Author Topic: More dumb laws... Ban Targets!  (Read 3896 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
More dumb laws... Ban Targets!
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:34:16 PM »
This guy thinks the solution to violence is to outlaw targets shaped like humans...

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/pa-lawmaker-seeks-to-ban-human-silhouette-targets/article_b8249d6c-9bf6-11e4-a97b-539a1318bad9.html

I'm at a loss for words...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: More dumb laws... Ban Targets!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »
Then you have this:

http://news.yahoo.com/outrage-south-florida-police-black-mugshots-targets-051633498.html

A Miami-area police department responded on Friday to public outrage over its snipers using photos, for target practice, of black suspects the agency had previously arrested, saying that photos of real people were often used for training.

The use of the mugshots was revealed to police leaders in late December after members of the Florida Army National Guard discovered the photos at a shooting range during their annual weapons qualifications training, according to the North Miami Beach Police Department and a Miami NBC affiliate.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 03:10:58 PM »
This guy thinks the solution to violence is to outlaw targets shaped like humans...

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/pa-lawmaker-seeks-to-ban-human-silhouette-targets/article_b8249d6c-9bf6-11e4-a97b-539a1318bad9.html

I'm at a loss for words...
Sometimes I wonder if the politicians don't really believe this crap, but they are anti-gun and want to keep a steady barrage of anti-gun stuff that the NRA and others will have to fight.

But then there is the old saying of not assigning to conspriacy or strategy what can more easily be assigned to stupidity (which defines anti-gunners quite a bit).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 03:19:28 PM »
Then you have this:

http://news.yahoo.com/outrage-south-florida-police-black-mugshots-targets-051633498.html

On this I notice the article never actually said that ONLY black mug shots were used, just that apparently at least some were. 

In general, I like the idea of realistic target training, but for a police sharpshooter I am not sure pictures of actual local people is wise (military and police training are not the same).  I can foresee two scenarios:  1) police shoot a guy who was one who had his picture shot and the lawyer claim the police were trigger happy because they were "trained" to shoot him specifically, and 2) the tragic possibilty that the police shoot a person not involved due to the training and the person's bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

I guess the question is:  Do you think an officer might be more inclined to shoot instinctively or without thinking if he happened to put his crosshairs over a familiar target?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 04:07:30 PM »
Paging Revdisk.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »
He represents part of the Philly sprawl. As for how likely he is to get this passed, I'll mention he's been in office for twenty plus years and his only committee is Tourism & Recreational Development. He also wants to push a mandatory body camera law for LE.

Chances are nill of it passing. Or surviving the first court it touches.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legis/CSM/showMemoPublic.cfm?chamber=H&SPick=20150&cosponId=16489
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
I'd much rather ban lawmakers.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
On this I notice the article never actually said that ONLY black mug shots were used, just that apparently at least some were. 

In general, I like the idea of realistic target training, but for a police sharpshooter I am not sure pictures of actual local people is wise (military and police training are not the same).  I can foresee two scenarios:  1) police shoot a guy who was one who had his picture shot and the lawyer claim the police were trigger happy because they were "trained" to shoot him specifically, and 2) the tragic possibilty that the police shoot a person not involved due to the training and the person's bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

I guess the question is:  Do you think an officer might be more inclined to shoot instinctively or without thinking if he happened to put his crosshairs over a familiar target?

If the guy in the mug shot is in prison, he really shouldn't be concerned about being shot by a police marksman.
if putting pictures of trayvons and browns on shooting targets helps prevent one vad shoot, its worth it- political correctness be damned.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 06:49:21 AM »
I saw the story about the mug shots on the news and one of the individuals had already served his time.  The other thing is just because you have been arrested and a mug shot taken doesn't mean you are guilty. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 08:18:38 AM »

Ayep.

It's lawyer bait. Either by law suit, or as a defense if the person ends up arrested by said police. It's also bad PR. There's plenty of stock photos folks can use, with no liability. I sure as hell would not want to live or work in that department's jurisdiction. Not directly because of the pictures of local persons, but the mind frame of any department that thought it was acceptable to use images of local persons for lethal training purposes.

Think of the flip side. If someone used photos of said police officers as targets for self defense classes, how would the department react? I significantly doubt they'd agree it was "good training".
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »

Think of the flip side. If someone used photos of said police officers as targets for self defense classes, how would the department react? I significantly doubt they'd agree it was "good training".

That would be an epic Level 60 master troll thing to do.   >:D

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:50 PM »
If the guy in the mug shot is in prison, he really shouldn't be concerned about being shot by a police marksman.
if putting pictures of trayvons and browns on shooting targets helps prevent one vad shoot, its worth it- political correctness be damned.
I wasn't addressing it as a matter of PC, but of practical issues for training versus real life situations.  I wouldn't want to have even the tiny risk of a bad shoot due to the officer seeing a familiary "target" in his scope. 

I am not sure live or realistic targets (beyond sillouettes or cartoons) is really necessary for police training. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
Surprised that the Russians don't get upset because we call the pop up targets on the military qual ranges "Crazy Ivans."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »
I wasn't addressing it as a matter of PC, but of practical issues for training versus real life situations.  I wouldn't want to have even the tiny risk of a bad shoot due to the officer seeing a familiary "target" in his scope.

It'd limit the targets a bit, but I'd restrict the use of actual images to deceased individuals.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 04:35:59 PM »
I am not sure live or realistic targets (beyond sillouettes or cartoons) is really necessary for police training.

They just need to add their favorites;

Proned out, motionless suspect.
 Innocent bystander.
 Air.
 Own finger.
 Etc.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »

Innocent bystander.
 Air.
 Own finger.
 Etc.
Cocker spaniels
Golden retrievers

Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 08:34:12 AM »

Innocent bystander.
 Air.
 Own finger.
 Etc.

Cars
Buildings
The ground

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 08:18:51 PM »
It'd limit the targets a bit, but I'd restrict the use of actual images to deceased individuals.

Can't we at least use Justin Beiber? And maybe Lindsay Lohan?

FWIW, hasn't it been illegal to shoot at human silhouettes for many years in Massachusetts?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »
Cars
Buildings
The ground

Last, but not least, own foot and leg...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »
Can't we at least use Justin Beiber? And maybe Lindsay Lohan?

FWIW, hasn't it been illegal to shoot at human silhouettes for many years in Massachusetts?

IIRC there are a couple of jurisdictions where it is illegal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 05:49:44 PM »
Club I ran banned the use of human picture targets.  Simply because shooting at pictures of political figures, ex-spouses, and other real people could be frowned upon by local and Federal LE.

Zombie, Dinosaurs, Aliens, Military Silhouettes, IDPA/IPSC Silhouettes and like.  All good.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 05:53:27 PM »
Club I ran banned the use of human picture targets.  Simply because shooting at pictures of political figures, ex-spouses, and other real people could be frowned upon by local and Federal LE.

Am I missing something here?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 11:44:02 PM »
Am I missing something here?

Front site , squeeze.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 11:56:45 PM »
Front site , squeeze.

Grrr. "Sight."  "Sites" are on military-grade assault weapon ghost guns with 30-caliber clips, and shoulder things that go up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 03:12:59 AM »
You and auto correct can bight me. =D

Samuel Adams