Author Topic: American gun ownership at an all-time low.  (Read 2270 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
American gun ownership at an all-time low.
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
So, I read this article this morning with a cup of coffee...

http://news.yahoo.com/major-survey-shows-gun-ownership-132558989.html

Long story short, it says that gun ownership in America is at an all-time low, which they attribute to the decline in hunting.

My thought when I read this was that I wonder how accurate their study was, or if it is really a decline in people willing to acknowledge firearm ownership, for various reasons.  Thoughts?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: American gun ownership at an all-time low.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 10:05:40 AM »
50% of the time statistics are 100% inaccurate when it comes to surveys.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-general-social-survey-is-gun.html

2013 Article on GSS and "declining gun ownership".

Lott wants to blame the Joyce Foundation (well known for funding anti-gun groups). Historically, GSS has always shown substantially lower gun ownership than alternative polling. Whether it's intentional, or methodology, or sample bias, who knows.

I notice virtually none of the articles on "firearm rates going down" ever mention that folks may not wish to admit owning firearms to random strangers over the phone. I sure as hell would not.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »
I notice virtually none of the articles on "firearm rates going down" ever mention that folks may not wish to admit owning firearms to random strangers over the phone. I sure as hell would not.

Yes, that.

My understanding is that gun ownership among women is rapidly increasing. Also interesting that they mentioned hunting. Certainly hunting license numbers have been declining for at least a couple of decades, but defense purchases have been going up with increased ability to CCW, etc.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
I will NOT answer questions about firearms ownership to some unknown party who calls me on the phone claiming to be doing a poll or survey.

In fact, I don't take ANY phone polls or surveys unless it's a quick "customer satisfaction survey" with some business I deal with, like my bank or car dealer.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »
I would think all the recent mass gun buys from possible bans would show otherwise.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
So, I read this article this morning with a cup of coffee...

http://news.yahoo.com/major-survey-shows-gun-ownership-132558989.html

Long story short, it says that gun ownership in America is at an all-time low, which they attribute to the decline in hunting.

My thought when I read this was that I wonder how accurate their study was, or if it is really a decline in people willing to acknowledge firearm ownership, for various reasons.  Thoughts?

I think your "or if" is more likely.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »
I would think all the recent mass gun buys from possible bans would show otherwise.

How many of those are new gun owners or gun owners growing their collection?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 12:13:41 PM »

Most probably.  However, I knew of a lot of folks who bought their first gun during that time.

At the various ranges, I see a lot of fresh-faced younger folks who are obviously new to the hobby.  Our ranks are growing.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Yep.
For every person like me or others on this board, there are 40-50 that might not have a gun.

OTOH, I know of several women who have bought their first gun in the last year.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »
I have taught three of my wife's friends from work how to shoot in the last three years.  Two subsequently bought firearms.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 01:42:47 PM »
I've seen very few first time gun owners. Mostly what I have seen is people who have their grandfather's shotgun or the .22lr marlin they got as a kid, but they haven't shot it in year. These are the folks I'm seeing buying their first handgun or AR-15 and taking their kids out shooting.

Plus also in the last 10 years many states have really freed up their concealed carry laws where most people can now get a permit to carry.

I wish hunting would pick up, but for many people either they didn't grow up with it, don't have a place to hunt or can't afford to lease hunting ground/trespass fee.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »

If gun ownership is declining, why is the NRA growing?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 01:52:48 PM »
I guess "Number of Americans willing to discuss their guns with random strangers at an all time low" doesn't have quite the same headline punch.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
All time low? bwahahahah!!

I suppose the hords of first time gun buyers, even larger hords of returning gun buyers, record numbers of background checks, and several record-setting production years for most mfgs were some kind of mass hallucination. That's what happens when you warm your global chemtrail without using essential organic gluten oil.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »
I was a heavy recreational shooter pre 9/11. The new gun population exploded at my ranges after that. At times I felt compelled to stay home some due to the crowds and the learning on the job aspect of gun safety. I was in my favorite gun shop for most of the day after Obama won term 1. Gun salesman of the century right there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
It is quite possible that gun ownership for hunting is declining.  :old:

It is highly likely that gun ownership for self-defense is increasing.    [ar15]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
Tom Gresham has mentioned on his show that people estimate as many as 1/3 of the gun purchases over last 10 or 15 years are new gun owners.  That is a very big number.  It also helps explain the shortages of some ammo. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 04:18:39 PM »
I also think gun owners are less likely to participate in any poll or poll that includes personal information than a non-gun owner. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 04:22:31 PM »
It also helps explain the shortages of some ammo. 

