Author Topic: Tree stump planter?  (Read 15444 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Tree stump planter?
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
And the opportunity for an expenses-paid vacation is bad how?

stay safe.

Not sure I follow ...  ???

I don't get paid for fighting wildfires.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »
Not sure I follow ...  ???

I don't get paid for fighting wildfires.  =(

perhaps refering to arson charges?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
The interesting part might be getting the fire put out.

It will eventually travel down each root.

Burning stumps are hard to put out and are a common source of reignition on wildfires :(

Soak the stump while I'm watering the lawn.  4-6 inches of standing water tends to put a damper on coals. Plus dirt doesn't burn easily, as I've cleared the land around the stump down to dirt and started planting grass.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
Soak the stump while I'm watering the lawn.  4-6 inches of standing water tends to put a damper on coals. Plus dirt doesn't burn easily, as I've cleared the land around the stump down to dirt and started planting grass.

It will burn down the roots underground.

I guess it might not matter if there's nothing else to catch, unless the neighbors wonder why you have a smoking hole in your lawn?  But maybe they are used to that  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
Think Centralia, then watch where you step.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
Yep, Rev could bring Centrailia right to his own back yard !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »
The interesting part might be getting the fire put out.

It will eventually travel down each root.

Burning stumps are hard to put out and are a common source of reignition on wildfires :(

i think that would only be a problem in the dryer states.  unless we have had a drought i can't imagine a stump burning completely without some help here in the east.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 10:27:59 PM »
It will burn down the roots underground.

I guess it might not matter if there's nothing else to catch, unless the neighbors wonder why you have a smoking hole in your lawn?  But maybe they are used to that  :lol:

That'd only be possible during a draught.  Normal weather combined with reasonable precautions and lots of water, not likely.  Plus I'm not even to ground level, let alone the roots.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »
I dunno about back in the fetid eastern seaboard ...  =|

I've spent lots of time with a Pulaski digging out smoldering pine stumps  =(

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »

Ah...  Pine is very high in flammable resin. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 02:21:14 PM »
Ah...  Pine is very high in flammable resin. 

It's down low in the stump and roots, too  =D

You should see the juniper out here ... when it gets dry enough, it can literally explode  :O

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »
It's down low in the stump and roots, too  =D

You should see the juniper out here ... when it gets dry enough, it can literally explode  :O

I think a video is called for to prove this...

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »
I think a video is called for to prove this...

Sorry, the camera melted  ;)

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »
My consulting saw jockeys are unavailable to check with, but I think I would begin with my chain saw and plunge cut a grid of vertical cuts leaving multiple columns of wood to be broken/cut out with suitable tools.  

If there is enough ground clearance, a horizontal plunge cut or two could do the trick:  think pick-and-pluck foam gun case  liners.

Starting a plunge cut is about as risky a cut as you can do with a chain saw, so read up, consult a pro if one is available, watch the instructional videos on YouTube, and take ALL safety precautions.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:07:46 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »
Ugggg!  The penny finally dropped, and I ran a search on "making tree stump planter."  An embarrassment of riches.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
Starting a plunge cuts is about as risky a cut as you can do with a chain saw

Plunge cuts are boring  :lol: (that's what we used to call it)

I wasn't about to suggest something like that.  If you didn't already know and have experience with chainsaw plunge/boring cuts, I certainly was not going to mention it.  =(

280plus

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
Sounds rather labor intensive. Anyhoo, the wifey has taken to using them for pedestals for big potted plants. Close enough!  :lol:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
I've got some stumps to give away, if you want to come dig them up and plant them in your own yard.  :angel:

You'll have to hollow them out yourself, though  :P

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
I'll be right over!  ;)