Author Topic: Might be moving to Phoenix/Chandler, AZ, any home rental suggestions?  (Read 1316 times)

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
If you have had good luck dealing with a certain company for a home rental, suggestions are appreciated! There are a ton of homes listed for rent (too bad the buying isn't that easy) and would like to hopefully slim the choices down. Thanks!

TarpleyG

• friend
Might be moving to Phoenix/Chandler, AZ, any home rental suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 03:29:04 AM »
Some advice from someone who did this type of thing in 2000.  My wife and I moved from Dallas to Ft. Lauderdale because of my job.  We decided to rent as that's what we did in Dallas and we didn't really know where to live in Ft. Lauderdale.  BIG mistake.  If I had bought the house I am in now in 2, I would have paid about $90,000 for it.  Instead, we waited until 3 years later and paid $149,000.  Now, 2 years later, it would sell for $240,000 or so.

Now, there may be things that preclude you from buying ot things you think preclude you from buying but if you do your research and work really hard at finding what you want, it'll pay off.  The mortgage companies are pratically giving away money now and if you have good credit, you can do it for almost nothing down.  I know this isn't what you asked for but please consider the amount of money you will save in the next few years.  Hell, if the housing market is like it is in south Florida, you can make a lot of money.

Greg

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 03:42:18 AM »
If the housing market is like it is in South Florida, it might be just about to peak and decline, too. Real estate speculation is fine for someone with money to invest, but dangerous when it's your residence. There have been alot of rumblings from very good economists, the same guys that predicted the dot com crash that everyone poo-poo'ed cause they were too busy making millions, that some realestate markets are rediculously over valued and ready to peak. I believe phoenix is one of those markets. Buy wisely.

Preacherman

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 03:46:22 AM »
Working in the Federal prison system as I do, we have many staff who transfer to other prisons every three years or so, on promotion, or to gain wider experience to equip themselves for promotion.  I guess it's a bit like military families in that respect.  Anyway, what several of them have chosen to do is to buy a large travel trailer, and when they move, they use the trailer for the first two to three months while they scope out the local real estate market.  They then buy something suitable, and lay up the trailer until next time (using it for holiday travel as well, of course).

One of them told me recently that by looking around, one can get a good 25-30 foot trailer for plus-or-minus $10K (used), and that with normal care, this should last for ten to twenty years.  He reckons he and his family have saved a lot more than the cost of the trailer by using it as temporary housing during his moves, and by being able to shop around more carefully at his new post.  He has three kids, but says that this really isn't a problem:  the "master bedroom" in the trailer is separate, and his kids sleep either on the sofas, or in a tent outside the trailer, which is an adventure for them.  Most trailer parks have decent bathrooms, so hygiene isn't a major problem.

Might be worth thinking about.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 06:09:20 AM »
From the trends of the housing in Phoenix, I believe cfabe is correct that it is about to peak. The prices are insane to buy currently, and having to win a lottery to have a chance to buy is even worse on top of it. If we had purchased in Tucson several years ago, we could have turned a tidy profit, but it was going to happen 5 years ago when I barely started my job and had crap credit.

Preacherman, nice idea if were going to be staying on the move, but for just me and my wife, plus a roommate which has family in Phoenix anyways, it wouldn't make sense. The other people who could possibly be moving to Phoenix would not be willing to do this either, most have money to burn on buying a house anyways, or have too many kids and will rent while waiting for the housing market to settle down.