Author Topic: Anyone else a pyro?  (Read 3152 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Anyone else a pyro?
« on: May 20, 2005, 10:48:36 AM »
I was sitting down filling out paperwork for 4th of July fireworks show for the town I live in and wondered if anyone else here on APES does the same. It is new to me becuase I went from shooter last year to chair of the Jaycees 4th of July Fireworks commitee. Interesting on the amount of paperwork that it takes to put on a show and all the letters of permission and so forth.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 10:51:35 AM »
I plead the fifth Wink

It is great having Chem-Eng friends Cheesy
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Typhoon

• friend
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 11:22:08 AM »
Absolutely!  I had the good fortune to grow up outside the United States, and was not subjected to silly fireworks regulations as a kid.  I also had cool parents.  Dang, I miss playing with bottle rockets, smoke bombs, cherry bombs, 2B bombs, firecrackers, roman candles...Sigh, how I could go on....

Oh, well, at least I have my guns...
To the stars!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 11:30:25 AM »

Uh, no, I'm not a pyro...   What makes you say that?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Typhoon

• friend
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 11:40:21 AM »
I wanna play!!
To the stars!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »
revdisk

Iraq?

Uranus is a gas giant.

BillBlank

• friend
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 11:49:31 AM »
Well, does this count? My 5th birthday party went something like, "thats it, * parts nitric, * sulphuric, leave the hanky in there for a tick" et voila, the incredible exploding hanky trick. Dad was a nutcase with a pharmacist for a friend. Do you know how HARD it was to get hold of pure glycerin? Came in useful after the 87 storm for getting rid of stumps Smiley.

To quote Baldrick, "BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM; BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM" etc.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

wasrjoe

Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 12:30:36 PM »
EOD fun, Rev?
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 03:29:12 PM »
for RevDisk,

"Use enough dynamite there, Butch?"
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

P95Carry

Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 03:35:13 PM »
Another guilty pyro here! LOL - tho not with such goodies as RevDisk displayed!!

Used to organize and operate at largish displays ... always good!  Back in '85 gained my shotfirer's cert' tho sadly never used it to a great extent.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 03:41:04 PM »
revdisk

Iraq?
Unlikely.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 05:39:47 PM »
Quote from: charby
revdisk

Iraq?
Nope.  Never been there.  

Quote from: wasrjoe
EOD fun, Rev?
Yep.

Quote from: Fly320s
for RevDisk,

"Use enough dynamite there, Butch?"
Heh, I have Issues.  No really, I do.

http://www.revdisk.net/photos/issues01.jpg

http://www.revdisk.net/photos/issues02.jpg
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wasrjoe

Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 07:26:42 PM »
Rev, I was >
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

HForrest

Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »
Dammit, I saw this thread and knew RevDisk was going to make me hate him again with his military explosive pictures.

I'm totally a pyro. Any of you guys ever mess around with magnesium powder? I love the stuff.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 04:33:06 AM »

"Working on my shooting position"
Try getting that forward foot directly under your knee, that should stabiize it a little bit.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 05:54:44 AM »
Quote from: wasrjoe
Rev, I was >
EOD isn't an easy choice these days.  There is a limit on how many people they can accept.  A good number of team leaders have been wiped out in Afghanistan and Iraq.   They're not gonna send some FNG out of school out to defuse bombs.  The FNG is a 'tool monkey' for a while until he learns how to really do his job.  Well, if a large number of the team leaders and other experienced folk are dead, it's hard for the FNG's to actually learn their job.

BTW, I'm not an EOD tech.  I just worked with 'em at times.

Quote from: Combat-wombat
Dammit, I saw this thread and knew RevDisk was going to make me hate him again with his military explosive pictures.

I'm totally a pyro. Any of you guys ever mess around with magnesium powder? I love the stuff.
For magnesium, I prefer the ribbons.  Easy enough to light off with a blow torch.   Powdered metals are fun, though.  Copper, aluminum, etc.  Pretty colours.   Toss a pinch of corn starch into a fire sometime.  Only, stand back a bit.

Quote from: JamisJockey
Try getting that forward foot directly under your knee, that should stabiize it a little bit.
I tried it, but I didn't like the feel.  Leaning into the weapon seemed more stable for me.  That position isn't just for making one or two aimed shots, but being comfy enough to shoot all day long.

InfidelSerf

• friend
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 09:06:14 AM »
Last 3rd of July I got a call from an old friend back home.. he said he was on his way up to KC in a Ryder truck full of class A fireworks.  He wanted to know if I wanted to help out.  I figured I would help unload a truck and stand far off and watch.  

It was on the 9th hole of a local country club.  I got to not only help unload the truck but to help fuse and set up the entire display.. then half of the guys split off to go set up another show.  It ended up being my friend, some guy he just met and I putting on this show.  We practiced a lighting routine (using flares on a broomstick) and once we were in position proceeded to put on a 29 minute display.  I can't describe how awesome it was to be directly under those fireworks.  Much less being the one to light them.
We got alot of praise since they bought a 20minute show.. we were worried that it would fall short.  Needless to say that was the best damn 4th of July I've ever had.  And I passed up an opportunity to go see an IRL race that day too.

From what I understand, anyone can get a pyrotechnics license by just working 3 shows with a licensed pyrotech, then taking a test.  
Am I wrong?
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 09:33:52 AM »
Yeah I love to shoot the shows, I am not sure about the license, might have to look into that since I do shoot with a licensed pyro guy.

Charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

Kingcreek

• friend
Anyone else a pyro?
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 10:01:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm guilty of being a pyro.
as a kid we used to fill surplus weather ballons from the oxy/acetylene tanks.
Lately I've been satisfied with "natural burns". my 23 acre native prairie project requires a controlled burn every 2-3 years- switch grass, big blue stem, cheyene and other grasses 6 feet tall make a nice fire! Roars like a frieght train and can be seen for miles.
What we have here is failure to communicate.