Author Topic: Battery type question  (Read 610 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Battery type question
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:37:54 PM »
A wile ago I made a post about battery capacities for use with a sump pump.
The unit currently has a normal boat sized deep cycle battery.
I just scored 2 lightly used 8d batteries. They are of the maintenance free variety. Can I hook all these together or only the 2 identical ones?
Will the charger notice the difference between deep cycle and maintenance free?

Also anyone want to stop by and help me hump these mothers into the basement?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
Re: Battery type question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »
A wile ago I made a post about battery capacities for use with a sump pump.
The unit currently has a normal boat sized deep cycle battery.
I just scored 2 lightly used 8d batteries. They are of the maintenance free variety. Can I hook all these together or only the 2 identical ones?
Will the charger notice the difference between deep cycle and maintenance free?

8Ds are typically starting batteries - not deep-cycle - so they won't last too long in continuous service.  Do you have a part number or brand on the batteries?

If they're deep-cycle, then you're good to go.  Connect in parallel and move the other battery into some other service.  The 8Ds will probably want slightly different charge characteristics than a smaller battery.  Your charger will probably do them just fine.  BTW, maintenance-free does not mean fire-and-forget.  Unless they're completely sealed, pull the caps every month or so and check the water.  Those batteries make a serious bang(and a fair mess) when they pop :)

If I'm loading 8Ds onto a pallet, truck bed, or otherwise changing height, I grab the rope handle on one side and the hold-down foot on the other.  If you can hang on with your fingers it's actually easier on your arms than just dangling.

For what it's worth, in the future consider stringing a pair of golf cart 6V batteries, instead of the single 12V marine.  They'll cost you more to buy, but even the cheapies(ours are 208Ah) will give you better run-time(your present 12V is probably 75-90Ah) and longer service.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »
Yes they are starting batteries. They are completely sealed.
I have a friend that has a friend (you know how that goes) that works on big generators. They change theses things within every 2 years.
The existing 12 volt came with the house.
I have 2 of these puppies.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »
I'm familiar with the friend-of-a-friend system.  I actually have "lightly-used" Optimas in all of my own cars, as well as cast-off UPS systems behind household electronics, and a "warranty" jumpbox in my garage :D
The Cats are definitely good-quality batteries, but as starting batteries they won't serve you well in what you need them for.  If the pictured battery is what you have, then it was built in June(F) 2007(7).

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »

You have steps leading down to the basement?  You have a plank about as long as the hypotenuse of the triangle made by the staircase?  You have a length of rope with a breaking strength about twice the weight of the battery?  Why do you need help?

BTW, if you do not have a plank, or your staircase is spiral, a square of cardboard will substitute fairly well.  (It does, however, suck for bringing them back up the stairs.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.