Author Topic: Ha ha! (Rahm Emanuel ruled not a Chicago resident by state Appeals Court)  (Read 5472 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Rahm Emanuel gave up his job in the White House to run for mayor of Chicago.  It may seem like an odd move, perhaps, to give up the #2 post at the Federal Executive branch to become the #1 man in a much smaller jurisdiction.  But it makes some sense when you realize in Chicago "mayor" is semantically equal to "dictator for life".  So the Chicago mayor job is actually an improvement in terms of thug politics and raw personal power, and Rahm was moving on up.

Or so he thought.  Turns out he's not a resident of Chicago (no real surprise there - he's been in DC for the past 2 years), and that election laws maybe do matter a little bit in Chicago (big surprise there).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110124/ap_on_go_ot/us_chicago_mayor_emanuel

An Illinois Appeals Court ruled Monday that former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel's name can't appear on the ballot for Chicago mayor because he didn't live in the city in the year before the election.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:15:02 PM by tyme »

Regolith

• friend
Re: Ha ha!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:46:31 PM »
That is awesome.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »
An Illinois Appeals Court ruled Monday that former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel's name can't appear on the ballot for Chicago mayor because he didn't live in the city in the year before the election.

How sweet it is!

Of course, he may just do it anyway.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
Yeah, that's the real risk, isn't it?  He can't become mayor, but that doesn't mean he won't.  It's still Chicago.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
He'll probably just keep judge-shopping until he finds one he can pay off.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »
Nah.

He'll keep collecting his federal goobermint white house staffer pension for the next 4 years and then run against whomever is in office for the next election.

Then he'll double-dip on the mayor's pay and the fed pension. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Even if it's ultimately overturned somehow, that's sweet. Made my day.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »
Is it wrong that I giggled like a schoolgirl when I read about this?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
He'll settle for puppetmaster.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »
Thank you, God!!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 03:51:10 PM »
Is it wrong that I giggled like a schoolgirl when I read about this?

Wrong?  No.  Disturbing?  Yes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
Even the Pygmy Goats are happy about the news. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H3261x-QgI
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 06:49:40 PM »
Yeah, that's the real risk, isn't it?  He can't become mayor, but that doesn't mean he won't.  It's still Chicago.

Why let a little thing like elligibility stop him?....Didn't stop his boss....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »

I think MSNBC just found their new host for "Countdown."

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »
and again

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
I think MSNBC just found their new host for "Countdown."

I don't think talk shows are Emmanuel's style. "The Sopranos" might be more fitting.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »
You think the Illinois Supreme Court will not rule in Rahm's favor?

Silly children. :facepalm:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
^^^This.  Rahm will end up mayor of Chicago.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »
http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20101202.php

Seems reasonable to me that he's a Chicago resident.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Ha ha! (Rahm Emanuel ruled not a Chicago resident by state Appeals Court)
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 03:28:38 AM »
Devil's advocate.
As much as I dislike the guy I think he should be eligible.
He was quite technically involved in federal service. To deny him eligibility would open the door to denying a service member recently retired/discharged veteran from being able to return home and run for office.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »
http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20101202.php

Seems reasonable to me that he's a Chicago resident.
I'm not so sure about that.  The law your author cites as proof Rahm is eligible doesn't seem to cvover his situation as clearly as the author would have us believe.  

Going back to the law that he quotes, I see a requirement that candidates must be residents of the district for a year prior to the election.  An exception is given if you maintain a permanent abode in your home district but are physically away from the district on government business.  

This makes sense, and it's something commonly done by congresscritters and the like.  They rent a room in DC to stay in while working, but they keep their families, possessions, and homes in their old districts.  They frequently return home for weekends and breaks.  They quite clearly remain residents of their home districts, even while they're out of town on government business.

In fact, this is exactly what Rahm himself did when he was a Congressman before becoming Barry's #2.  He had a small apartment in DC, but his main home, his stuff, and his family were all in Chicago.

But when he took the Chief of Staff job, he packed up his old house and moved his possessions and family out to DC.  He took out a long term lease on his new home in DC, and he gave up his old Chicago house on another long term lease.  He left nothing of substance behind in Chicago except some of the furniture and the books in the library, which in context can probably be considered as features of the leased house more so than personal possessions.

The lawyers will wrangle, and this is still Chicago where political power always trumps the law.  But based on the law I've seen, Rahm's flat out ineligible.  He didn't just spend time out of town while on government business, he picked up and moved away, gave up his abode and thus his residency status.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:41:17 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 11:12:14 AM »
RKL, Chicago's municipal code has an explicit exemption to the requirement for military folks who are stationed away from Chicago.

Tyme, I didn't have a chance to read the article you linked, but I did read the majority's opinion as well as a portion of the dissent.  I think the majority's opinion was well reasoned, and raised a couple of very good points regarding "residency" vs. "reside in".

The crux of the argument that Emanuel was making was that he maintained his "residency" in Chicago by keeping his house, as well as keeping several posessions in the house even though it was leased out.  Additionally, he stated that it was never his intent to permanently leave Chicago, only to be gone temporarily.  And the court of appeals agreed to all of that.  But they pointed out that the way the law is written, merely maintaining residency is only a qualification to be a voter.  In order to be a candidate, there is a further, more stringent requirement that requires the candidate to have been actually living in the municipality for that prior year.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »
Understood, but I would consider a job as the POTUS's Chief of Staff to be "business of United States", barring some extremely clear and compelling case law to the contrary.

It's quite clear that such a job is temporary, so my question for the court would be: where do they think he's going to live after Obama's done?  If the answer is the obvious one: "move back into his Chicago home", then it seems to me quite clear that he was in D.C. not to move there but on business of the U.S.  How is that really any different from being an ambassador and living in a foreign country?

It sounds like you're proposing that if he wanted to keep his Chi-town residency, he should have permanently rented a hotel room in D.C.  I think it's absurd to force someone into that living arrangement if they want to keep their prior residency while serving as Chief of Staff.

Being a congressperson and being Chief of Staff are, I suspect, very different from a logistics perspective.  I don't think flying home once or thrice a month is really an option for the Chief of Staff.

However, for other positions like a hypothetical Presidential dogwalker in chief, or chief WH chef, I'm not so sure.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:52:41 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »
Where did he pay taxes?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.