Author Topic: Want flashlight recommendations.  (Read 16004 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Want flashlight recommendations.
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »
I have been using one of these for a while. http://www.maglite.com/aa_Cell_LED.asp

I would like to replace it with something at about the same price, and with just one mode. Or, just a bright and dim mode. It will need to be OK for pocket carry, so no scary tactical bezels. I'd kind of like a push-button switch (on the tail, or on the side), as long as it will not come on in my pocket. Also, it should run on AAs, since my employer is already supplying those (it will be mainly a work flashlight).

The Fenix E21 looks pretty good, but I think I'd prefer a flashlight with just the one mode, that puts out maybe 75-100 lumens.
http://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_420&products_id=2421

The Maglite I have now is supposed to deliver 77 lumens for 10 hrs, 45 minutes, but I seem to be changing batteries pretty often. Can I expect a 2AA flashlight to throw that many lumens for longer than that, or am I asking to change the laws of physics?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Want flashlight recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
The Fenix E21 is a good flashlight, the mode selector is you twist the head, not press the button so it is very unobstrusive.

I would highly suggest using lithium AA batteries in it, I always had problems with AA batteries leaking in mine. It will last a very long time on AA batteries so the cost difference is not a killer at all.

The maglites are crap, period, from light, battery, and reliability standpoint. Just about anything is better than them, and the upgrades for them are pointless. The only maglites that are any good are the fullsize D cell maglites, and they are only good as a club with a secondary flashlight function.

The E21 is exactly what you are looking for, trust me on that. Waste no more money on Maglites.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »
i have been very pleased with my ultrafire u-20.  inexpensive, positive tailswitch, easily pocketable, decent battery life, and fairly bright for 1 aa.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/ultrafire-u20-cree-xpg-r5-200lumen-waterproof-led-flashlight-1aa114500-no-gift-box-package-p-4581

an alkaline battery lasts me about a month with daily use of short bursts.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »
I like Ultrafires for larger lights (2x123 etc), but if you want something with good performance, but small, check out the Fenix E05.  It's tiny, keychain size actually, but outperforms even 2xD incandescent lights.  Well worth the price IMO.  If you use an Energizer Lithium AAA, the weight is negligible.  SWMBO liked mine so much, she got one for herself (in purple).

It's bright enough for camping and navigating the woods at night while getting to my treestand.  

Edit to add: I thought that was the old Mag AA, not the newer one with an LED bulb.  Also didn't notice the AA requirement due to supply chain at work. 

Chris

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 12:47:49 PM »
You might check out Inova. I've bought several at Target. Other than cracking a lens on one, they've been great moderately priced lights.
Or, you could go the really cheap option- Autozone has little pen lights for $2.50 that work pretty well.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:54:24 PM »
I thought that was the old Mag AA, not the newer one with an LED bulb.

The incandescent or LED maglites both suck equally...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »
I'll put in a plug for the Maratac flashlights from County Comm (AA version ($33): http://countycomm.com/aaworldssmallest.html, AAA version ($25): http://countycomm.com/aaa.html). I've been extremely happy with the AAA version I got. The AA version has a longer runtime, slightly brighter high mode, and has a lower low mode (0.25 low/125 High vs 1.5 low/115 High in the AAA version). No buttons however, twist to turn on/off/change modes.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
Go to Lowes and look at their flashlight section.  They sell a smaller Maglite that is more powerful.  I suggest this because you already like Maglites.  I have two or three of these.  Their weak point is battery usage and they warm up when left continually on. They have two settings and no strobe.  I am not fond of the strobe feature.

I have a number of a cheap LED lights that are about the same size as the small maglite you use.  They run about $30 for two.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »
fenix PD30- I have several, bought for exactly the purpose you describe.
 Small diameter, fits in pocket..about 5" long.
 non aggressive texture.

runs on 2- 123's, and frankly, after seeing the exceptional run time, I would not use anything else.

has a low, medium,high , twist the bezel and you get strobe and ultra high setting, (pre selectable).  about 275 lumins on high.

I carry this every day . all day, all year. It is used once , twice, 10 times in a day, mostly to look into a machine or electrical box, sometimes to check out the yard for creatures, it is an amazingly useful and flexible tool.
 When I am in the city I set it for strobe, just as a tool to disorient aggressive folks.

I change the batteries once a year or so, when they get low, the only the low setting works, with a very slight strobe to let you know.
 durability is great, never had a problem-the anodizing is wearing off from bouncing around next to my keys, but overall, this is the best light I have ever used.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »
That Fenix model would appeal to me.  I also use my lights for looking into poorly lit areas (computers, HVAC, engine, machines, etc.) and it sounds like a great choice.  Probably more expensive than my present lights.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
Fenix is where the price-performance curves meet.

I've carried a P1D-CE daily in my watch pocket for over seven years now. And an LD41 just went into my SHTF  stash with lithium AA batteries.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »
It amazes me how much brighter the average flashlight is these days.  And yes, the old incandescent maglites were not good lights. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »
I bought a flashlight at Menard's (kind of like Lowe's but a regional chain, not national) the week before Christmas on sale for $4.  Went back yesterday to buy a few more because I was so impressed with it and they were gone and the peg was gone like they never even existed.

It's a 1W LED with about a 25mm reflector and it takes 3AAA batteries; it's about 4 inches long and fairly heavy bright stainless steel, has a click-on-click-off switch in the tail cap.  Here's the cool part: a 18670 18650 lithium battery scrounged from a computer battery pack also fits if you roll up some paper and put in the barrel for a shim.

Let's see if I can find the package so I can give you a brand and model number...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:25:18 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
For ordinary use Fenix lights are nice. I have an L0D on my keychain, and an L2D in my backpack. Those models are several years old and I don't know if they're still current models in Fenix's lineup. I would expect they'd have better, cheaper LED models by now (I think both of them were ~$45 when I bought them).

Andy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
Check out Surefire.  Huge product line of dual-output LED units, a fair number of which are thankfully free of the tackyticool crenellated bezel housing.  A little pricey but the illumination quality is tremendous and they're darn near indestrucable.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
Just to be safe, you should probably buy one of every model listed on this page and a few more that you see while shopping for these. And back up batteries for all them them. And don't forget rails to mount a few on your guns.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »
Walmart has the Coleman max for 25 bucks
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:26:03 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »
Walmart has the Coleman max for 25 bucks

They also sell their own brand for $18 that takes 4 AA batteries.  From the size of it, probably 2 rows of 2 cells.
"It's good, though..."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »
It amazes me how much brighter the average flashlight is these days.  And yes, the old incandescent maglites were not good lights.  

The incandescent maglites were the best available at the time they were introduced to the marketplace.  LED technology has changed our preception of what is needed in a flashlight.  I suggest being reasonable about choices (cost versus need).   There are a lot of flashlight junkies out there.  I am one of them I guess in the sense that I own far more flashlights than I or my family will ever realistically need.  

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 02:33:10 PM »

Let's see if I can find the package so I can give you a brand and model number...

http://habindustries.com/product.php?productsID=4&categoryID=171

It looks like stainless steel but apparently it's polished and plated cast aluminum.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »
The incandescent maglites were the best available at the time they were introduced to the marketplace.  LED technology has changed our preception of what is needed in a flashlight.  I suggest being reasonable about choices (cost versus need).   There are a lot of flashlight junkies out there.  I am one of them I guess in the sense that I own far more flashlights than I or my family will ever realistically need.  

Yup, back when I was working on offshore oil rigs in the early 80's, the mini-mag was THE light to have. At the time, about the brightest small light out there. Almost everyone carried one in a holster that held the light and a Leatherman.

Now one of my favorite lights for everyday stuff (though it probably doesn't meet fistful's requirements), is the Streasmlight Protac 1L. They make a single cell AA version as well. Super compact and 110 lumens on high. I have several of them and they're super compact and handy. I use one at work in the server closet a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88030-Tactical-Flashlight-Includes/dp/B003GXF9MW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1357069019&sr=8-15&keywords=streamlight
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »
I got a few of these when they were free with a coupon or $.99 if you bought something.  One is my EDC and there are a couple in the junk drawer (emergency stash)

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-12-9-led-mini-flashlight-69111.html

Robert got one of these for $1.99 with a coupon:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-3-4-quarter-inch-32-led-flashlight-98504.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.