Author Topic: Ann Coulter on the State of the Union speech  (Read 1365 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Ann Coulter on the State of the Union speech
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:54:31 PM »
For the last year or so, Ann Coulter has seemed to have lost some of her witty edginess. It was back tonight, though, in her column on Obama's SOTU speech, which you can find here.

This was one of several gems:

Obama said, "We are the nation that put cars in driveways and computers in offices; the nation of Edison and the Wright brothers; of Google and Facebook."

And then the government outlawed Edison's great invention, made the Wright brothers' air travel insufferable, filed anti-trust charges against Microsoft and made cars too expensive to drive by prohibiting oil exploration, and right now -- at this very minute -- is desperately trying to regulate the Internet.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Ann Coulter on the State of the Union speech
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:11:14 AM »
That is beautiful.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »
Yep. She was in rare form in that article.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:15:44 AM »
It's sad because it's true  =|

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
I still think she's being too easy on Nero Obama.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 02:30:19 AM »
I'd be more impressed with her position on net neutrality if I thought she knew what TCP stands for.  She probably thinks "net neutrality" is code for "give the government the power to block foxnews.com", which it may be in Obama's dreams, but that's quite different from what tech people mean when they say they want net neutrality.

Also, the government already has the power to block or take down sites, and they're using it poorly, by taking down sites that intellectual property owners object to.  The "government might shut down sites it doesn't like" scare tactic to sway people against net neutrality might work better if a) the government wasn't already doing that, and b) net neutrality had anything to do with shutting down or filtering sites.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:35:48 AM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
If you don't like her, just say so.  No reason to start arguing against the stuff no one said.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »
I notice that are careful to tell us all the scary things that net neutrality isn't, but why IS it a good/acceptable thing?  Thread veer or new thread?

(Backstory: I have an unreasonable prejudice against Ann Coulter and have been bugged by nickpicky ways to criticize this quote since I saw it, unattributed, and re-quoted it.  Love having my unreasonable prejudices revealed unwittingly for what they are, and naturally then fixate on proving I was right after all. :lol:

I'd be more impressed with her position on net neutrality if I thought she knew what TCP stands for.  She probably thinks "net neutrality" is code for "give the government the power to block foxnews.com", which it may be in Obama's dreams, but that's quite different from what tech people mean when they say they want net neutrality.

Also, the government already has the power to block or take down sites, and they're using it poorly, by taking down sites that intellectual property owners object to.  The "government might shut down sites it doesn't like" scare tactic to sway people against net neutrality might work better if a) the government wasn't already doing that, and b) net neutrality had anything to do with shutting down or filtering sites.