Author Topic: A thought, and question, on world superpowers  (Read 1844 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
A thought, and question, on world superpowers
« on: May 19, 2005, 09:05:50 AM »
If nothing else, being out of college for the summer is giving me a LOT of time to ponder.  My latest is on superpowers.

1) The modern world has always had a superpower.  From the Romans, to the Byzantines, to the Muslims, to the Mongols, the Ottomans, to the British and French, to the Americans and Russians.  There has been at least one superpower almost always since the first century.

2) These superpowers are ever changing.  World events can radically shift the superpowers in a matter of years.  It is not impossible to topple a superpower, either by military or economical force.

3) Superpowers become superpowers by having few, if any rivals.  Whether by military conquest by the superpowers, or by rivals destroying each other.  This can be purposely done, as in the first example, or a third country can be thrown into superpower status as in the second example, simply by being the only one available to fill the void.

So my questions are, can the world survive without a superpower?  Will it be possible to have a world without at least one country effectively policing the world, or at least large parts of it?  And if we ever got to the point of no superpowers, could we remain there without someone trying to fill the position?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 09:45:29 AM »
You need to go back to school.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s there was no one superpower.  England, France, Germany, and Russia all vied for the title.
Under the Romans, they faced the Parthians and the Carthaginians for a lot of their history.
The US has been the sole superpower for all of 15 years.  Prior to that things were divided up between us and the USSR.
Typically there is a balance of power.  Where there is one superpower, like the Persians, other states band together to off-set that power, like the Greek city states did.
This is why you see France acting like it does in the international sphere.  They are trying to form alliances to counter balance the US's awesome power.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 09:51:02 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
There has been at least one superpower almost always since the first century.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 12:17:29 PM »
Yep, what Ian said.  I realize that there have been periods of time that there hasn't been a superpower, and some that there were multiple.  But there aren't spans of centuries without a superpower, which is what my question is getting at.  It seems whenever there is a void, it doesn't take too long to fill it.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 01:43:06 PM »
The next one will be China.

The US will dribble off into social/economic/military decline much after the model of the UK.
Known from coast to coast, almost!