Author Topic: Anyone here buys precious metal bullion?  (Read 16050 times)

Art Eatman

• friend
Re: Anyone here buys precious metal bullion?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 06:27:34 AM »
ilbob, a couple of problems with your analysis:  First off, in times of inflation, gold is seen as a hedge; its price commonly rises faster than the inflation rate.  Ergo, it works as a hedge.  The deal is, when you see the central bank raising the discount rate enough to fight inflation, you sell the gold and go back into equities or whatever.

"Gold Bugs" deal in a very few million ounces.  Central banks buy/sell/carry-trade many hundreds of tons.  Gold bugs have a trivial effect on gold prices.

For the Average Guy, coins are preferred over bars, just because they're more of a known quantity to other AGs and storekeepers, etc.

The reason some folks jeer at the idea of gold/silver as money is that the US has never been invaded conquered, as has happened in Europe and other countries where the established currency collapsed to a zero value.  The belief is that "It can't happen here."

Okay; assume it can't happen here.  That in no way prevents you from making a profit in the time-honored game of asset trading, viewing gold purely as a commodity.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 07:07:12 AM »
If I can find it, there's an excellent series of essay on living after the economy collapsed in Argentina. Frugal Squirell was hosting it at some point.

He reported that small stamped gold rings were a much better barter tool for most transactions, since an ounce of gold was too big. Nobody could make change for one, and it made the bearer more of a target.

Lee Lapin

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 08:17:08 AM »
Waitone,

I think you're confused.

Bullion can be in the form of coins, not just metal bars or odd chunks of gold or silver.  You may see some coins actually referred to as 'bullion coins'- like the US Mint-produced modern Eagles in both gold and silver for example.  Bullion coins are conveniently sized units of clearly stated purity with a clear origin- all good features for high-value items that would otherwise need to be professionally assayed every time they changed hands.  Some coins are privately minted and not produced by government mints as well, these are sometimes referred to as 'rounds' and usually sell for closer to the value of the metal in the coin, as the official mints still charge a higher percentage for their official stamp of approval.  But bullion coins were never made for or intended for circulation by government mints.  Some of the private mints do intend for their coins to circulate as money, like the Liberty Dollar.

Of course some coins made of precious metals by government mints circulated at one time- they were money, of course they circulated.  That would include both gold and silver- in the US, gold coins and gold-redeemable paper currency circulated until 1933, and silver coins were minted until 1964 (Kennedy half dollars were 40% silver until 1969).  Some of those coins made for circulation are referred to as numismatic or collectable coins and have a substantial price premium over their face value.  Bullion coins for the most part are just a convenient way to own precious metals.

I'd as soon not get into the ongoing fracas over owning PMs, it's your money and you can do with it what you want.  Look into the history of fiat currencies throughout history, and make up your own mind in what form you prefer to hold your savings.

Personally I chose a long time ago not to have a savings account denominated in paper or digits.  You can choose what you will.

lpl/nc

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
I keep all my savings in the form of Beanie Babies.  Laugh all you want, but you'll be trading me your sweet little custom guns for plush toys, once the apocalypse hits and your kids start whining. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 09:57:56 AM »
I keep all my savings in the form of Beanie Babies.   

I worked with a guy who did that.

Seriously.

His daughter's college was going to be all paid for with his investment in beanie babies.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 10:28:07 AM »
It was true at the time.  It is true today.  If you average out probably any 20 year period it will be true.
Is there an exact correlation?  No.  But in general prices for things in absolute terms (as opposed to dollar terms) tend to remain constant.

Another provably false assertion.

