lasting that long, just to be sure everyone is safe.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #489 on: November 21, 2020, 02:08:19 PM »
Anyone remember back when someone with Adam Schiff-like secret information and a self-professed very deep understanding of how Coronavirus impacts humans warned us that a significant COVID risk was dying bleeding from one’s eyes?

Any confirmation on that dire threat beyond reports of overproduction of tears and inflamed conjunctiva?

It was from friends who worked as doctors, nurses and admins at hospitals in Iowa. I do talk with more folks in real life than I do online. These hospital folks are/were under gag orders from their superiors, so why would I risk someone's income I grew up with or went to college with to placate someone I've never met?

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #490 on: November 21, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »
For some reason I get the impression that you would be happy with current restrictions and lock downs lasting that long, just to be sure everyone is safe.

Just the opposite, I want folks to take how serious it is now, wear the mask, stay home, wash hands, so the lockdowns will end. I'm a very social person and the lockdowns is not very good for my mental health.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #491 on: November 21, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
It was from friends who worked as doctors, nurses and admins at hospitals in Iowa. I do talk with more folks in real life than I do online. These hospital folks are/were under gag orders from their superiors, so why would I risk someone's income I grew up with or went to college with to placate someone I've never met?
No one wants your secret sources to have their incomes endangered.

Is that still a symptom they are concerned about?  Is there a reason that isn’t a symptom reported elsewhere?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #492 on: November 21, 2020, 04:54:28 PM »
Apparently, it is either extremely rare or hospitals and doctors all over the country are keeping quiet about it for some reason.  Could easily be some other medical condition or due to the treatment given (or interaction of some type).  Without more information, you might as well say an alien burst from their chest.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #493 on: November 21, 2020, 05:48:40 PM »
Just the opposite, I want folks to take how serious it is now, wear the mask, stay home, wash hands, so the lockdowns will end. I'm a very social person and the lockdowns is not very good for my mental health.

Wear masks, stay home, wash your hands is very good advice.  The lockdowns have very little to do with that.  The people issuing the lockdowns don't take them seriously, they just expect you to because they are better than you or something.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #494 on: November 21, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »
As Bob said, the hygiene advice is good, but preventing personal infection won’t make the lockdowns end, and it is ridiculous to claim that.  Mass immunity either through immunization or sufficient infection/recovery is the only thing that will make the lockdowns end.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #495 on: November 21, 2020, 10:05:27 PM »

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #496 on: November 22, 2020, 10:00:11 PM »

I played over 30 rounds of golf this season and hunted in 3 states so far, I wouldn't call me a caged bird.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #497 on: November 22, 2020, 10:06:44 PM »
No one wants your secret sources to have their incomes endangered.

Is that still a symptom they are concerned about?  Is there a reason that isn’t a symptom reported elsewhere?

This came about when the meat packing plants in IA, MN and SD were having a Covid outbreak with their workforce. Might of been a strain that caused the immune system to go into overdrive and start eating the body, might of been ethnic, I'm not sure.

This is from a medical journal-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899649/

Tissue damage caused by the immune system

Almost all virus infections cause the recruitment and activation of inflammatory cell types — particularly macrophages and, in some infections, neutrophils — that in turn release a range of molecules that induce tissue damage or malfunction. These include cytotoxic cytokines, cationic proteins, lipid mediators, metalloproteinases and components of the oxygen burst. The reactive oxygen species that accumulate in the mitochondria may further contribute to tissue damage3. Both innate and adaptive immune signalling events are involved in mediating tissue damage.

As politicized as this disease has been, who knows what people are hiding about it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #498 on: November 22, 2020, 11:24:02 PM »
I played over 30 rounds of golf this season and hunted in 3 states so far, I wouldn't call me a caged bird.

You said you wanted people to stay home.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #499 on: November 22, 2020, 11:27:00 PM »
You said you wanted people to stay home.

Neither of those activities involve large groups of people.

Uranus is a gas giant.