Author Topic: RealAudio capture?  (Read 1171 times)

JAlexander

• friend
RealAudio capture?
« on: July 08, 2005, 06:19:53 AM »
Do any of y'all happen to know of a good (and free) method of capturing RA streams?  I'd just like to be able to save it on my HD and watch/listen at home rather than suffer through the fits and starts of the stream.

James

InfidelSerf

• friend
RealAudio capture?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 06:29:47 AM »
I used to record many streams from various sources with Sound Forge by Sonic Foundy.
You should be able to use any free recording program.. but basically it will record from the output signal to your speakers...
so it doesn't matter if it is streaming or from a cd playing.

With Sound Forge it gave me the ability to record a 3hr long streaming radio talk show.. then I would go back and cut out the commercial breaks.  Then I would convert that large .wav file to an .mp3
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
RealAudio capture?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 07:08:27 AM »
real audio is an end format that is designed to defy capturing

a clever man might take the speaker output and plug it into the microphone input
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

InfidelSerf

• friend
RealAudio capture?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 07:49:37 AM »
It's not that difficult.. if it plays on your speakers.. it can be captured.. but you will be capturing ALL ouput.. so if you have sounds on msging apps etc.. they will be included in the recording.  Not a biggie as long as you shut them off during your recording.. or just deal with it.
As Mr. Tuttle stated you can always do the output to mic trick.  But with Sound Forge you can avoid that as it captures that output signal internally.
I'm sure other free recording apps could do the same.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
RealAudio capture?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 04:59:35 PM »
I had to work through this myself recently.  This works for me.

A little utility called vsound will capture any OSS audio stream to a wav file.  

Realaudio capture goes like this: "vsound -f whatever.wav helix-player -q whichever.ram" (with Real codecs in the appropriate place, of course) produces a wav file from the RA stream.  Use lame or audacity to convert to the audio file format of choice.

(watch your assumptions.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.