Author Topic: CBO: Social Security Now Officially Broke  (Read 6145 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: CBO: Social Security Now Officially Broke
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 11:35:50 PM »
You don't think there's tens of millions of us "baby boomers" (I hate that monicker) who have been screaming about having our money confiscated to support this Ponzi scheme for the last 40+ years of our careers?

I'm one of those, and I don't expect it to be there in just seven years when I would be eligible for full benefits.

I'm sure there are some. My mother barely qualifies as a baby boomer, (JUST after the war years) and she'd be another.

I know not all baby boomers think "I paid in so I'm getting mine, screw the rest of you!" It sure seems like a majority are, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »
What's funny is, I'm perfectly willing to be the one to take the hit.

I'm willing to ask my generation to pay in most of our adult lives knowing we'll never get a dime. (After all, we're expecting that, anyway.) All I ask is that we end this travesty so my children don't have to have their money stolen to pay for me.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »
^Well said, mak. I'm with you.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »
Next up?  Confiscation of private retirement funds.

Yep. It will happen. And it will get very ugly.

They may actually attempt it.  If they do, we’ll finally see what DC thinks of our views on things.  It will be ugly.  I hope since my wife works for our financial adviser that we can get those funds out before it happens.  Of course, by then the money won’t be worth all that much anyway.  But that’s one reason I try to get as much information on new proposed laws in that area as fast as possible.  I’m not waiting until after it passes to see what’s in it.

I'm close... oh so close to retirement.  I worked hard to get here.  Retired from the military with 22 years.  That pension, currently at about $720 a month, is actually relatively small since 18 of those years were in the National Guard.  Still, it's a nice little monthly check.  I'm just finishing (in 3yrs, 7 months and 12 days- not that I'm counting) a job that will hopefully give me a good pension- if the money is still there.  And of course Social Security if I can count on it.  Adding in a couple of personal retirement funds, I was suppose to be in good shape at about age 62.  Not really sure now.

Even if I really get everything, if they inflate costs and the value of the dollar decreases, I may end up dollar rich and money poor.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 08:45:11 AM »
One can go on and on about how SS beneficiaries paid in, and are now "owed".  That doesn't change the fact that that it ain't gonna be there for the X-ers and follow on workers.  An illustrative example.  A good friend of mine was a VN veteran, and while "over there" had his paycheck sent to his father to manage.  His father, a spendthrift with poor judgement (sounding familiar yet?) pissed away his son's money as he received it.  Son  returns from 'Nam, expecting to buy a new Corvette.  Imagine his chagrin and dismay!  Yes, his son was owed by his father.  That didn't change the objective fact that there was no wealth for the father to repay the son.  In that case, however, the father didn't have the option of "monetizing the debt" or "quantitative easing".

The point I'm making is:  The rectitude of the claim of future retirees ("I paid in, you gotta pay me back") doesn't trump the fact that Uncle Sam, the SSA, etc., have pissed it away as fast as it was paid in, and will have no ability to pay it back under any foreseeable circumstances.  The promise that was made was never going to be kept, and while the outrage is justified, it's not going to create the wealth necessary to redeem the promise.

Welcome to hyperinflation.  This will allow Uncle Sam to pay back the dollars, without paying back the purchasing power.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 10:00:21 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness

Exactly what I thought when I read CSD's url. 

Someone who names their blog after such a term is either ignorant or attempting humor.  Not to be taken seriously, in either case.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »
still waiting for anyone to define his politics, particularly for mb to support his characterization.  no shortage of writing by the guy to work from
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I