Author Topic: Should tobacco be illegal?  (Read 27903 times)

Strings

Re: Should tobacco be illegal?
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2008, 07:09:05 PM »
>Almost exclusively in smokers?<

I COULD see that: either the virus being carried in certain tobacco products, or smoking (and certain other activities) decreasing the body's ability to fight said virus. Still says "a link between smoking and lung cancer" though...

And I'm a smoker: just finished one, actually...

LAK

• friend
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2008, 02:55:31 AM »
Firethorn
Again, why is it targeting the smokers so much more than the non-smokers?  Would you consider smoking at least a contributing factor then?
It is the medical establishment that has targeted smokers.

I would speculate that some of the processing chemicals and additives in factory cigarettes might depress the immune system among other things.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »
It's threads like this that make me glad I've stopped posting.  Next someone will start a thread about whether rocks are edible or whether it is just a gov't inspired plot to keep people from having free food.

So you are saying that rocks aren't edible?  Do you have any links and evidence?   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »
It is the medical establishment that has targeted smokers.

Is it targeting smokers when they point out that they've noticed that 90% of the people they see for lung cancer are smokers?

I would speculate that some of the processing chemicals and additives in factory cigarettes might depress the immune system among other things.

You're still back to the smoking being a cause for trouble - And if the processing chemicals and additives depress the immune system then there would be various other detectable effects, organic pipe/cigar smokers wouldn't be effected as much as their consumption would warrant, etc...

Oh yeah, and the cigarette companies WOULD deserve to be sued into non-existence for that.  It's a mitigatable risk.  Don't use those chemical processes to treat the tobacco then.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »
I used to smoke Organic tobacco.
It was a chore keeping it lit, not like a regular cig at all.

I'm not really involved in this thread, but just to add to the noise...
I was at an Irish hippie rainbow gathering thing and it rained the whole week so we were stuck in communal tents and the non smoking hippies got into a debate with the smoking ones because the non smokers tried to ban smoking in the communal tent.

Just as a guy tried to say that smoking wasn't harmful at all, he was beset by a smoking fit.
Hilarious, SNL couldn't do any better.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

LAK

• friend
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2008, 12:51:40 AM »
Skydancers stay lit and burn pretty evenly too - so do those American Spirit brand. The American Spirits are pricey though.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2008, 04:21:08 AM »
I used to smoke Organic tobacco.
It was a chore keeping it lit, not like a regular cig at all.

Perhaps they weren't properly dried/rolled?

Strings

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2008, 08:30:11 AM »
Keeping a cigarette lit only seems to be a problem when there's a lot of humidity, and the tobacco is REALLY moist...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
It's threads like this that make me glad I've stopped posting.  Next someone will start a thread about whether rocks are edible or whether it is just a gov't inspired plot to keep people from having free food.

So you are saying that rocks aren't edible?  Do you have any links and evidence?   

I don't know if they're edible, but I've seen plenty of people who carry them around in their heads.....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2008, 04:18:39 AM »
Agate and flint tend to crack my teeth. Limestone is ok - no taste though.