Author Topic: Interesting Ben Stein article  (Read 3934 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Interesting Ben Stein article
« on: January 27, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Interesting Ben Stein article
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »
Well, he'd sure like to get the Red out.

<rim shot>

Discussion? Anyone? Mr. Buehller?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
Discussion? Anyone? Mr. Buehller?
Why bother? It is just Obama. What else needs to be discussed?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
I liked one of the reader comments about the SOTU address, "A very small speech for a very small man.  And he delivered it poorly."  Ouch.
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
Why bother? It is just Obama. What else needs to be discussed?

Win.

I'm just waiting for the politicking season to get a GOOD Republican primary contender (screw Rudy McRomney and all his friends), to start up in mid 2011.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »
Win.

I'm just waiting for the politicking season to get a GOOD Republican primary contender (screw Rudy McRomney and all his friends), to start up in mid 2011.

There's been some noise about Sen. John Thune (jr. R from SD) being a candidate this next go-around.  Need to look at him, see what he is about.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »
Win.

here is ben steins pick for 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U-L6EmY7EM
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:51:26 PM »
Ben Stein wants "wildly higher taxes on upper income people"? Seriously? What a buffoon.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »
I don't wanna vote for some guy with a weird prep-school name... No Mitt. No Newt.

Bobby sounds interesting.
Blog under construction

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 08:26:45 PM »
Ben Stein wants "wildly higher taxes on upper income people"? Seriously? What a buffoon.
I don't think he wants wildly higher taxes, I think he believe they'll be necessary.

The scary thing is he may be right. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 10:12:36 PM »

Only two ways to cut deficit.  Spend less, and/or take in more.  Taxing companies higher is just taxing consumers and investors higher.  Taxing poor or middle classes higher won't make a significant dent when you're running a $1.5 trillion spending deficit.  That leaves "wildly higher taxes on upper income people".  It's NOT a good idea, and I doubt Ben Stein thinks it is either. 

We're going to come to a day that we will not be able to borrow 50% of our federal spending.  There's gonna be interesting choices. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »
Only two ways to cut deficit.  Spend less, and/or take in more.  Taxing companies higher is just taxing consumers and investors higher.  Taxing poor or middle classes higher won't make a significant dent when you're running a $1.5 trillion spending deficit.  That leaves "wildly higher taxes on upper income people".  It's NOT a good idea, and I doubt Ben Stein thinks it is either. 

Did you read the article? He seems to think it is necessary, or at least it could be a good idea.

Am I the only one who doesn't think confiscatory tax rates will reduce the deficit?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »
Yes, but thinking it necessary to raise taxes wildly on the rich is not the same as wanting to do so.  Think "necessary evil".
Personally though, I believe it would do more harm than good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 10:58:31 PM »
The way to reduce the deficit is to drastically cut spending and perhaps raise taxes across the board modestly -- in that order.  Raise taxes first (with no real intention of meaningful spending cuts) and you'll have a taxpayer revolt.   [ar15]

Paying down the national debt may require raising taxes more substantially.  Or else getting our trade imbalance turned around the other direction (hard to do when we don't manufacture anything anymore except corn, wheat, and soybeans)

"It's good, though..."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »
The way to reduce the deficit is to drastically cut spending and perhaps raise taxes across the board modestly -- in that order.  Raise taxes first (with no real intention of meaningful spending cuts) and you'll have a taxpayer revolt.   [ar15]

Paying down the national debt may require raising taxes more substantially.  Or else getting our trade imbalance turned around the other direction (hard to do when we don't manufacture anything anymore except corn, wheat, and soybeans)

You do realize that the trade deficit has virtually nothing to do with the national debt, right?

Trade deficits are just the difference between the value of what import and what we export.  We could export nothing at all, import a crap ton, and still have no national debt.  We could also export a crap ton, import nothing and be buried in national debt.  Neither of those is likely, of course, but sustaining trade deficits and paying down the national debt are not mutually exclusive.

Government income is only realted to the trade defecit to the extent that they lose out on the reduced corporate income taxes from American business not selling as much.  However, depending on import tarriff structure the goverment might well be taking in more due to higher imports.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
Yes, but thinking it necessary to raise taxes wildly on the rich is not the same as wanting to do so.  Think "necessary evil".
Personally though, I believe it would do more harm than good.

So why doesn't Ben Stein think it will do more harm than good? Why would he think it is a necessary evil?

I've always admitted to being an economic neophyte, but I thought it was a bedrock principle of Reaganomics/Austrian economics that higher tax rates on income hinder the economy and reduce tax revenues, disincentivizing profit. They divert money from the private sector, and into wasteful government programs. Right?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
The speech was sophomoric, but it's hard to sound smart when everything you believe or say is based on falsehoods or ideological foolishness.  

Taxing the rich won't help us, only a strong and growing economy will, but that's impossible with the policies of this administration and probably impossible without a radical political metamorphosis.  We've spent half a century perpetuating, not eradicating or mitigating, poverty in America, and we've turned welfare into one of our biggest industries.  The result is we now have a vast Dependent Class comprised of the "old" poor and a growing population of "new" poor in the guise if illegals.  All we have to do is look at the rolls of those getting food stamps or on Medicaid.  

If we can't change some basic assumptions about what we value and encourage independence and productivity our problems will only get worse.  It would be great, frankly, if our multinational companies developed some "school spirit" and remembered where they were originally chartered and which culture they sprang out of.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 11:04:17 AM »
Indeed. ↑↑↑↑

I believe he also penned an article praising the "stimulus".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
"Obama does not seem like a leader anymore,"

Anymore ...?   ;/

I just can't figure out how anybody ever fell for him  ???

But then, half the world is below average intelligence.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 05:08:09 PM »
Taxing the rich won't help us,

And let's say the US raised taxes on "the rich" by a huge amount (and the rich didn't flee the country for better localities). The federal government would not check it's spending at the current level and use the increased tax money to pay off debt, no, the US government would see the increased income as an excuse to spend more, and the problem would remain.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!