Author Topic: Coyote Problem  (Read 15910 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Coyote Problem
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »
what about just the head on a pike?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
that would definitly freak mine out  they are from taxachussets.  i already scare em
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
PaddyMcRiley? Is that you?

Yep, my first thought.....Welcome back  :P ;/ =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 05:25:50 AM »
Full-auto airgun:

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

• friends
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 10:04:02 AM »
you know you can peen the paint off a car with one of those?   or so i've heard :angel:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »
plug 'em lewis and clark style =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9WEsILY92o  [popcorn] (dangit where'd the drooling little dude go? :lol:)

• friends
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 10:11:48 AM »
wow  i never new!  are they loud?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »
don't know, can't afford one to find out. :facepalm: but judging from the pump and springers i've had, yes. =D on the other hand a silencer is supposed to work very well on one. [tinfoil]

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:47 AM »
wow  i never new!  are they loud?

It's from Russia, it's called the Drozd. ("Thrush" in Russian)

It runs/cycles the valve on a bunch of AA batteries under the foregrip, and in it's basic config, it uses a magazine and 12g CO2 cartridge all integrated in the grip. It has switches on the sides that control the solenoid for burst size, and speed. (Too fast, and you'll freeze up your CO2 tank.)

Then the larger tanks and other options are all available depending on how fancy you want to get.

http://www.airgundepot.com/eaa-drozd.html
I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 11:03:52 AM »
hmmm where'd wife hide that credit card..... >:D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 05:00:26 PM »
A neighbor lady called me this morning.

She had two large coyotes/wolves/feral dogs[?] at her place this morning.  They were not afraid and did not run off like coyotes usually do.  Her own german shepherd dog was very upset and did not want to chase or fight them.

She went back in and got her .22 rifle and they were still there.  They finally left after she fired a shot into the ground (she claimed she did not have a safe backstop where they were standing).

I told her she better start taking her rifle out with her when she feeds her horses, or else get a sidearm.  She wants to come over and practice shooting again with us sometime soon.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »
you think i could live trap a bobcat in a big havahart trap?  any ideas for bait?

crt360

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »
you think i could live trap a bobcat in a big havahart trap?  any ideas for bait?

cat food?    :lol:

I've unintentionally caught regular cats in a live trap using no bait.
For entertainment purposes only.

• friends
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »
a bobcat in a havahart presents a dilemma.  who carrys it and how?  thats closer than i want to be to a kiity thats breathing  those cages arenot as strong as i would like

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 12:03:29 AM »
.22 SSS ;)

• friends
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »
i am hardly a treehugger but would prefer not to kill it.  i will but they are rare enough around here that i would consider something non lethal. i even considered dunking it in the water trough a couple times before having that young kid from jersey release it . just want it to leave my hens and the kids kittys alone.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 01:13:18 AM »
in that case make sure it's legal to release it where you are, i remember reading where someone got in some trouble for catching squirrels and letting them go, seems they were pests and once caught had to be killed. =( then think about(i have no real idea, this is just entertainment till the brains get back =D) good long pole(with a hook on the end ???) to move the trap, and a (string/rope/cord/chain[or a remote controlled servo [popcorn]]) to open the trap. =D

• friends
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 01:47:13 AM »
i'm thinking my city boy from jersey friend to open the trap  and you tube

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 01:50:31 AM »
 :laugh: are they still doing AFHV? might make some cash before youtubin' it. [popcorn]

• friends
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 02:03:52 AM »
i saw a vid once where a guy released one that got some payback before running off

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 04:08:19 AM »
Bait the coyotes with a female in heat, then pot them with a .410 from the window.

It worked in this case.  :O

http://www.adn.com/2010/03/18/1190035/anchorage-man-kills-neighbors.html
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

darius

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 08:37:41 AM »
Full-auto airgun:

How would that work for crow? They make a mess around here and steal the food from the nice birds.  Big suckers too.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »
Gets over 500 fps, or so the specs say.

With the bigger remote tank setups It ought to be able to maintain that.

Personally, I think this is better: http://www.airgundepot.com/airforce-talon-ss-air-rifle-22-caliber-1050-fps-w-3-9x40-scope-and-1-high-rings.html

I shot one when the NRA convention was here in town a few years back. It's very quiet, not exactly a suppressor, but it has a barrel shroud that has a generous expansion chamber in the end, and since it's integral to the air rifle, it avoids NFA hassles on suppressors. (even if it's for an airgun/paintball/airsoft ATF says if it's removable, it can be put on a firearm.)  It was boringly same-hole accurate.

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-whisper.html This is a good option if you're on a budget. Standing off from inside a door or a window also turns your whole house into a suppressor.
I promise not to duck.

Paddy2010

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:15 PM »
First, thank you for all the responses.  It has given me food for thought.

shot a coyote last fall during deer season, and dragged it over the hill and left it on the rimrocks right above our chicken house.  I've been told that the dead bodies keep the live ones away.

This is really the goal.  If I (somehow) manage to nail meat to a tree, then sit outside in my longjohn camo with my 30-30, I'll still only get a few of them.  They breed every spring-you can't kill them fast enough (by whatever means) to eradicate them from your AO.

I've heard that cougar urine will drive them away.  Anyone have any experience with that?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 11:38:08 PM »
First, thank you for all the responses.  It has given me food for thought.

This is really the goal.  If I (somehow) manage to nail meat to a tree, then sit outside in my longjohn camo with my 30-30, I'll still only get a few of them.  They breed every spring-you can't kill them fast enough (by whatever means) to eradicate them from your AO.

I've heard that cougar urine will drive them away.  Anyone have any experience with that?

I've tried it.  Holding a hundred pound cat still, though, and trying to get it to urinate on command, are both a tall order...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”