Author Topic: Logistics of the APS Pirate Hunting Expedition?  (Read 15589 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Logistics of the APS Pirate Hunting Expedition?
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »
None of you ever read John Ringo. You need a Hind.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »
There was a very interesting article in today's issue of USA Today.

Evidently, the Indian Navy sank that pirate mothership, forcing them to flee in the smaller speedboats it was towing...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 12:24:16 AM »
There was a very interesting article in today's issue of USA Today.

Evidently, the Indian Navy sank that pirate mothership, forcing them to flee in the smaller speedboats it was towing...

How far out was the mothership?  There's not much range in those runabouts that were left.  I wonder if they remembered to bring oars?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 12:30:30 AM »
I suggest that the boat is some sort of military surplus, retrofitted to look like an innocent civilian, non-threatening craft. Seems to me that we have a lot to choose from from our navy, since most of it seems to be moth balled/headed for the scrap heap these days. Seriously though, the biggest problem would be finding places to go into harbour to refuel & get more food and water. Not to mention ammo, I figure most countries won't be very excited about the prospects of us running rampant through all the gun shops, asking "Got any incendiary .50 BMG? We need like 4000 rounds of it!"
Also, how the hell would we finance it? Think it would fly to ask for 10% of the total value of the ship & cargo as a reward for finding it and bringing it back? I think quite a lot of folks who operate the shipping lines would scream "Piracy" again when they hear that...

I'm sure we could claim salvage rights on any ship we de-pirated.
Look, tiny text!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 12:47:53 AM »
After my time in the Navy maybe I could... acquire, a boat for you guys,  :angel: Of course that won't be for 6 years.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 12:49:57 AM »
Nice big mortar...

The pirate vessels themselves are largely worthless, and the pelts don't bring much either. I'd just ask for a bounty from Lloyd's or somesuch.

Blog under construction

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »
Can we have a great big catapult that hurls satchel charges or something?  Or maybe something that uses compressed air?  Or maybe some form of electromagnetics?

Hey Nick?  You're our resident mad scientist.  Wanna handle this one for us?

myrockfight

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 01:05:47 AM »
We can retrieve pirate-captured ships and get paid by the companies discreetly. There is more money in that. All we need is a SCUBA diving assault team who practice CQB and point-shooting all the time, an innocent looking mother-ship, commercial rebreathers, black market weapons and ammo, boarding gear, agents to negotiate with the companies and arms dealers, a good cover story, and alot of free time and money to get started.

I'll be happy to take care of the dive team.  =D I used to be a salvage diver. I'd love to set up a Draeger. However, I would need some training in CQB and explosives. But hey. If someone would like to send me to one of the best shooting facilities in the country - I would be happy to go. Don't get me wrong - I can quickly put a few holes in a torso and one in the head. But I wouldn't exactly call myself a qualified close quarters afficianado either.

Underwater navigation, rebreathers, demolition, night dives(the water would be to clear in the day, I imagine) Oh, oh. I can't forget the underwater mini-subs that the SEALs use. We gotta get one of those. Or a few. You know - depending on how big the dive team is. I get all excited when I think about UDT. One of my friends was in the Navy for it. I'll have to recruit him too. Hard hat diver. He'd enjoy it.

And for giggles - I can triple up jobs - Navigating, piloting, and diving. Plus I've already spent months at sea. So I am definitely in. All of the seafaring I have done has been in the Carribbean - for work anyway.

Hell. I'm not even workin' right now. But dammit. I am not going on some half-arsed expedition that is underfunded and poorly organized. The sea can be a large, lonely, and unforgiving place. I love the sea. I will not die in it due to some dimwit hangin' everyone's arses out without a sling.

With that said - I am looking for a job. I would be happy to work for free in all the aforementioned capacities.  :cool: I'm all ears.

Oh. And it would be very possible to negotiate with Lloyd's due to the nature of their organization. They are not a standard insurance company in the traditional sense.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 03:11:52 AM »
Can we have a great big catapult that hurls satchel charges or something?  Or maybe something that uses compressed air?  Or maybe some form of electromagnetics?

Hey Nick?  You're our resident mad scientist.  Wanna handle this one for us?

I was thinking Nick could build us some lasers.  Frickin' big lasers.  Wouldn't that be fun!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 03:34:17 AM »
Launch tesla coils at them, little portable ones.   =D

Where is a rich billionaire backer when you need one?  I can see it now, Richard Branson should start Virgin Kill Pirates. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 05:52:04 AM »

I would need some training in CQB and explosives.
There's no better training than OTJ.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MikePGS

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
Huh does anyone have any recipes for pirate?
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »
I was thinking Nick could build us some lasers.  Frickin' big lasers.  Wouldn't that be fun!

Mmm...  I would be happy to build the worlds largest CO2 laser.

Perhaps an EMP cannon?

Mortar shells filled with HCN?

How about one of those military style pain beams?  Only make the dial go all the way up to "extra-crispy"...

=D

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 10:10:52 AM »
I suggest that we get the approval of the Feds to operate using a decomissioned Naval vessel, preferably one of the LSD class vessels currently in service:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_landing_ship

The flight deck would allow us to use some helos for close air support, and also for insertion.  The amphibious tail would give us a place to house a few speed boats of our own, preferably some of the go fast boats the Navy Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewman:

http://www.sealchallenge.navy.mil/swcc/boats.aspx

Also, the amphibious tail end of the LSD's is like a built-in swimming pool, and I'm sure we can put in a grill or two on the flight deck for special culinary operations.

We have enough lawyer types around here to take care of the business end.  Call ourselves American Privateers.  We'll fund our operations with money from the insurance companies that will pay us for recovering their vessels, and the nations who are having difficulties with these pirates.  I'm sure the Saudi oil companies will give us fuel to protect their tankers.  Other nations will pay just to have us around for rescue ops.  We use these funds to buy supplies and munitions.  Ports?  After a few successful operations, nations will welcome us with open arms.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 10:13:56 AM »
A modifired cargo ship would be best I think. If you look scary they'll leave you alone. Don't forget to get a couple of flamethrowers. Just let them come along side and start climbing the ladder then light 'em if ya got 'em. Maybe rig up a couple of the ships water monitors as flame throwers. 200ft of flaming, sticky death. Ooooooooo yeah. I need a cigarette and a nap now.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »
Mmm...  I would be happy to build the worlds largest CO2 laser.

Perhaps an EMP cannon?

Mortar shells filled with HCN?

How about one of those military style pain beams?  Only make the dial go all the way up to "extra-crispy"...

=D

What can you do with AquaNet and potatoes?

'Cuz that's my budget for this little project. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 10:22:51 AM »
What can you do with AquaNet and potatoes?

'Cuz that's my budget for this little project. =D

Hmm... that's pretty limited.

I could probably start a land war in Asia.  Don't know if that will really help your cause though...  :laugh:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »

We need trained sharks too.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »
I'd go, but you might get sick of me begging for a shore party to go looking for a 20mm Hispano in Bakara Market.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
These 3 ships seem to be pretty cheap. We could have our own task force.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23392713-details/For%20sale%20to%20a%20foreign%20navy,%20the%20British%20warships%20that%20could%20have%20saved%20hostages/article.do

zOMG 200,000 pounds a piece?

That's worth buying and living in!

Of course, getting it here to Arizona might be a task.  Suppose I could get it portaged to Lake Pleasant?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2008, 02:08:23 PM »
What would we call our ship?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »
Molon Labe =D

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2008, 02:29:31 PM »
The APS Oleg Volk=D

Keep in mind that if we need a mechanic, I get my A&P license in March.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »
APSS <insert badass name of choice>