Take a look at the price of gold, silver, oil, wheat, corn, and other commodities, and average it out over any 20 year period you want to. Unless you define correlation to be +/-50%, you will find that the normal fluctuations in supply and demand, supply disruptions, market manipulation, etc. far outstrip any correlation to price levels in general.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 12:40:16 PM »
I won't be the one to say "It can't happen here. I am too young to remember even the Carter years, but I read history books, and a picture that has stayed with me was one of german women in the 20s I believe pushing a wheelbarrow full of deustchmarks. No, they were not heading for the hills with their .22 cal. suppressed survival rifle; they were going to the market to buy bread. Rampant inflation rendered their paper useless. If one day the dollar is useless, a pocketful of gold coin will convert into lots of useful stuff or into another currency to buy useful stuff.
I buy it as a bottom line insurance policy.  My FIL was forced to flee Germany in 1940 with his parents (he was 4).  They were middle class there but here had nothing.  A pocket ful of gold would have made a difference.

That could be any of us.

Buying gold stocks, commodity market and such makes sense day to day. As long as the computer works, your assets are not frozen, and you do not mind the world knowing what you have. It does not have to be a hurricane or TEOTWAWKI, any number of reasons may arise to make you walk away from your normal life. A pocket of gold might help you start again somewhere else.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 12:44:12 PM »
It was true at the time.  It is true today.  If you average out probably any 20 year period it will be true.
Is there an exact correlation?  No.  But in general prices for things in absolute terms (as opposed to dollar terms) tend to remain constant.

Another provably false assertion.

Take a look at the price of gold, silver, oil, wheat, corn, and other commodities, and average it out over any 20 year period you want to. Unless you define correlation to be +/-50%, you will find that the normal fluctuations in supply and demand, supply disruptions, market manipulation, etc. far outstrip any correlation to price levels in general.

Do you have any proof for this patently erroneous assertion?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 07:23:23 PM »
I am with Art on this one. Funny we agree on a lot of things, yet I am probably 40 years younger.

In the modern world, gold is just another commodity you can trade in trying to turn a profit. It has no value to me in terms of SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situations. I doubt anybody thinking clearly will trade gold for quite some time after Day Zero. Food, clothing, tools, and medicine will be all the meaningful market. If you want to stockpile something useful for a big cataclysm, may it be the above four plus knowledge and physical fitness. Gold is a heavy, impractical luxury.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 07:24:59 PM »
What if SHTF is defined as hyperinflation and economic collapse?

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 07:40:44 PM »
There a lot of gold coins of less than an ounce.  The Mexican 2-Peso, e.g., is about 1/25th of an ounce.  There are also the 2-1/2-, 5-, 10-, 20- and 50-Peso coins; the last is 1.23 ounces.  Gold for major purchases; silver for the small.

"What if SHTF is defined as hyperinflation and economic collapse?"

I gayrawndamntee you that some sort of intrinsic-value coinage will happily be accepted.  The actual pricing, of course, will vary with the replaceability of the item for sale:  "Just as now, only different."  Different items, that is.  The higher the technology, the scarcer the item; gasoline, for instance.  If replacement depends on there being electricity or long-distance transportation, it will be costly.

Art

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 08:29:46 PM »
Gold as a SHTF barter good is fairly useless.  You can't feed it to your children, it won't keep you warm at night, it won't help you get from here to there.  In fact, gold doesn't do anything except sit there and look shiny.  In a disaster, who is going to trade you something useful for that gold coin when people everywhere are desperately looking for their next meal or their next fix or their next safe place to sleep at night?

If you want to keep gold for use in a SHTF situation, you're gambling on three big uncertainties.  First, you're gambling that our existing currency (FRNs) will someday cease to be a universal and useful trade medium.  Second, you're gambling that some new trade medium will develop to replace our FRNs (i.e. that society will develop beyond barter trading for the necessities of life, before the SHTF situation recovers).  Third, you're gambling that the new medium will be gold and/or silver instead of something else, like say gasoline or steel or livestock.

If you wanna speculate in the markets and try to make some bucks investing in gold, go for it.  If you like collecting pretty shiny things, buy whatever coins you want.  But I find it hard to envision a scenario where building up a stockpile of gold as a nest egg for some future time would prove to be the smartest available course of action.  It's not that gold will ever be a bad thing to own, it's just that there are so many better things to own.

Buy a plot of tillable land.  Build a hand-operated well, a barn, a small cabin and an outhouse.  Buy a tractor or a mule, a plow, and a few sacks of seed.  I assume you already have a rifle or a shotgun with a few hundred rounds.  If the bad times ever come, regardless of what shape they come in, you'll be as safe and sound as anyone can be. 

Heck, even something as mundane as a good bicycle or a stout pair of boots will likely prove more useful and valuable in a SHTF situation than a similar value of gold.

And if the bad times don't come (which is a very real possibility, one that SHTFers and survivalists oughta devote some serious thought to), that real estate investment will prove many times more valuable than those shiny yellow lumps.  That bike will be a pleasant diversion and a good source of healthy exercise.  Good boots are always good.  Gold?  Eh.  I suppose it'll still be shiny, for whatever that's worth.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 08:32:44 PM »
In hyperinflation or economic collapse the "electronic digits" in your asset portfolio will probably never regain their pre-crash value.  If the crash is precipitated by some catostrophic event most of us won't even be able to get money out of the bank/ATM.  If everybody tries to withdraw their balances our whole economic system implodes.

It can happen here.  It did in 1929.  It probably will again.  There's way too much consumer debt out there that's currently fueling our economy.  One good hiccup and the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.  A bird flu scare OR actual epidemic would do it.

At some point in time post-crash I believe that gold/silver coinage would regain value as a medium of trade.  It has for several thousand years.

Beans, bullets, band-aids, and bullion.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

LAK

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 12:56:15 AM »
One of the best ads I ever saw had copy that ran:  200 years ago one ounce of gold could buy a fancy man's suit.  Today one ounce of gold will still buy a fancy man's suit.
The relationship between most things is relatively constant.  As to what the gold will buy, that is a market decision.  In the concentration camps gold didnt buy that much because everyone had some.  Bread on the other hand was valuable.  My father told me that in Europe in 1946 you could buy all sorts of things for a pack of American cigarettes.

Boutros Boutros by Golly, first it was basmati rice - now precious metals and other things.

Cigarettes, cigars, coffee, tea, scotch, brandy (etc), sugar, salt and spices, etc etc. All good barter in very troubled times.

As to precious metals, bullion - or junk silver - is usually the most economical. Coins are fine, but I prefer the ones that have lower numismatic values; most people are not going to honor the high collector value of many coins.

--------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 02:00:02 AM »
A diverse investment portfolio should contain gold IMO. I also keep a chunk of my money in Euros. About the only thing I dont invest in is U.S growth (not very patriotic I know). I like the idea that if the U.S economy ever tanks due to hyper inflation, China calling the debt home, etc I wont lose every dime I have. Why keep gold? Simple answer is it has been a standard of wealth for the last few thousand years and is very likely to be so for a few thousand more. I take delivery BTW in the form of coin, and ingots. I dont like the idea the at anytime (say economic crisis) the fed can snatch privately held gold out of your hands, as well as raid safe deposit boxes in search of it.
A new place to disuss all things firearms related
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 05:32:44 AM »
HTG, why would you expect there not to be some medium of exchange, after the SHTF?  Sure, initially there would be basic barter of all manner of items, but within a short period of time we'd have some sort of commerce.  Humankind always has had some sort of system come into being.

Whatever the form, "money" is a medium of exchange. 

For example:  Let's say I have a major store of gunpowder, bullets and primers already on hand.  Post Apocalypse, I can trade ammo for chickens or veggies.  Or I can decide to take in some amount of intrinsic-value coinage  instead of chickens or veggies.  I can then use "money" to buy chickens or veggies from a neighbor with a garden.

Or, being a good entrepreneur, I can hire somebody to do the work of loading ammo while I follow some other economic activity.  My hired hand(s) then take the "money" off to whomever has started some sort of store...

Next thing ya know, we'll have a stock exchange...

