Author Topic: An editorial I never expected from the Richmond Times-Dispatch  (Read 1611 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
In the past they've been pretty effusive in their support for laws limiting individuals' abilities to get, keep, and bear firearms. This may be a new day for them.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/opinion.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-07-14-0006.html

Prior to the recent Supreme Court ruling, Barack Obama said he supported the District of Columbia's ban on individual gun ownership.

After the court threw out the law as unconstitutional, Obama said he was glad to see the Second Amendment interpreted as applying to individuals -- not merely to vaguely defined militias.

Only a presidential candidate or a Dadaist could reconcile the two positions.

Virginia leaders were more direct. A few complained about the decision, but overwhelming numbers in both parties applauded it.

Tim Kaine may have made the most informative statement. The scope of the court's actions will be determined in additional litigation, the governor said. Opponents of gun control already have challenged the constitutionalities of jurisdictions with laws similar to Washington's. An arduous process has only just begun.

We believe private individuals possess an inherent right to keep and bear arms. We hope draconian restrictions on gun ownership will fall, and expect many will. We also suspect that many regulations -- including some despised by the gun lobby -- will survive. The D.C. gun case did not close the case on guns.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: An editorial I never expected from the Richmond Times-Dispatch
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 08:36:48 AM »
Only a presidential candidate or a Dadaist could reconcile the two positions. 

It's funny cause it's true.  And because it refers to a forgotten art movement.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

doc2rn

Re: An editorial I never expected from the Richmond Times-Dispatch
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:47:29 AM »
I don't know about that. He (Obama) stated that it was an individual right, but that each state should have the power to restrict that which is most harmful to it's people.
Even the SC said there could be reasonable restriction to include not allowing fellons to poses firearms.

I dont agree with him as everyone has an individual right to protect themselves and loved ones, which now it seems the states of Cal., Il., and NY will have to deal with.

All this and I haven't even taken a fine arts or debate class.