Author Topic: For the geek in all of us - 1 petaflop sustained  (Read 15887 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: For the geek in all of us - 1 petaflop sustained
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »

Or, what if the AI is programmed to value and protect human life, perhaps even "love" humanity? The counter-argument of course is that the AI would just edit that part of itself away. Well, here's an analogy. We (who are parents) are programmed to love our children. If I offered you an injection that would re-program you to no longer care about them, and some legal papers which freed you to live any lifestyle of your choosing, would you take it?

I thought Asimov's 3 Laws were sacrosanct.

And as for your question - where do I sign?  Blue ink, black ink, or blood - what's your preference?

And can it be made retroactive?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 07:45:21 PM »
<div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><div class="quote">Scientists unveiled the world's fastest supercomputer Monday, a $100 million machine that for the first time has performed 1,000 trillion calculations per second in a sustained exercise.
</div>
Don't worry - the next version of MS Windows and Office will slow it down to a crawl  undecided" border="0

^^^ THREAD WIN!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2011, 09:55:07 AM »
Quote from: AJ Dual link=topic=13139.msg240293#msg240293

Fortunately there's quantum encryption too. Which is unbreakable unless you've got the fundamental ability to alter the physical laws of the universe. And it has the added benifit that quantum encryption can even tell the reciever if someone tried to read the message because the quantum signature is altered by the very act of (unsuccessfully) reading the message.

Heh heh heh.

http://www.revdisk.net/photos.php?spgmGal=Defcon17&spgmPic=13#spgmPicture

Hackers.   Doing the impossible for sixty years. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »
self-duped.  I R so embarrased....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:38:50 PM by richyoung »
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2011, 08:16:33 PM »
Imagine having any passage from any of those books dumped straight into your nice, clear short-term memory within a few microseconds on demand.  The most gifted eidetic memory would have trouble keeping up just because of the time it would take to read that many books.  No more racking your brain for a couple of minutes then resorting to Wolfram Alpha to get that formula you need once every two or three years, just pull up the page.  No hoping you remember the side effects and interactions of a drug correctly, just see the right page of the PDR faster than you can blink.

It strikes me that we are already doing a meat-space equivalent. Get asked a question you can't quite remember the answer? Google/Wiki, and have the information available to you in under 30 seconds*.

*YMMV

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »
It strikes me that we are already doing a meat-space equivalent. Get asked a question you can't quite remember the answer? Google/Wiki, and have the information available to you in under 30 seconds*.

It's getting that down to 30 microseconds that makes it cool.  Well, that and not having to type queries on a tiny phone keyboard.

I might even make an exception to the air-gapped system requirement if they could wire in Wolfram Alpha.