Smiley, Art

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 06:11:21 AM »
HTG, why would you expect there not to be some medium of exchange, after the SHTF?  Sure, initially there would be basic barter of all manner of items, but within a short period of time we'd have some sort of commerce.  Humankind always has had some sort of system come into being.

Whatever the form, "money" is a medium of exchange. 

For example:  Let's say I have a major store of gunpowder, bullets and primers already on hand.  Post Apocalypse, I can trade ammo for chickens or veggies.  Or I can decide to take in some amount of intrinsic-value coinage  instead of chickens or veggies.  I can then use "money" to buy chickens or veggies from a neighbor with a garden.

Or, being a good entrepreneur, I can hire somebody to do the work of loading ammo while I follow some other economic activity.  My hired hand(s) then take the "money" off to whomever has started some sort of store...

Next thing ya know, we'll have a stock exchange...

Smiley, Art
I agree, there will always be trade.  The question is whether or not that trade will be money-based, rather than simple barter.  In a political upheaval strong enough to make people distrust FRNs, the odds are good that people will be leery of any sort of "money".  They'll want solid, tangible, useful goods.  Gold may be solid and tangible, but it sure isn't useful.  Not any more so than FRNs.

These days we use money-based trading almost exclusively, with FRNs as the universal form of money.  There's no reason that we can't perform money-based trades using something else as money.  Lots of things have been used as money over the years, including gold/silver, cattle, beads, shells, diamonds...  Eventually, the more advanced economies advance to using paper representations of those physical items (eg silver certificates instead of actual silver).  But regardless of what form the money takes, the one inescapable requirement for "money" is that it be universally agreed upon as valuable in trade for any sort of good or service in the marketplace.

So we agree that there will be trade of some sort, beginning as simple barter.  Over time (if the SHTF situation doesn't resolve itself quickly enough), that primitive barter economy may evolve into something better.  But if FRNs disappear for some reason, then there won't be any money until society as a whole agrees upon some new substance as universally valuable in trade.  There's no guarantee that that will happen at all, especially within the limited time frame of a political/social/economic disaster. Even if a new monetary substance does rise to the top, there's no telling what that substance might be.  Gold might become that new standard.  Or silver might.  Or gasoline might.  Or kerosene.  Or corn.  Or cigarrettes.  Or ammunition.  Or baby formula.  Who knows what a local economy will come to accept as the great clearinghouse trade item?

One of the more interesting alternatives to FRNs is to back money with a certain quantity of energy, say a gallon of gasoline or a kWhr of electricity.  This makes sense, because the availability of energy is the one big limiting factor in the growth of developed industrialized economies.  Thus under an energy standard currency, the money base and the economy would automatically grow at the same rate, both growing in proportion to the availability of energy.  It's a clever idea.  Anyways, the point is that money isn't necessarily gold or silver, it could be any number of other things.  If you hold gold hoping that it will eventually become money again, you're taking a significant risk.  There's little guarantee that gold will become the new standard medium of trade if FRNs ever disappear.

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 07:08:29 AM »
There's little guarantee that gold will become the new standard medium of trade if FRNs ever disappear.
You will be able to exchange gold for whatever becomes the medium of trade.  Barter is horrendously inefficient, and people will immediately seek a currency that can be denominated.  Previous foreign currency crises show that people do not lose faith in all paper money, just the one that is imploding.  So unless the world devolves into Mad Max people will not be trading in gasoline.  I don't understand why some people only include bibical disasters in their conception of SHTF.  Man-made economic woes can be devastating and happen with some regularity.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 07:31:52 AM »
Enough people are buying gold that there has been some talk among the Feds of regulating trade in gold, i.e., requiring all transactions of non-numismatic gold to be reported for tax purposes. One definition of numismatic gold that's been floated are coins that sell at some multiple - sometimes 3x - melt value . . . these would be exempt.

AFAIK, this hasn't gone anywhere, since reporting requirements for anything except LARGE transactions would be widely ignored . . . and it would effectively kill the U.S. Mint's own bullion coin sales programs.

I dabbled a bit trading coins, and did well for someone at the hobbyist level, but as numismatics began drawing investors and "slabbing" became all the rage, I figured it wasn't any place for a "dabbler" so now I only buy for my own personal collection. (Hint: The coin prices you see on the cable TV shopping channel coin collector shows generally range from high to absurd.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 07:45:26 AM »
There's little guarantee that gold will become the new standard medium of trade if FRNs ever disappear.
You will be able to exchange gold for whatever becomes the medium of trade.
Are you sure about that?  There's no guarantee that you'll get much of anything for your gold, unless economies are fairly functional and robust.  In a disaster, I don't expect luxuries like pretty lumps of yellow stuff to be in very high demand.  Go read somne accounts of life in Russia when the Communists took over.  Luxuries were the first things people tried to trade away, and consequently they weren't worth much.
Barter is horrendously inefficient, and people will immediately seek a currency that can be denominated.  Previous foreign currency crises show that people do not lose faith in all paper money, just the one that is imploding.  So unless the world devolves into Mad Max people will not be trading in gasoline.  I don't understand why some people only include bibical disasters in their conception of SHTF.  Man-made economic woes can be devastating and happen with some regularity.
This is true.  Except in a worldwide collapse, foreign currencies are likely to step in and become the money of choice, NOT gold.

Gold and silver bullion is an investment.  You buy it now, not because it's useful, but because someday you hope to be able to sell it for more.  You are trying to guess what people will want in the future, then buy it now and hold it until your guess proves right.  If you buy gold in preparation for a SHTF situation you're making an investment, one that's based upon some fairly radical ideas about the future course of the markets.  You're gambling that SHTF will actually occur, then you're gambling further that the SHTF that does occur will be one in which gold is a sound investment.

Bottom line is that gold as anything other than speculation is a fools investment.  You have to really, truly believe that some sort of radical political/economic upheaval is going to turn the market upside down.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
Gold as a SHTF barter good is fairly useless.  You can't feed it to your children,

...ditto Federal Reserve notes....

it won't keep you warm at night,

unless carrying quantities wortthy of a cocaine cartel, neither will Federal Reserve notes - make good kindling tho  (and TP)....

it won't help you get from here to there.

Same for FedRes notes.

In fact, gold doesn't do anything except sit there and look shiny.

People want it - especially women and rap singers.  It is a near universally desired scarce mineral with unique properties and unversally recognized as a high density/low volume means to store and transport wealth.  Not to mention its STILL used to back currency - look at the dinar.

In a disaster, who is going to trade you something useful for that gold coin when people everywhere are desperately looking for their next meal or their next fix or their next safe place to sleep at night?

You have an alternative in mind?

If you want to keep gold for use in a SHTF situation, you're gambling on three big uncertainties.  First, you're gambling that our existing currency (FRNs) will someday cease to be a universal and useful trade medium.

...already starting to happen.  Effectively, up until now, our dollar was "backed" by its converability into OPEC oil.  The countries involved are slowly (so as not to risk their current holdings in dollars) shifting to the Euro and the islamic dinar.   If they shift all the way to the dinar, it will take GOLD to get OIL.

Second, you're gambling that some new trade medium will develop to replace our FRNs (i.e. that society will develop beyond barter trading for the necessities of life, before the SHTF situation recovers).

...and through history, thats been gold, silver, copper, and such - especially when formed into units of known purity and weight - like COINS!

Third, you're gambling that the new medium will be gold and/or silver instead of something else, like say gasoline or steel or livestock.

Even those that deal oin gasoline or livestock are going to want a higher density, lower overhead(a given "worth" of gasoline is relatively large, has to be stored in some type of container, and goes bad after a while - cattle must be fed, sheltered, doctored, and moving either in large quantities is an undertaking that requires much manpower and special equipment.)

