Author Topic: Cheap, reasonably healthy snacks  (Read 15949 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Cheap, reasonably healthy snacks
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 09:04:58 AM »
Bad sign. Do you take vitamins? If not, start.

I've crave sardines once in a while, goes for a week or so and I'm good again for a while. Usually triggered when I have a sandwich with hot dutch mustard on it. I take vitamins daily.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

erictank

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
I like celery and carrots with a little pile of lemon-pepper seasoning for dipping. I also like popcorn drizzled with a little canola oil, garlic powder, cayenne, and salt.

I'm bored with those. Any ideas?

Peanut butter is also good on celery and carrots, though you really shouldn't go overboard.

Apples are always good - I like Braeburns and Granny Smiths best personally, YMMV.  That'd be with or without peanut butter.  =D

at the same temps olive oil isn't burning. [tinfoil] tell you what, you can have it. ;)

IME, olive smokes well before canola.  I used to saute with olive oil, but tended to do so at a smoke-generating temperature.  Since switching to canola, at the same settings, I don't fill the house with a fine oily smoke anymore. 

Now that I've learned better temperature control on top of that, perhaps I could switch back to olive oil, at least some of the time.  Still use it for, say, boiling pasta and whatnot, of course.  That never stopped.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »
Heat a pan of oil to approx. 375 f. degrees.

Get a little Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour, and add some dark beer until it is stirrable, not kneadable.

Now, you take a hamster...
Blog under construction

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »
i cut the font size in half, because this post might not be health enough for the thread.
if you get "extra light olive oil" it has a smoke point close to canola oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

i might have got some bad canola, but it just stunk to high heaven when it got to ~300°.(just can't stand the stuff now) i use mostly peanut oil for frying, and corn oil everything were i don't want flavor from oil.(the peanut oil just seems to holdup better in a fryer for me ???) lard for a few things. :angel: and try to keep extra virgin olive for somethings, safflower is good if you can get it at a decent price. coconut oil is great on popcorn, but it burns if you try to pop in it. well now there's no doubt that i have completely stopped worrying about health.

and i remembered one more snack, well it's 4 or 5, the healthy version is to melt some butter add a splash of milk and a little salt, then add powdered sugar till you have the constancy of rolled fondant. then knead well, and roll it into a sheet around an eighth of an inch(guessing read the rest and use the thickness you think you need to achieve the results. :angel:) spread peanut butter on all but the outer half inch or so(warming helps but to warm and it melts the stuff[i don't know what to call it.]) roll the whole mess into a log, press it flat and cut into half inch or so pieces. it takes an hour or to to set up, kids love the stuff.(and there's no end to the stuff you can substitute for the peanut butter.)

for the other you, melt some butter add a splash of milk and a little salt, then add powdered sugar till you have the constancy of rolled fondant, then add peppermint oil if you have it.(extract is fine, and any flavor you want is fine to.) knead well and roll into a log, this one you don't press flat, cut like "after dinner mints" and let it set. [popcorn]

oh second thought, those aren't really health unless your involved in making them.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 01:27:33 AM »
Make your own stuffed jalapenos; use whatever you want inside, and you can control how healthy they are.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 02:59:17 AM »
I love frozen bananas but you said less sweet. Sweet potato chips are good, you could probably make your own with a dehydrator. Seen the same thing done with beets and other such veggies, not sure how they taste. I've heard great things about home made biltong, and I ate a lot of pounds of home made jerky in Iraq. Potted meat on saltines is a favorite, but I haven't had any in a long time.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »
Something I just started trying...  green smoothies.

For greens, anything that isn't too strong (no mustard greens): spinach, collard greens, beet greens, kale, etc.

I don't have the proportions quite right yet, but my first attempt just now was a few leaves each of kale and collard greens, 1 huge handful of spinach leaves, 2 bananas, 1 apple, some cherries, and some blackberries.  It was quite palatable.  The texture was a bit questionable... might have been blackberry seeds.  Maybe I should have added more water, but too much would mean a disgusting tasteless water-dominated mixture.

Allegedly, jalapenos work well in it, but I wanted to start off simple.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:55:37 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »
Boiled peanuts.

Beware the southern style boiled with smoked ham hocks, you may find yourself acquiring a drawl.

If you start with raw shelled peanuts (all boiled peanuts start raw, not roasted,) consider dressing them with mild white vinegar, soy sauce, and finely sliced scallions or chives.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 07:42:14 PM »
Sunflower seeds (my favorite brand is Giant)
Salted in the shell peanuts
Fresh fruits/veggies with low fat dips like fat free dressing
Granola bars
Fudgecicles (40 cal per serving)

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »
Granola is easy to make.  Just season some oats with whatever you like, sweet or salty, put them down in clumps and bake them for a bit.

Doesn't keep as long as store bought stuff, but it is tasty!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 11:59:19 PM »
My favorite at home is air popped pop-corn misted with an apple cider vineger/chipolte olive oil emulsion and a good dose of NaCl.   [popcorn]

Dried sweet potato chips that have been soaked in a broth of miso and sake prior to dehydration make great side to any lunch.

