Author Topic: Electrical Question  (Read 2952 times)

larry_minn

Electrical Question
« on: May 14, 2005, 02:27:01 PM »
Here is story.   My mom is in a apt and the AC is mounted so dang high (controls 6' above floor behind her chair)   The plug looks like a 110 grounded plug with one (Hot) post turned 90 degrees.  I would guess 15-20amp 220.
  Anyway does anyone know of a remote so she can at least turn the thing off/on.  At present she unplugs the thing (4' above floor)  She would need a two step stool/chair and at over 80 I do NOT want her on chair/ladder.  
  I realize a new AC with remote control would be best but in a apt....  I have a couple 110v remote units  I love.  But have never seen a 220 one.  
  The other option is to mark the circut breaker and she can just trip it.  Other ideas?  
  BTW I do intend to talk to folks running apt complex and suggest as most residents over 70 they replace AC units with one with simple remote (read wall thermostats) but that is unlikely.

TarpleyG

• friend
Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 02:55:44 PM »
I see remote adapters at Home Depot, Lowes, et al all the time, esp. around Christmas.  The only issue is rating and of course the funky plug that it has.  I am sure you could Google up something ot another that would work.

Greg

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Electrical Question
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 05:25:23 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

larry_minn

Electrical Question
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 06:41:12 PM »
Thanks Harold T but again I get back to it being a apt.  I really can't be pulling wiring/installing switches/etc.  
  I know I could make something and for myself no big deal.  But when it is a multi unit apt the liability factor goes WAY up.  Lets just say her neighbor (massive smoker) leaves a cig going and leaves.  Three hours later it burns thru common wall and my mom is also not at home.  Next apt is empty and as said everyone over 70s. (hard of hearing)  So fire burns her chair by AC and finally someone notices/FD called and lucky nobody hurt.  They see mom's burned chair/wall and a mickey mouse adapter for AC.   (6' cord plugged into outlet going to disconnect and a 6' cord with femle plug for AC to plug into.  Mounted on her side table.   Think they will look any farther?   I wire my own garage/shed/well/etc but don't dare touch others.  Even for Church I won't do simple wiring (often)  as I am not lic/bonded/etc.  
  Thanks for ideas.   My best idea might be to buy a AC and replace hers with understanding that when she moves out the old unit goes back in.  Most contracts for rental  don't allow that and anything mounted/attached MUST stay with apt.

cfabe

• friend
Electrical Question
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 10:19:02 AM »
The plug with one prong sideways is either a 20A 110v plug or a 15 or 20 amp 220v plug, depending on which prongs are turned which way.  Looking at the wall outlet, the right hand prong determines voltage, 110 is vertical and 220v is horiz. The other determines amperage, on 110 vert is 15A and horiz is 20A. On a 220v it is reversed. So

|.|   is 15A,110V  |.- is 20A, 220v, -.| is 20A, 110V and -.- is 15A 220V.  (viewed with ground prong at bottom)

There are X10 appliance control modules for 20A 110v and 220V equipment. Here is one example
http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_hd245.htm If you go this route it will at least let her turn the unit on and off remotely. You'll need to get an X10 controller to control it.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Electrical Question
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 04:00:37 PM »
come out of the wall socket to a plug
plug cord runs inside conduit
conduit terminates in a wallmounted box
with another wall socket and a switch

not mickey mouse but industrial
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

41 Redhawk

Electrical Question
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 08:44:13 AM »
cfabe, why don't you add the ground prong to your drawings above. That way if someone encounteres an outlet put in upside down, they won't get a nasty surprise.

41 Redhawk

Electrical Question
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 08:04:17 AM »
That  looks cool cfabe (I hope you added that text about the ground plug being down and I didn't just miss it orginally Smiley)

cfabe

• friend
Electrical Question
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 08:10:33 AM »
Yes, I did add it. Good suggestion.