Author Topic: Coyote Problem  (Read 15911 times)

Paddy2010

Coyote Problem
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:43:59 PM »
I've got a problem.  Coyotes moved onto my property last year.  I first noticed them mid March 2009 while walking my dog down the driveway.  By the end of that month, they were becoming more aggressive, following me and the dog on our walks.  Early April, I drove up the driveway in the dark and lo and behold, saw 6 coyote pups in the headlights.  We've seen full grown, healthy looking coyotes from time to time since. They howl and yip at night and the dog goes nuts. I've sat out at dusk with coyote calls and whistles, shotgun at the ready, but have been unable to bring them into my sights.  I've called Fish and Game who are no help.  These predators are multiplying and I need help.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Coyote Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:46:59 PM »
Ghillie suit, fast long range shooting cartridge, experiment with different calls.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:47:08 PM »
My first thought:  Get yourself a roadrunner.  

Quickly followed by a thought that a trapper might be induced to get after them if he is invited to trap your property.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:54:16 PM »
what kinda calls you use?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Paddy2010

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:55:17 PM »
I've tried the yipping pup call and the wounded rabbit call.  These dogs ain't buyin' it.  What if I stake down a big piece of bloody beef in the driveway?  Would that bring them into my sights?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:59:43 PM »
I've tried the yipping pup call and the wounded rabbit call.  These dogs ain't buyin' it.  What if I stake down a big piece of bloody beef in the driveway?  Would that bring them into my sights?

Are these air/mechanical calls, or electronic?
I promise not to duck.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 12:02:18 AM »

It might. It might bring in a lot of other things.

What do your state game laws say about bait?
Are the coyotes causing you or your animals a problem?

The coyotes have gotten much thicker around here the last few years. But my dogs keep them out of the yard.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:03:22 AM »
We have a park (suburban city) just outside our backyard.  There are coyotes.  A couple years ago the DNR came in and live trapped the oldest five (out of twenty or so) because of complaints.  Turned out the complaints came from three households.  So perhaps the squeaky wheel and all that might work.  I also understand that human urine is great for keeping coyotes, rabbits, deer, etc away. Perhaps - oh gee - this cartoon bubble just popped into my head.  An invitation to all friends and neighbors to the first annual pee-in.  Sorry.  Anyhow, I think the squeaky wheel thing might work especially if you can get neighbors to do the same.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:14:15 AM »
hmm, would hair clippings work on coyotes? [popcorn](yeah from a barber's floor[or a flowbee] =D) i know they work on deer. :facepalm:

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:15:32 AM »
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20626

http://arkansaselkhunter.com/E-Caller.htm

you can get the mp2 player for less than 20 bucks  i got 3 for 30 off woot

i had one down at the chicken house when i came home tonite  he got away.... this time
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Paddy2010

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:17:43 AM »
First, I don't care what 'game laws' say about 'bait'.  I've already talked to F&G and they're no help, basically said it's my problem.  I live within city limits, the terrain here is steep, thick brush, and wild. We used to have two families of foxes living here, now they're gone-either eaten or displaced by coyotes.  I'm not interested in being a 'squeaky wheel' or asking local government for help.  I need to get rid of these coyotes-by whatever means.   They don't belong here, they're a nuisance and a hazard, they kill the young deer, and wouldn't hesitate to rip the throat out of my 11 year old Labrador.  That is not going to happen.  All I need to know is how to kill them.  It's not illegal here, F&G already told me there are no lows against putting coyotes down.  I want them gone-now.

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:37:07 AM »
Notify your neighbors first - then put out poisoned bait.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 12:47:34 AM »
Put an ad on craigslist for a predator hunter. Give him a time and place and they will probably be glad to help. You may learn a thing or two also from someone who has more experience. Or if you are close to a rural area, try the local co-op.

bob

Paddy2010

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 12:49:08 AM »
That may well be my only option, although I don't want to kill anything but coyotes.   The dog just went nuts-lotta coyote yipping outside.  By the time I put on my shoes, picked up the spotlight and my firearm and went outside, it stopped.  They were gone. We're coming into late March-early April.  There will be a new crop of these predators.  I want them gone.  What is the most effective poison?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »
Try predatormasters.com and see if there is anyone there that could help you out. The problem with poison is that it is very indiscriminate. Anything that eats may find your bait appetizing. This time of year there may still be some females in heat so you may want to try a female invitation call to bring in a male or two.

Instead of waiting for the 'yotes to come to you, you will need to be outside, ready to go and bringing them to you.

If you run across a road kill deer (or actually, anything) you can bring that home to use for bait. It's cheaper than a side of beef.

bob

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 01:49:35 AM »
Pick out five or six trees on your property and about four feet up the trunks wire a piece of meat or chicken to it.  Do this for three or four days - or long enough to see that the "bait" is taken each night. Then you can either go out before dusk, hide and pick the suckers off with a rifle or cut several small incisions in the meat and fill it with poison.  Coyotes, like many big dogs, gulp their food, chewing very little.  It is an icky way to get rid of them.  Poison can be as easy as soaking bread slices in antifreeze and stuffing it into the meat incisions.  Draino crystals or anything like that works.  Personally I don't like this way.  Bait them for a few days with good stuff and then get family, neighbors and friends out with rifles and shoot them.

Paddy2010

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 01:55:58 AM »
I want them gone, but I will not cause them to suffer.  A quick clean kill is best; but a fast poison is not out of the question.  It must be very fast and painless.  I will not cause any living thing to suffer, other than a child molester or a rapist. heh.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 05:18:16 AM »
A quick clean kill is best; but a fast poison is not out of the question.  It must be very fast and painless.

If this is your goal, you had better cross poison off of your list of things to use. You aren't going to get quick, painless or fast with any poison available to you.

bob

darius

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 07:06:26 AM »
hmm, would hair clippings work on coyotes? [popcorn](yeah from a barber's floor[or a flowbee] =D) i know they work on deer. :facepalm:
A 30.06 with a scope might work.

darius

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 07:10:27 AM »
First, I don't care what 'game laws' say about 'bait'.  I've already talked to F&G and they're no help, basically said it's my problem.  I live within city limits, the terrain here is steep, thick brush, and wild. We used to have two families of foxes living here, now they're gone-either eaten or displaced by coyotes.  I'm not interested in being a 'squeaky wheel' or asking local government for help.  I need to get rid of these coyotes-by whatever means.   They don't belong here, they're a nuisance and a hazard, they kill the young deer, and wouldn't hesitate to rip the throat out of my 11 year old Labrador.  That is not going to happen.  All I need to know is how to kill them.  It's not illegal here, F&G already told me there are no lows against putting coyotes down.  I want them gone-now.
They are pretty crafty and will go out of reach (they think) and then stand there and wait for you to give up.  That is when you need a cannon that will reach out and touch them at a 1,000 yards.
My Garand M-1 would probably ring their bells.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 07:59:41 AM »
AR and a night scope?  Should do it.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 10:12:37 AM »
PaddyMcRiley? Is that you?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 10:52:17 AM »
A night vision scope on an AR should do nicely.........you must not be serious about removing them if you set down rules of engagement....chris3

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
PaddyMcRiley? Is that you?

My thought exactly ...  =|

I shot a coyote last fall during deer season, and dragged it over the hill and left it on the rimrocks right above our chicken house.  I've been told that the dead bodies keep the live ones away.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
the corpse thing works  the neighbors get a lil hinky  about it though