Snacks at work?  Only two really catch my eye/coins.

Granola bars, because few things dispel the mid-afternoon dulldrums better than a little C4 (on the machine selection).

T.G.I. Friday's Bacon & Chedder potato skins.  Fix for the fat/NaCl/carbs craving that strikes now and again.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Breadsticks and hummus.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »
I love hummus.  I wait until cans of garbanzo beans go on sale and then stock up.  A drained can of beans, about 1/4 cup of tahini, 3 cloves of garlic, 3 tbsp. olive oil, 3 tbsp. lemon juice and a few grinds of sea salt all whirled up in the food processor, and I am good to go.  I will on occasion add sun-dried tomato pesto, kalamata olive tapenade, roasted red peppers or the like to the base recipe. 

It is a high-protein, low-fat and high-fiber dip.  I use some multi-grain crackers or pita bread to dip it, and I am a happy camper. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Barbara

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
I've been making a lot of hummus lately. Made some good stuff with sun-dried tomatoe and basil last week. Yum.

My new most favorite healthy food is parfait. Layer low fat yogurt, a tiny bit of honey, granola and fresh fruit. Chill or lightly freeze. Best food ever.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
Interesting, when this thread is right next to the one about weed smokers.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
My wife found a recipe for kale chips.  I had no idea you could make kale crunchy.  They were quite tasty, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2010, 08:24:21 PM »
I've been making a lot of hummus lately. Made some good stuff with sun-dried tomatoe and basil last week. Yum.

I love hummus too.  I should figure out how to make it.

My new most favorite healthy food is parfait. Layer low fat yogurt, a tiny bit of honey, granola and fresh fruit. Chill or lightly freeze. Best food ever.

Freezing yogurt will kill almost all of the bacteria cultures, which negates perhaps the most significant health benefit of eating yogurt.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »
See my post # 38 for a classic recipe for hummus.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2010, 11:04:43 PM »
Fresh raw chilled summer squash cut like french fries. I'm recently partial to patty pans http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattypan_squash
Cherry tomatoes
Bell peppers or sweet banana peppers cut in strips

Come on over and we'll go pick you some =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2010, 11:10:50 PM »
pot butter. [popcorn]

and no i don't have/haven't tried it. just seemed to be a funny addition.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 01:12:21 AM »
Kiddo's eldest half-sister has become a vegan. Or whatever the proper term is nowadays...
Kiddo talked me into a tub of hummus and some pita chips lately. Now, I HATE garbanzos/chick peas.  Always will. Ex-wife's Dad called them "garbage beans".  I agreed with that assessment.
Hummus is pretty darned good, though, IMO.  Can't quite figure it out.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2010, 01:14:18 AM »
BTB... thanks for the suggestions.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2010, 08:09:12 PM »
Kiddo's eldest half-sister has become a vegan. Or whatever the proper term is nowadays...

vegan: No meat (yes, seafood is meat), no dairy, no eggs.  Strictest category.  In its strictest interpretation, anything that's detrimental in any way to animals is off limits.  "No leather" types will almost always be vegan.  This can go as far as refusing to eat bleached sugar because it's often filtered using bone char.  Another item sometimes avoided is gelatin, because it's made from animal collagen (if you see "vegan" labeling on some sort of dietary supplement capsules, it means the capsule material is something else).  Sometimes "vegan" also means no honey, on the rationale that bees need it to survive, and they're critical for the plant portion of the food chain (and bees haven't been doing too well in recent years).

vegetarian: typically shorthand for lacto-ovo-vegetarian, which means everything except meat.  However, if in doubt, assume it means vegan.  Technically, dairy and egg eating vegetarians are called "lacto-ovo-vegetarians".  Obviously, lacto-vegetarianism would be milk and cheese but no eggs or meat, and ovo-vegetarianism would be eggs but no milk, cheese or meat.  Some pescetarians (see below) call themselves vegetarian, which IMO is retarded.

pescetarian: no meat except for fish (not sure about other non-fish seafood, I guess they eat that stuff too)...  may or may not eat eggs and dairy.

There are lots of people who don't take those labels seriously and will call themselves vegetarian when all they mean is that they won't eat red meat, or as mentioned, pescetarians calling themselves vegetarian.  That creates a lot of confusion for food preparers at restaurants, and for people trying to plan private group meals... which leads to things like a vegetarian asking if a dish is vegetarian and getting a "yes" back, then discovering halfway through the meal that it has fish sauce, etc.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:17:27 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »
"Specialization is for insects."

Heinlein had it right.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2010, 02:31:38 AM »
pescetarian: no meat except for fish (not sure about other non-fish seafood, I guess they eat that stuff too)...  may or may not eat eggs and dairy.

Vegetables are not food; vegetables are what food eats.  Fish are just really fast vegetables.

Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.