That's actually a good point. My old brain may be letting me down, but I don't remember ammo shortages anything like we have now back 30 years ago. Short supply occasionally, but outright, "we're sold out, don't know when we'll have any again", not so much. Same with reloading supplies.

Of course it might not be directly correlated to raw numbers - it could be that the modern shooting culture panics about that stuff more than past populations.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 05:07:29 PM »
Lots of new gun owners and hoarders because neckbeards and zombies.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »
That's actually a good point. My old brain may be letting me down, but I don't remember ammo shortages anything like we have now back 30 years ago. Short supply occasionally, but outright, "we're sold out, don't know when we'll have any again", not so much. Same with reloading supplies.

Of course it might not be directly correlated to raw numbers - it could be that the modern shooting culture panics about that stuff more than past populations.

I don't ever remember even short supply.  Unless it was some bizarre loading that sat on a shelf until there was an inch of dust on it before someone bought it, and then the store owner wouldn't order anymore unless someone came in and asked for it.  .22LR could be had in anything from 50 round boxes to "value packs" of 500-550.  And always lots on the shelves.   And I would wager that most manufacturers probably knew to the case or pallet how many of each loading they could expect to sell in any given year.   Until 9/11.  The growth of CCW also spurred shortages.  I disremember which year there were 6 new .380 ACP (which had always been a sleepy little cartridge) pistols introduced and you couldn't find .380 ammo for love nor money.   And each year US (calls for gun control) and world events (terror attacks) clearly have driven demand and numbers of new shooters.  Back when I first joined my club in the mid-1990's, it had maybe 600 members and was mostly a shotgun club.  I doubt that more then 15 members had an AR or other EBR.   Most of the pistol shooters were Bullseye/Target shooters and the rifle shooters were all hunting or benchrest target shooters. 

Now it's completely reversed.  We have over 2000 members.  Most are pistol shooters and most of those are either CCW or SD (IDPA/IPSC) type shooters.   The rifles are now black and none are shot off of a bench.  Practical Rifle, 2 Gun, 3 Gun and Precision events are the big ones.  There's still Shotgun, but it's not the draw it was back when.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 06:48:15 PM »
Lots of new gun owners and hoarders because neckbeards and zombies.
It doesn't even have to be hoarding.  If everyone who owns a 22 rifle bought an extra brick when they saw one, the stock would disappear quickly. 

Or another perspective, when was the last time a manufacturer expanded rimfire production?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 07:47:59 PM »
To amplify on what Scout had to say we also now have several very up to date and large indoor ranges in Chicagoland not to mention better access to Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas.

The new modern gun stores/indoor ranges offer CCW classes and IDPA/IPSC type training/classes/events as well as large on hand inventories of handguns and black rifles.

That is a big improvement from the dark dingy ranges around here when I first started shooting (after 9/11).

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
I don't know if this proves anything, but the Conservation Dept. ranges around here were (or are) being renovated. Conservation runs two staffed ranges about a half-hour from where I live, which puts them about 30-45 minutes from St. Louis, and even closer to the heavily-populated rural and suburban communities that surround the city. As they only charge $3/hour, I would imagine they compete pretty well with the $18/hour indoor ranges,* or even the free, un-staffed Conservation Dept. ranges further out in the sticks. The Busch range in St. Charles County got particularly crowded on nice Saturdays, so that I got to planning my range trips on cold or rainy days.

But Busch is closed for the next 2-3 years, so they can tear down the old range, and erect a whole new setup, with bathrooms (thank goodness), classrooms, etc. The Jay Henges range was renovated a few years ago, but not as extensively. I don't know if that has more to do with skilled bureaucrats expanding the budget (and making the range more "green"), or an increase in traffic. Or both.

http://mdc.mo.gov/regions/st-louis/august-busch-shooting-range/august-busch-shooting-range-renovation

http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdcs-jay-henges-shooting-range-attains-4-star-rating-nssf

*There are at least 2 or 3 new indoor ranges in St. Louis County within the past 5 years, and as many new gun stores without ranges. One of the new ranges is ten minutes from my house, but it's much too expensive to be much of an option for me.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:41:47 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife