Author Topic: American gun ownership at an all-time low.  (Read 2271 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: American gun ownership at an all-time low.
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »
Yep.
For every person like me or others on this board, there are 40-50 that might not have a gun.

OTOH, I know of several women who have bought their first gun in the last year.

I'm probably biased because of the state I live, there are a lot of firearm owners, seems like a lot of people are born already owning firearms via inheritance.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 03:49:25 PM »
I'm probably biased because of the state I live, there are a lot of firearm owners, seems like a lot of people are born already owning firearms via inheritance.

Same here.
Rural folk almost always have guns in the house- I always thought my one set of grandparents odd that they didn't- they weren't into hunting/shooting. With other set of grandparents, I'm not even going to discuss what was found hidden in their house after they died.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 04:45:31 PM »
Ah percentages...

I'll say that the Colt Government model in its A1 configuration loaded with 200gr SWC mild reloads is the favorite handgun of 75% of the women I have taken shooting for the first time. The other 25% chose a .22LR Buckmark. 0% chose a Glock 9mm. 100% said they were now eager to buy a firearm when finances permitted (i.e., if there is a shoe budget surplus)..

Also, it is 110% easier to make a good shooter out of a novice female shooter than it is out of a novice male shooter. Go figure.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:48:38 PM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
If ANY of the surge in gun sales that have hit in the past years have been new shooters, at a rate faster than "old shooters" die, obviously the number of gun owners is increasing.

And when "old shooters" die, what happens to their guns? They're inherited. And some of the beneficiaries are new gun owners too.

I think the groups polling for this info have to know, if they have any intellectual honesty, that the results do not reflect reality. All that matters is if the people paying for the results like them, and if the methodology has no obvious method to discredit it that would make them look bad.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife