Author Topic: Michigan judge acts like an idiot, jails three kids for contempt  (Read 4375 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2015/07/09/michigan-judge-bullies-children-in-open-court-for-refusing-to-see-their-dad/

This is one of a hundred articles about this.

Now you all know me as the resident defender of the robe, the one who comes to the defense of judges who appear to be crazy, egotistical maniacs who issues rulings and decisions that appear to make little sense.  So it should impact you when I say this in all sincerity...

This woman is an idiot.

I've been asked a few times to hold a teen in contempt for refusing to participate in a visitation.  My standard response is to ask the lawyer or parent how time in jail is going to help a relationship that is apparently damaged to the point where the kid doesn't want to spend time with that parent.  But to stick a 9 or 10 year old in lock-up for a few weeks for this is simply unconscionable.  Even is Mom here is the bad guy, and has poisoned the kids against Dad, putting the three in lock up isn't going to fix things between the kids and dad.  hell, ordering the kids to go to lunch that day with Dad wasn't going to fix it either.  Looks like a case of a judge who doesn't like being told no and has too much of an ego to let it go.

Fire away at her, kids.  I'll be over here watching...

[popcorn]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Michigan judge acts like an idiot, jails three kids for contempt
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
Honestly, I want to know why the mother wasn't put in lock-up until the kids decide to have lunch with dad.

Seems to be putting the onus on the proper cause, if the Judge believes she's been poisoning the children against him.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:15:53 AM »
I do think Ken White hits the nail exactly on the head with this column. Do read it, it's very good.

http://popehat.com/2015/07/09/judge-lisa-gorcyca-doesnt-hate-kids-judge-lisa-gorcyca-hates-failure-to-submit/
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »
Whaddaya mean, gov't can't fix family problems?  Are they not smart enough?  I bet it is because we have not given folk like the good judge  in the article enough power and authority.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
Honestly, I want to know why the mother wasn't put in lock-up until the kids decide to have lunch with dad.

Seems to be putting the onus on the proper cause, if the Judge believes she's been poisoning the children against him.
Also, the judge was essentially threatening the children with jail time if they didn't submit, including the younger kids which strikes me as nuts.  That fact that they more or less did not says a lot to me.  The 15 year old flat out saying he saw his Dad hit his Mother makes me think the Mother isn't just poisoning the kids (or at least that is not all of it).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »
On another side of this:  What is the recourse for the kids/Mother?  Will a higher judge review this at all?  How difficult is that?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »
Respect my authoritah.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 11:14:33 AM »
On another side of this:  What is the recourse for the kids/Mother?  Will a higher judge review this at all?  How difficult is that?

This. I hope little miss priss has her tenure as judge cut short. She does not need to be anywhere near a courtroom.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 11:18:25 AM »

An appellate court can set aside her order, and can issue an emergency order.  Argue Due Process, Sixth Amendment Right to Counsel, etc., request a release order and that the case be returned for further hearing.  Now that the world is watching, Her Honor might proceed a bit differently (especially since she's an elected judge).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 04:30:10 PM »
An appellate court can set aside her order, and can issue an emergency order.  Argue Due Process, Sixth Amendment Right to Counsel, etc., request a release order and that the case be returned for further hearing.  Now that the world is watching, Her Honor might proceed a bit differently (especially since she's an elected judge).

It is California.  Chances are if she doesn't step down or forced to from higher powers, she will be re-elected.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 02:56:17 AM »
She watchin' too many Judge Judys or somethin'?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:19:13 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 03:42:33 AM »
It is California.  Chances are if she doesn't step down or forced to from higher powers, she will be re-elected.

It's Michigan, actually, near Detroit.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 05:57:17 AM »
Even if mom is poisoning the kids, why isn't she the one in jail then? My thoughts on the judge are neither civil, nor polite, so I'll refrain from going in depth on them. But I'm sure tall can use your imaginations to think of creative things I might be thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 06:27:37 PM »
1st thought: Just because there are no charges pending against the Dad and he appears to be a stand up guy in the community, that doesn't mean he is a good father. The kids could have perfectly reasonable reasons, other than spousal abuse, to not see their father. In fact, the father's seeming indifference to the children's plight (going to Israel? Really?) suggests to me that there could be significant emotional abuse and neglect.

2nd thought: I agree that, if this is the mother's fault, the mother should be on punished. However, using her punishment as leverage against the children is not acceptable. If she is incarcerated for poisoning the children against the father, it needs to be clear to the children that her punishment cannot be altered by their behavior.

3rd: Being high handed and a control freak with teenagers is not even remotely acceptable. As an authority figure, the judge needs to be able to understand and work with rebellious teenagers. Her actions and behavior are not helping this situation, nor will they do any good when dealing with any rebellious and stubborn teenager.
Yes, she has the power to act like that. Yes, the teenagers should (and in many cases, need) to learn to respect that power. That doesn't mean it's going to work. All she's doing is pissing off a kid to a point where they will never respect her, anyone like her or authority figures in general. You treat a teenager like that, you create a monster and you accomplish nothing.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
Just wondering - do judges have 24/7 armed guards like POTUS?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 08:42:05 PM »
Just wondering - do judges have 24/7 armed guards like POTUS?

No.  Maybe SCOTUS justices, but the rest of us are on our own.  I've been asked to teach a seminar on personal safety next year because of this issue.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »
No.  Maybe SCOTUS justices, but the rest of us are on our own.  I've been asked to teach a seminar on personal safety next year because of this issue.

I think you're safer that way honestly. I think the average, security conscious concealed carrier has better security than the average blissninny with accompanyment of a bored cop. We'd have to have North Korea levels of militarization/GDP to provide protection for any but the highest levels of gov't officials.

A better way of dealing with wretched behavior at this level is for friends/family/neighbors to simply give her the contempt and disrespect she deserves. Hopefully a recall election is in the offing as well.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 12:21:57 AM »
Detention order reversed. The kids are off to summer camp now.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 12:56:18 AM »
Detention order reversed. The kids are off to summer camp now.

The judge keeps making excuses for sending the kids to juvie, and it's BS.

Hell, the fact that the kids were willing to go to juvie rather than have lunch with their father is pretty telling that something is really wrong.

And while I highly doubt the mother is without sin (I'll bet she's trash talking the man left and right) I'll say again, there are a lot of legitimate reasons those children could have for not wanting to be involved with their father that wouldn't come out in court or be something he would be considered criminally at fault.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 05:35:48 PM »
No.  Maybe SCOTUS justices, but the rest of us are on our own.  I've been asked to teach a seminar on personal safety next year because of this issue.
I was thinking that - sometimes - application of the traditional "tar and feathers" would be quite instructive . . . but bodyguards probably wouldn't allow the ceremony to proceed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain