Author Topic: Looks like the THR upgrade is already here...  (Read 2149 times)

Nightfall

• friend
Looks like the THR upgrade is already here...
« on: May 20, 2005, 06:28:37 AM »
Message at THR says things are being, uh, done. I'm not expecting to see a big difference on my 56k though. :p

So does this mean any changes for APS?
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 06:53:31 AM »
i was about 30 minutes into a deer dressing post and was greeted by that screen after i hit the submit button....

damnit...

jobu07

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 06:54:58 AM »
The waiting is the worst part! Sad

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 07:35:13 AM »
Quote: i was about 30 minutes into a deer dressing post and was greeted by that screen after i hit the submit button

Ha, I was doing the exact same thing and got the exact same screen.  Thats crazy!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 07:41:11 AM »
Ack!   Derek says he started at 11am.   1.5 hours for database dump, 4 hours for transfer...   Minimum of 5pm before THR is up.

twitch, twitch
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 08:26:08 AM »
You know...we have to do crap like this is the middle of the night where I work so as not to affect the users.  But, the again, this is all for fun, right?

Blackburn--seamless transition???  Hahahaha LOL, I like that one.

Oh, and one other good thing about this--now the server will be in a proper data center and when we get our dose of 4 hurricanes this year, THR should still be up and running.  Cool, huh?

Greg

SMLE

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 08:51:19 AM »
Quote from: TarpleyG
You know...we have to do crap like this is the middle of the night where I work so as not to affect the users.  But, the again, this is all for fun, right?
The thing is, THR is a 24 7 place. You'll disturb users at ANY time of the day or night you do this sort of thing. So Derek might as well do it when he's normally up and not have to opull an all-nighter.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 08:58:07 AM »
Exactly.  THR is offered to us free of charge, so complaining about Mr. Z's choice of time to get things done seems a bit churlish.  At least it's finally getting done, and the downtime should be reduced to all but nil. ;-)
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 10:43:42 AM »
Yep, there are many users on at 1am when I am on

as for this though:
For those of you bored out of your skulls at work, I'm sorry, but you really should be working. Wink
What are those of us bored out of our skulls at home supposed to do?  I actually had to go out and shoot today because THR wasn't up Tongue
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 02:15:22 PM »
Must...have...t...h...r.........................................................
One day at a time.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 03:19:44 PM »
Look fellas, what I said was in jest...you know, tongue firmly in cheek.  Guess you have to be an IT dork to get the joke.  Must be nice to not have to go through change control and that whole witch hunt to do something productive.

Greg

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 12:53:39 PM »
Well, it would have been nice to do it seamlessly.  The problem is the size of the dataset.

Out database here (not counting attachments) is something like 2 gigabytes.  In order to move it without any real interruption, we'd have had to mirror the database across 2 machines, which were also running different revisions of the database software.  I _could_ have been done, but it'd have been God-aweful slow in the mean-time.  

Better IMHO to bite the bullet and get it over with.

The good news is that now THR is part of a cluster of machines, and migrations, while not seamless, will be much easier.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 01:04:55 PM »
Well, it would have been nice to do it seamlessly.
If I had a nickel for every time I've said that...  

Imagine, if you will, two identical Dell servers.  One of them had a high probability of a major failure (bad batch of motherboards), so Dell sent us an identical machine (from a different lot, obviously) and a return label.  We decided against just swapping the hard drives (I don't know why, but it didn't end up making any difference), and instead went for a fresh install and a system state restore.  One would think that we could just back up the old one, do a restore to the new one, and swap 'em out.  That gives us about 30 seconds of downtime.  Fortunately, we were smart enough to do this on Friday at 1800.  Everything lit up just fine.  All the lights came on, the system booted up just fine, everything is cool...  except that it couldn't talk to the network.  On the same segment, everything could talk to it...  but some stupid ACL in a series of switches (why we had to layer that I don't know) was preventing that new NIC's MAC address from traversing the switch...  and the next switch...  and the router... and so on.  So four hours into our thirty seconds of downtime, we finally figure this out.  

Oh well, at least I got overtime.

You never remember the upgrades that go off without a hitch, which outnumber the failures by 10 to 1, but you'd better not bring email down longer than you'd planned, or the users line up at the door to scream at you.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 01:13:09 PM »
Always plan outages for much longer than you expect.  That way, if things go as planned, everyone is happy that things went quicker than expected, rather than if things go bad, people complain that things took much longer than planned.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'