Author Topic: Inverters?  (Read 1491 times)

Paddy

Inverters?
« on: May 15, 2005, 05:15:42 PM »
Anybody use these to run 120V power tools from a truck battery?  Here's what I'm thinking.  I've got a lot of brush overhead above a long driveway.  I could rent or buy a gas powered hedge trimmer, but I can't hold it above my head long enough (several hours) to get the job done.  An electric hedgetrimmer is lighter, but the rechargeables don't have enough power to get the job done.  A 120V machine can cut branches up to 3/4". They draw about 3 amps.  Amps x volts= watts, right?  So if I buy a 600 watt inverter for about $70, I'm in business, right?  

Any danger of an inverter (Tripp-Lite) frying the electronics/computer in the truck?

Moondoggie

• friend
Inverters?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 05:41:22 PM »
I use a big inverter (3000 watts) in my big truck.  Runs a small microwave, fridge, toaster, printer, etc.

It's recommended that you use an in-line fuse close to your battery.  You can get them at car stero shops.  The kids need them for those gigantic subwoffers you can hear from 4 blocks away.  For this heavy intended usage, don't try to connect your inverter via a cigarette lighter plug-in.

Be sure that your cables are large enough to handle the current.  Jumper cables should be plenty.

Also, make sure to use more than enough inverter....the listed power draw on an appliance is for while it's running.  Many motors take more amps for start-up.  Be sure to leave your motor running so's not to drain your battery...although the better inverters have auto shut down at a certain volt level (10.5???) or at least an alarm.

Hope this helps.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Paddy

Inverters?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 06:13:50 AM »
Yes, it does help.  I wasn't aware they were used in the subwoofer boom box applications.  You don't see a lot of ricers broken down by the side of the road on account of fried electronics, so the technology must work pretty well.

By 'big truck' do you mean an 18 wheeler?  Are they on a 24 volt system?

mtnbkr

• friend
Inverters?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:00:19 AM »
I wasn't aware they were used in the subwoofer boom box applications
That's not what he meant.  He was talking about the heavy duty fuse you want to put inline with your DC power lead if you wire it directly.

I've never used an inverter, but I've never heard of a quality unit causing problems.

Chris

Moondoggie

• friend
Inverters?
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 07:33:17 AM »
MtnBkr is correct...I was referring to the in-line fuse.

Trucks are 12 volt.

The fuse is to prevent a fire in case you overload the circuit.  There is little or no risk of frying your vehicle's computer sys or other electronic components...you're just drawing power from the battery.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

larry_minn

Inverters?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 04:47:36 AM »
I agree never use the cig lighter plug.  Have you looked how small those wires are?   12V dc has great loss for every foot.  So IMO put the inverter as close to power source (battery) and use longer 110v ac extension cord.  I have a cheap one just in case.  I mainly bought it because it was cheaper then car charger for cell phone/light/etc.  IF major power fails for long time I can use it to charge cell phone/lights/FRS radios/etc.

mtnbkr

• friend
Inverters?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 05:21:41 AM »
While we're on the subject, is there any truth to the notion that you have to have a specially rated inverter for sensitive electronics like computers?  I read some time ago that the cheap inverters that you see for sale in most stores aren't "clean" enough for laptops, etc.  

Chris

Paddy

Inverters?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 05:24:47 PM »
Yes, I understand for computers, printers and even rechargeable batteries you need a pure sine converter.  I was reading about it somewhere, maybe here:
http://www.invertersrus.com/

I've got the 1250 Watt $139 special on order. Should have it Thursday.

Paddy

Inverters?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 06:57:05 PM »
Got the inverter today.  First, it's BIG, (15.25" x 7.75" x 3" ) and I don't have a place on the truck to mount it (heh, until I get a brushguard of some kind).  Second, it has more features than advertised, like 'soft start', which apparently gradually powers up to allow an inductive load, like on electric motors to get going.  It also has a receptacle that looks like a big phone jack, but is not mentioned in the literature.  I haven't fired it up yet, will let you know how it works.