Author Topic: ACLU of Nevada Supports Individuals Right to Bear Arms  (Read 5959 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
ACLU of Nevada Supports Individuals Right to Bear Arms
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:39:08 PM »
In light of the United States Supreme Court's decision concerning the D.C. handgun ban (District of Columbia v. Heller) the ACLU of Nevada considers it important to clearly state its position regarding the right to bear arms. The Nevada ACLU respects the individual's right to bear arms subject to constitutionally permissible regulations. The ACLU of Nevada will defend this right as it defends other constitutional rights.  This policy was formulated by our afilliate Board in light of both the U.S. Constitution and the clearly-stated individual right to bear arms as set out in the Nevada Constitution's Declaration of Rights.

From the horse's own mouth
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
Re: ACLU of Nevada Supports Individuals Right to Bear Arms
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »
That's called principle. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »
So that's Texas and Nevada in revolt against the national org.

Interesting.  Any others?  I'm hearing word of a similar re-think in the AZ chapter...

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »
That's called principle.

Even if you show up decades late?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:32:31 PM »
That's called principle.

I really don't think they're that late-I imagine they are the same anti-gun people they were before Heller, but are now defending the right because they recognize that it is....a right.

Just like I don't think there were many Klan members at the ACLU when they decided to help the Klan with its free speech rights.

The list goes on. 

It's an organization that has more leftists than others for sure, but I think it's been genuinely principled in its approach to defending individual rights.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »
Como se dice "schism" en ACLU?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:11:46 AM »
That's called principle.

In fairness, previously SCOTUS has never ruled whether it was an individual right or a collective right under the US Constitution.  Now they have.  But yea, they should have parsed it decades ago.  Still better 'allies' than enemies, Wolf.  It's not unprecadented, NRA and the ACLU have worked together in the past...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 03:13:27 AM »
. . . The Nevada ACLU respects the individual's right to bear arms subject to constitutionally permissible regulations. The ACLU of Nevada will defend this right as it defends other constitutional rights.  . . .
It's an encouraging sign, but notice the important caveat which I've boldfaced in the above quote.

In light of their past history, I'd be willing to bet that what NV ACLU considers  "constitutionally permissible regulations"  aren't what most members of this board would regard as "constitutionally permissible regulations."

Any takers?  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 05:00:20 AM »
. . . The Nevada ACLU respects the individual's right to bear arms subject to constitutionally permissible regulations. The ACLU of Nevada will defend this right as it defends other constitutional rights.  . . .
It's an encouraging sign, but notice the important caveat which I've boldfaced in the above quote.

In light of their past history, I'd be willing to bet that what NV ACLU considers to "constitutionally permissible regulations"  aren't what most members of this board would regard as "constitutionally permissible regulations."

Any takers?  rolleyes

I was going to point that out.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 05:19:53 AM »
The Texas ACLU has actually participated in gun related litigation:
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/119544.html

Granted, it's a drop in the bucket, but you have to start somewhere.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 05:26:29 AM »

In light of their past history, I'd be willing to bet that what NV ACLU considers to "constitutionally permissible regulations"  aren't what most members of this board would regard as "constitutionally permissible regulations."

Any takers?  rolleyes

Isn't that pretty much the same wording from Heller?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 05:29:14 AM »
If only the ACLU would treat the Second like the First.  We could buy pistols in vending machines at airports.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 05:31:45 AM »
Like they have been a big help with all the "extra" security at the airports.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 06:25:25 AM »
This is promising.  Maybe it's the beginning of a long overdue palace revolt within the ACLU ranks, who knows.

Hasn't the ACLU been trying to figure out for decades whether it's defending the U.S. or Soviet Constitution?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 07:35:34 AM »
constitutionally permissible
I do not theenk that word means what you theenk it means....
D. R. ZINN

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 07:48:05 AM »
This is promising.  Maybe it's the beginning of a long overdue palace revolt within the ACLU ranks, who knows.

Hasn't the ACLU been trying to figure out for decades whether it's defending the U.S. or Soviet Constitution?

I think that's uncalled for.  The soviet constitution would never tolerate free speech or due process.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 07:56:18 AM »
I think that's uncalled for.  The soviet constitution would never tolerate free speech or due process.

That's not entirely true.

Let's take a look at the Reagan years, just before the Soviets began their decline.

It was completely lawful in the USA to stand in front of the White House in Washington, D.C., get up on a soap box, and shout that you hated Reagan and everything he stood for.

At the same time, it was completely lawful in the USSR to stand up in front of the Kremlin in Moscow, get up on a soap box, and shout that you hated Reagan and everything he stood for.

See - same freedom of speech, to say the same things.

laugh
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »
...subject to constitutionally permissible regulations.

So they've given up their indefensible, overtly anti 2A position.  Now it looks like they're simply going to continue the same agenda subversively, by pretending the Constitution permits all sorts of regulations.

"We aren't infringing on your individual right to bear arms.  Honest.  That's not a handgun ban in Chicago, no sir.  That's not an assault weapons ban, either.  We haven't banned anything, honest.  We've just regulated things a little, just like the Constitution says we can."

angry

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 08:58:48 AM »
I suspect it's a clever ploy...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 08:55:05 AM »

That's not entirely true.

Let's take a look at the Reagan years, just before the Soviets began their decline.

It was completely lawful in the USA to stand in front of the White House in Washington, D.C., get up on a soap box, and shout that you hated Reagan and everything he stood for.

At the same time, it was completely lawful in the USSR to stand up in front of the Kremlin in Moscow, get up on a soap box, and shout that you hated Reagan and everything he stood for.

See - same freedom of speech, to say the same things.

laugh

I love you guys.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.