Author Topic: Another McCain advisor blows it...  (Read 9711 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Another McCain advisor blows it...
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 06:01:37 AM »
No one's paying attention to McCain, so how could it possibly matter what one of his advisors said?

I'm not sure what news sources you look at, but all the feeds are running with this.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 07:15:50 AM »
Regardless of the media spin on what Gramm said, I think he was right.  Only a nation of whiners would actually want the Gubmint to provide for their Healthcare, salary, groceries, etc, etc, etc, and then complain when that same friendly Gubmint wants to listen to their phone calls or hold them without evidence.  The world needs more Do-It-Yourselfers.

As to the "mental recession", he was pointing out that the country is not in an ACTUAL recession because none of the requirements have been met.  But people hear the damn word on the tv or radio every day so they've come to believe it's either here or forthcoming.

Any voter that would be "driven away" from McCain because one of his advisors has the balls to tell the truth was probably the sort more likely to vote for Obama anyway.  But thank Gawd McCain is Johnny-On-The-Spot when it comes to tearing down his own party, or someone might have gotten the idea that McCain actually AGREED with the guy.  Heaven forbid.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »
Phil Gramm has his moments of glory and his moments of shame.  In '92 IIRC he stood next to Bob Dole in a presser after a vigorous debate of Hillary's National Healthcare legislation.  Dole was ready to cut a deal and Gramm stood there and said it would not happen.  Thank Gramm for standing pat and ignoring senatorial comity.

Shift to the '90's.  Gramm was busy lobbying congress for a few changes in dusty ol' banking laws.  Seems Gramm was working on behalf of banks and financial institutions worldwide to gut Steagle Glass Act of 1933.  This is the legislation that put a wall between commercial banking and financial interest.  It kept commercial banks out of insurance, stocks exchanges, and sorts of financial operations.  The law was gutted in 1999.  Meanwhile at the FED Greenspan was busy trying to keep congress from regulating new special investment vehicles.  Let the market act.  Don't hinder the flow of capital,  youzer--youzer--youzer.

Shift to today our financial system teeters on a knife edge because of toxic financial instruments created in the dark by the efforts of Greenspan which were then sold throughout the financial planet through the efforts of Gramm.  So when Citi declare an insane loss due to toxic financial deals keep a sharp eye out for the handiwork of Gramm.  At some point he and others will humm the mantra "too big to fail".  All this from a man who is a high ranking official of a foreign bank.

Gramm's record is mixed.  He is also the living embodiment of the status quo in DC.  The only two parties in the country are Them and US; not republican and democrat.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 09:31:24 AM »
Obama, who promises free ponies and candy.

I know we disagree a lot Maned, but that's the best quote ever.  grin
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 09:43:53 AM »
Obama, who promises free ponies and candy.

I know we disagree a lot Maned, but that's the best quote ever.  grin

Thank you. cheesy

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
I wonder if we could get Oleg to do a poster like that? "A pony in every backyard."  grin cheesy
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »
I wonder if we could get Oleg to do a poster like that? "A RED pony in every backyard."  grin cheesy

fixed it for you
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 01:10:23 PM »
Hey, leave Steinbeck out of this.   angry  OK, OK, he was a little red.   smiley  Still a great writer, though. 

And Maned, it was kind of a joke at McCain's expense, so...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »
Gramm should have said that HALF of America--the "new" America--is comprised of whiners.  This is precisely the problem: we are, irreversibly, two nations now.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »
He would have been better off answering his wife honestly when she asks does this make me look fat.

Geez, choose your words carefully man.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.