Buy a plot of tillable land.  Build a hand-operated well, a barn, a small cabin and an outhouse.  Buy a tractor or a mule, a plow, and a few sacks of seed.  I assume you already have a rifle or a shotgun with a few hundred rounds.  If the bad times ever come, regardless of what shape they come in, you'll be as safe and sound as anyone can be.  

...if you don't have to move.  If your tillable land is now radioactive, or otherwise unusable, or if you have parents hundreds of miles away to check on, now what?

Heck, even something as mundane as a good bicycle or a stout pair of boots will likely prove more useful and valuable in a SHTF situation than a similar value of gold.

Its not an "either-or" situation.
And if the bad times don't come (which is a very real possibility, one that SHTFers and survivalists oughta devote some serious thought to), that real estate investment will prove many times more valuable than those shiny yellow lumps.  That bike will be a pleasant diversion and a good source of healthy exercise.  Good boots are always good.  Gold?  Eh.  I suppose it'll still be shiny, for whatever that's worth.

...and that gold that sank on Spanish treasure ships?  It's STILL highly valuable and desireable, even now, and people risk their lives to retrieve it.  Try leaving your gasoline or cattle underwater for 400 years and see what kind of shape they are in.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2007, 07:58:13 AM »
...and that gold that sank on Spanish treasure ships?  It's STILL highly valuable and desireable, even now, and people risk their lives to retrieve it.  Try leaving your gasoline or cattle underwater for 400 years and see what kind of shape they are in.

Well that's just silly, there's no way the cows will survive underwater with only gasoline to eat.  They need grain too. rolleyes
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 08:04:50 AM »
You will be able to exchange gold for whatever becomes the medium of trade.
Are you sure about that?  There's no guarantee that you'll get much of anything for your gold, unless economies are fairly functional and robust.  In a disaster, I don't expect luxuries like pretty lumps of yellow stuff to be in very high demand.  Go read somne accounts of life in Russia when the Communists took over.  Luxuries were the first things people tried to trade away, and consequently they weren't worth much.

A very few examples otherwise do not negate the fact that gold is, was, and quite probably always will be a recognized form of portable, impossible to counterfeit, and desireable wealth.

Barter is horrendously inefficient, and people will immediately seek a currency that can be denominated.  Previous foreign currency crises show that people do not lose faith in all paper money, just the one that is imploding.  So unless the world devolves into Mad Max people will not be trading in gasoline.  I don't understand why some people only include bibical disasters in their conception of SHTF.  Man-made economic woes can be devastating and happen with some regularity.
This is true.  Except in a worldwide collapse, foreign currencies are likely to step in and become the money of choice, NOT gold.

1.  Do you have even a CLUE how many foreign currencies are pegged tothe dollar?  if it goes, they ALL go....
2.  ...and in whatever foreign currency IS still viablem, there will be a commodity price for gold - which tends to go UP radically in times of distress and uncertainty.

Gold and silver bullion is an investment.

Thats ONE use.  Its also used for jewelry, other decoration, industrial purposes - (guess whats in the windshields of CH-47 helicopters - go ahead - guess...) - and, even today - MONEY.

You buy it now, not because it's useful, but because someday you hope to be able to sell it for more.

POP quiz - what happens to the price of gold in uncertain times?

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 08:19:42 AM »
Thats ONE use.  Its also used for jewelry, other decoration, industrial purposes - (guess whats in the windshields of CH-47 helicopters - go ahead - guess...) - and, even today - MONEY.

Glass!

Hah, what do I win?

Oh, I get it now...   sad

I think gold has, if nothing else, the weight of history behind it.  It's been years since we as a culture used it for anything approaching money though.  Do WE (on the whole) still have the mentality to switch back to a gold-based economy?  For our grandparents it was just a few years in the past that you had real specie coins, kids younger than me know gold only as "bling".  Which ain't a currency mindset.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2007, 08:46:07 AM »
Why you hatin' on my bling, dog? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife