Author Topic: Tip for the protein drink people  (Read 4765 times)

Tip for the protein drink people
« on: May 19, 2005, 02:24:46 PM »
SOFT TOFU. It makes it SO much better, blend up your drink mix and some lowfat or soy milk and some fruit, maybe freeze the fruit ahead of time and use the ice crush setting at first- MMmmmmm good.

Here's my own personal recipe:

Soft tofu. Toss in a medium package.
Fresh fruits, or fresh fruits frozen in your freezer.
Optional: Non-concentrate fruit juice, preferably one that isn't bulked up by apple juice.
Some carrot and zuchhini to take the edge off the sugars.
Lowfat milk (or soymilk).
Protein mix. Toss in your creatine and other supplements too. Fruit juice improves uptake.
Put in amounts of each ingredient that suit you (some practice making smoothies helps here).

Blend on high, chill in fridge or enjoy at room temperature.

Enjoy.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 03:06:58 PM »
tofu is gross.

Fatcat

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 04:30:07 PM »
That sounds pretty good (minus the tofu... Tongue). I'm usually too tired/lazy to concoct an elaborate drink, so I just mix my GNC Pro-Complex with milk and chug it down. It ain't bad.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 04:32:26 PM »
I like donuts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 04:33:37 PM »
My husband does the tofu-protein shakes.  He's a beast, so it must work.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 05:40:58 PM »
tofu is gross.
HERETIC!!!  BLASPHEMER!!!!  The Holy curd of the Holy bean is G*D!!!!!  Now go forth and hug some trees while munching on rocks, twigs and dirt.

[/sarcasm]  Cheesy

Hmmmm...never considered added soft tofu to the protein drink mixes. I normally just mix it up with some ice cold water and consume it.  I usually can't stand soft tofu, though I like the hard tofu a lot.  I may have to give your recipe a try Blackburn.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 05:47:53 PM »
That sounds good, I'll have to try it.

Chris

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 05:51:01 PM »
Tofu is nasty stuff. Is it really a complete protein?  Didn't I hear something awhile back about soy destroying your brain?

Yeah  here-

http://www.mercola.com/2000/sep/17/soy_brain.htm

http://creativehealth.netfirms.com/soydangr.shtml

http://www.becomehealthynow.com/article/soy/1087/

Google is my friend.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 06:07:36 PM »
I think I'm going to puke...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

duck hunt

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 06:45:11 PM »
Riley, two of those sites are Joe Mercola, who is an osteopath, not an MD, and has been cited as being "among the most insidious purveyors of medical misinformation on the internet" and "one of the largest purveyors of unscientific and dangerous medical advice on the internet."  His site is a shill for his vitamin supplements and includes some pretty off the wall stuff if you delve into it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 06:57:44 AM »
Wow. Eating too much soy might be dangerous.

And that's different from any other product... How?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 07:08:27 AM »
Dangers of soy links:

http://www.roex.com/Articles/dangerofsoylinks.htm

Google is our friend. Smiley

I dunno, Mike. Did you ever hear of problems from eating too much celery, for example? Tongue

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 07:11:47 AM »
Actually yes, Celery is bad. It's a diuretic. And is chock full of carcenigens (or so I've read).

[EDIT]
Um, uh...I meant carcinogens.  :embarrassment:

Either way I tried to google it, never mind. I started reading and immediately my eyeballs fell into the back of my head. I could care less how bad tofu and celery are for me. I don't like either food. I'll just stick to my steak and eggs,  potatoes and greens.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 07:20:34 AM »
Think about it, Riley.

If you eat too much celery to the exclusion of other foods, what's going to happen? You're going to eventually show serious medical problems. Celery has very little nutritional value, and in fact takes more calories to process it than it provides.

But, let's restrict this to simply protein sources...

Beef, lamb, pork, poultry, fish? Some are healthier than othes, but eating too much animal protein has myriad problems associated with it, from cholesterol to toxic chemicals such as PCBs to mercury.

Pulses other than soybeans? Incomplete complex proteins, with some indications that overdosing on these can cause metabolic and liver problems.

Eggs, cheeses, and other animal derived sources? See meat above.

Nuts/peanuts? Other than the allergy issues, which are crucially important for some people, nuts are a pretty excellent source of protein.

Once again, moderation is the key to the consumption of any food, and the maintenance of any healthy diet.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 07:22:31 AM »
Hey, you know, here's a webpage that I'm going to go to for ALL of my health-related information!

http://www.doctorsaredangerous.com/

I think the page actually ought to be named "Old Biddy Cranks with Internet Access are Dangerous."

HOLY CRAP! This woman is freaking insane!

http://www.doctorsaredangerous.com/extract_acid.html

Paddy

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 07:28:39 AM »
Moderation and balance, especially concerning dietary practices, are sensible and judicious.  However, we're speaking of the dangers of soy as an adjunct to other foods, not as a replacement, as in your celery example.

And yes, doctorsaredangerous.  A reported 90,000 patients die each year as a result of medical mistakes.  That number is both unacceptable and avoidable.

duck hunt

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 07:37:07 AM »
Riley:

legitimate peer reviewed journal or publication
That's ANOTHER vitamin huckster site you've posted.  We're looking for something reliable.

Google isn't your friend if you believe every site it indexes -- it's your enemy!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 07:44:25 AM »
"And yes, doctorsaredangerous.  A reported 90,000 patients die each year as a result of medical mistakes.  That number is both unacceptable and avoidable."

And how many die because of cranks like the people at doctorsaredangerous?

Unfortunately we don't know that because cranks aren't regulated as doctors are.

Here's another fact of life. Doctors are human beings, just like you and me. And I've yet to meet the infaliable human being (well, cranklady Elaine apparently believes herself to be so) who is incapable of making a mistake. A line needs to be drawn between mistakes that are true mistakes (one-time misdiagnosis, unexpected drug interaction, etc.) as compared to mistakes that are bred from incompetence.

I'm looking through your list, but I'm still not finding any evidence of the dangers of soy backed by long-term studies. A few rapid "studies," lots of dramatic supposition, wild-eyed hysterical old biddies...

Lots of blow, so far, absolutely zero show as to whether soy is truly dangerous, either as an adjunct product or a replacement product.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 07:48:26 AM »
If this is the kind of "research" and "care" that is exercised by the anti-soy people, then you really have to wonder what kind of care they're excercising in their "studies..."

A quote from one of the pages...

"The propaganda that has created the soy sales miracle is all the more remarkable because, only a few decades ago, the soybean was considered unfit to eat - even in Asia.

Then they go on to talk about how the soy bean has been used in Asian food for over 2,000 years.

A "few" decades indeed.

Paddy

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 07:59:57 AM »
I don't know whether soy is dangerous or not.  I'm at work, I'm bored and I'm just stirring up controversy.  That said, however, I wouldn't place a lot of credence in so-called 'legitimate peer reviewed journals', either.  They're always changing their minds and 'facts'.  Remember when caffeine was bad for you, then several years later they 'discovered' that decaf coffee was worse?  Or when they decided that a low fat diet was the only way to go, then they 'discovered' that a low fat diet increased the risk of Alzheimer's?  Plus, there is always the added worry that their loyalties lie elsewhere (big pharmaceutical companies) and they're just setting you up to sell you a new drug.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 08:10:49 AM »
I can post a link from t-nation. It contains references and everything, but I doubt the article would go down well with neutrals and pro-soy people - t-nation hate soy, largely because they argue that it has estrogen-mimicking effects. The 'T' in t-nation stands for testosterone.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Paddy

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 08:22:59 AM »
I've heard beer contains high estrogen levels also.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 08:40:54 AM »
That said, however, I wouldn't place a lot of credence in so-called 'legitimate peer reviewed journals', either.  They're always changing their minds and 'facts'.  Remember when caffeine was bad for you, then several years later they 'discovered' that decaf coffee was worse?  Or when they decided that a low fat diet was the only way to go, then they 'discovered' that a low fat diet increased the risk of Alzheimer's?
Uhhh.. RileyMc, you do understand that thats how the process of science and discovery works, do you not?  Somebody reaches a conclusion based on the evidence and studies they've done or have access to, publish it.  Their peers review it, some duplicate the work and get the same results.  It becomes established doctrine.  Somebody elses says "Thats bull&#*%", does additional research that disproves the original conclusion.  It gets reviewed, sometimes the doctrine is changed by the new information.

If we don't use peer-reviewed journals, what should we use?  Tabloids?  Street corner nutritionists?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 08:46:23 AM »
Caffeine is bad for you.
HEY NOW!!!  Don't be slamming my favorite external mood altering chemical! Wink

Paddy

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 09:00:05 AM »
It becomes established doctrine.  Somebody elses says "Thats bull&#*%", does additional research that disproves the original conclusion.  It gets reviewed, sometimes the doctrine is changed by the new information.
As an accountant, I wonder if I could get away with that.  Prepare a tax return or a financial statement, then a little while later smack my forehead and proclaim "Dayum, you really didn't have a profit; it was a huge loss".  Or "You really don't get a refund; you owe a bundle".