Author Topic: Coyote Problem  (Read 15912 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Coyote Problem
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
I've tried it.  Holding a hundred pound cat still, though, and trying to get it to urinate on command, are both a tall order...

i see what you did there. =D

oh and clicky the =D

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2010, 12:57:38 AM »
3 pages and no right answer. This is too easy. Make a snare.

Out of detcord.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Paddy2010

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:33 AM »
Nobody gets it.  I don't want to kill one or two or ten or twenty.  I want all coyotes off my land. They didn't used to be here.  Where did they come from?  Why do they think my dog and I are prey?  My shotgun and I will find their den and the turkey vultures will clean up after us.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 03:47:27 AM »
Nobody gets it.  ...  I want all coyotes off my land. They didn't used to be here.  Where did they come from?  ...

That's the question isn't it?  I mean where did any of us "come from"?  Why are we here?  Do we really belong anywhere in particular?  Is there some grand purpose to life or is it just random existence then death?

It's the kind of thing that keeps me up at night...
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 05:41:56 AM »
Remove their reason for being there. Declare open season on any small furry creatures and make sure your garbage cans are secured (as well as get a splash of bleach). If you have neighbors try and get them in on this act as well.

From there the best hunting technique I can think of has already been posted. Meat on a tree, do it for a week or so to get them used to it before you start doing any hunting. Also try to wear gloves to cover any scent you might leave on the meat. Possibly making the meat difficult to get to, such as in a cage, might keep them over bait longer when you try actually shooting the little bastards.

By doing both you kill some directly and those you can't get you may drive off.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 06:01:56 AM »
I don't want to kill one or two or ten or twenty.  I want all coyotes off my land.

Good luck with that. If you kill the ones that are there, more will move in.

Each year, U.S. government agents shoot, trap and poison about 90,000 of the ones suspected of killing livestock or causing other problems.
  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31880990/ns/us_news-environment//

And this hasn't even put a miniscule dent in the population of coyotes in the US.

If you can call in a few, shoot and not kill them, they may learn to avoid your place. I know from hunting them if you can call them in and miss your shot they seem to get shy about coming into calls that are out of place.

It's the young and dumb ones that get killed.

bob

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »
What BobR said.

Plus: Perfect time of year to use a turkey call. I've had a couple friends that have had coyotes get within feet of them while they were calling Spring Gobblers. Can be bit unnerving, I suspect.

Stake out a live chicken for bait.

Bob F.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2010, 10:46:06 AM »
Nobody gets it.  I don't want to kill one or two or ten or twenty.  I want all coyotes off my land. They didn't used to be here.  Where did they come from?  Why do they think my dog and I are prey?  My shotgun and I will find their den and the turkey vultures will clean up after us.

If I remember correctly where you live, you're likely seeing more because of the rain we've finally been getting in CA after the long drought. There's a lot more on my folks' farm these days too, and we always see more around Spring. Once all that unusual green stuff in the hills turns back to brown and it starts getting hot again, a lot of your problem will disappear.

Otherwise as others have said, practice with a coyote call, find a good spot to hunker down and try and call some in to shoot. If all you've got is the shotgun, you'd better be a good caller though, because most coyote shots in your neck of the woods are gonna be in the hundreds of yards. I was out pig hunting this weekend in Los Olivos, and some of the guys were taking pot shots at coyotes in the afternoon. Average shot was 300-400 yards. Even if you miss and just make noise though, at least you might be getting some of them skittish and driving them away.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
We had a cougar peeing right outside our door for a while.

Trust me, you will like the coyotes better  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2010, 02:42:07 PM »
Max likely has more coyote-compatible DNA than the kitteh above:

(Yes, shameless of me to re-post such a pic.)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2010, 03:51:46 PM »
First, thank you for all the responses.  It has given me food for thought.

This is really the goal.  If I (somehow) manage to nail meat to a tree, then sit outside in my longjohn camo with my 30-30, I'll still only get a few of them.  They breed every spring-you can't kill them fast enough (by whatever means) to eradicate them from your AO.

I've heard that cougar urine will drive them away.  Anyone have any experience with that?

go to your nearest dive bar, perhaps if you buy one enough drinks she will urinate in your driveway or something :P
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
go to your nearest dive bar, perhaps if you buy one enough drinks she will urinate in your driveway or something :P

I have been resisting the urge to make similar comment ever since the word cougar apeared.

Paddy,

You said you live in city limits. Please ensure that the use of a firearm is legal. It may sound barbaric, but clubbing and trapping (not necessarily in that order) might be your only legal method. 

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2010, 07:53:03 PM »
I have been resisting the urge to make similar comment ever since the word cougar apeared.

Paddy,

You said you live in city limits. Please ensure that the use of a firearm is legal. It may sound barbaric, but clubbing and trapping (not necessarily in that order) might be your only legal method. 

Wait, are we still talking about how to pick up a cougar?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
Do what the state of Nevada does about our song dog problem...  Attach a SMG to a Cessna and blast em from orbit or at least 500 ft AGL.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Paddy2010

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2010, 12:11:30 AM »
Now I'm confused.  On the walk with the dog this evening, I discovered a pile of FOX scat in the middle of the drive.  Now, I'm no expert on animal excrement, but this definitely came from a fox (smallbore, red berries, like that)  AND, there were turkey vultures circling overhead where I think the coyote den is. And, I haven't seen any coyotes or pups for awhile.  The pups should be showing up right about now or in the next couple of weeks.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2010, 12:15:51 AM »
Wait, are we still talking about how to pick up a cougar?

Here's the solution to your problems.

Paddy2010

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2010, 12:43:01 AM »
You people watch too much televlsion.  A cougar is a mountain lion.  It looks like this:

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2010, 02:27:28 AM »
Off the top of my head... also called a puma, painter or catamount.

None of which lend themselves to humor like the pop culture reference.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »
Off the top of my head... also called a puma, painter or catamount.

None of which lend themselves to humor like the pop culture reference.

I dunno.  I bet we could sink to 13 year old humor with that name *really* quick.  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
I dunno.  I bet we could sink to 13 year old humor with that name *really* quick.  :)

Heh heh, you said "mount"...

RileyCA

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 01:32:56 AM »
So far, no one seems to know how to get rid of coyotes.  Guess I'm not the only cityboy here................

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 05:34:04 AM »
I also understand that human urine is great for keeping coyotes, rabbits, deer, etc away.

If you can get close enough to pee on them, just whack 'em with a bat.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 05:35:21 AM »
If you can get close enough to pee on them, just whack 'em with a bat.

=D :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

PTK

• friends
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
So far, no one seems to know how to get rid of coyotes.  Guess I'm not the only cityboy here................
Mods, forgive me....

You could try talking to them, perhaps giving them your political opinions. They'll leave. Some may even drop dead on the spot, good sir.  ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."