Author Topic: Rand Paul's 5 Year Budget Proposal  (Read 28804 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Rand Paul's 5 Year Budget Proposal
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:44 AM »
Sometimes what is realistic is extreme.  This is one of those times.  Merely slowing a car headed for a cliff doesn't do much good.  We are at war right now, a war against financial and economic self-destruction.  When we really act as if we believe that and start communicating it, clearly and bluntly, to the American people we might--might--have a chance at averting disaster.  "Realistic" gradualism is not going to get us anywhere in this case, because none of the people who got us or keep us here are "realistic."  When you are dealing with delusional people, you don't waste time compromising or temporizing.  Whether there is no "realistic" chance of passing Randian-style fiscal reforms isn't the issue; the issue is doing the right and noble thing by appealing to the truth, however bitter.

If the American people want to have a hard landing, fine, but they are entitled to know it's coming so they some of them can fasten their seatbelts. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2011, 03:55:19 AM »
Sometimes what is realistic is extreme. 

This.  When faced with an extreme problem, many extreme solutions become viable.  As an analogy, look how many treatments for cardiac arrest would be valid cause for lethal self-defense if done on someone who merely has indigestion.  OTOH, giving Tums for cardiac arrest is about as effective as what the Democrats want to do with the budget.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
Well, so much for that.

Went to the Tea Party rally this afternoon in DC.  Cold and damp.  Anemic, pathetic turnout.  We barely had 1,000 folks today, if that.  Not good.  Harry Reid's been saying all week that the Tea Party doesn't have any clout any more.  Well, today we managed to prove him right.   =|

A year ago we had the momentum and popular support to block most of the Dems agenda even without having any representation in congress.  We did it though massive popular opposition.  Last week I was pretty confident we could apply some more of that same political pressure and, along with our new majority in the House, force through some modest budget cuts.  We tried to flex that muscle today, and failed badly.

Got ahold of one of Mike Pence's staffers on the way home.  He told me that it's been quiet in the capitol all week.  No visitors, no flood of phone calls or letters or faxes.  The electorate isn't getting in on this fight, not like we did for health care or immigration reform.  That leaves the representatives sympathetic to our cause without a leg to stand on.

Yeah, so much for flexing that muscle.

If we get any budget reduction at all out of this, I'll be surprised.  Today was a cold, wet dose of reality.  We're still the minority.  We still lack any real political power.  We can halt their advances, but we can't make any advances of our own.

Current scuttlebutt is that they're dickering over cuts in the $30b to $40b over the remaining half budget year, so maybe $60b to $80b in annualized reductions.  Rationally, I have to think that that's not small peanuts, that it's a damned sight better than the $200b of increases Harry and Barry would have implemented if left to their own devices.  Still, not particularly satisfying.

The silver lining is that there's a real possibility of forcing in a rider to the budget bill defunding Planned Parenthood.  So maybe we'll gain some ground on the social issues front, if nothing else.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:05:41 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
was today a holiday? isn't school still in? of not and so, i wouldn't put much weight in today's turnout. after all, you're talking about people that have jobs. and don't get paid to protest. =)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2011, 10:20:44 PM »
It's not just the lack of people at the rally.  The miserable turnout is merely a symptom of the wider problem, namely that the electorate does give a fig about the current budget debate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
Just met Rand Paul this morning, nice guy.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »
Perhaps if the conservative electorate thought they really had an army of allies in Congress they might be more energized?  When they see Boehner willing to settle for $33 billion in cuts and proclaiming that we are basically an impotent minority what do you expect from people outside the actual corridors of power?  The American people have accepted the fact that they are largely ignored when decisions are made.  I would not, however, expect this apathy to continue indefinitely; when the next wave of economic distress hits, when more people find they can't get work or unemployment payments, when more homes are foreclosed, when they see their neighborly civil servants exempted from the pain, the real shape of our political theater will be formed.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
So a little bit over 10%?

They seem to think this is a final goal and not a starting point. It is better than  nothing but they could go so much deeper.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2011, 10:38:03 AM »
There will be no rational resolution of our budget problems, but it will all be very entertaining theater. There are not enough sober and productive Americans left to save the whole.  Yes, this charade will ultimately end in some form of separation, autonomy, secession, pick your own word.  You can't sell austerity to a population that has no concept that deferred gratification and industry are the basis of real economic prosperity and growth.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »
Disappointed to hear about the DC rally.  Not surprised, just disappointed. 

I'm one of those that considers the GOP to be on probation.  I also figured the probation period would last about 6 months from the convening of congress.  If I hadn't seen movement in controlling spending during that time I would conclude republicans are part of the problem and therefore meant to be swept away next go'round.  I guess what I was looking for out of Boehner was leadership.  Instead I see political process management.  There is time when leadership demands the taking of actions management considers to be ill-advised or nonsensical.  Boehner appears to be tone deaf to the need for leadership.   Yeah, the TEA party appears to be flat and dispirited but that may not be a bad thing.  It may be watching, waiting, evaluating, and considering options.  Social movement in the US typically run a 6 to 7 years from awareness of a social problem to actually dealing with the problem.  The TEA party did it in less than 2 years.  I don't think is finished, but I do think the republicans party as currently managed is in real trouble. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
The Tea Party may or may not be dispirited, but what's happening right now isn't the key issue; the issue is that the T.P. is what will form the core of a new conservative party and, maybe, the core of a new nation. 

It's very early in the game.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2011, 07:12:42 PM »
Ryan's 2012 budget is a step in the right direction.  We'll see if the gOP leadership support him or let him hang.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2011, 08:30:19 PM »
It is.  Props for Ryan.  Let's hope his proposals go somewhere.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »
Good all over Ryan and Paul. 

Problem is the same cast of characters that was unable to negotiate chump change reductions is the same cast of characters who intend to shoot the moon.  Boehner gave up his negotiating position when he said he would not shut the government down (in the words of democrats).  Boehner screwed the pooch and it can not be fixed.  Only new leadership will work.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:55 AM »
The leadership (GOP) is definitely wanting, but are these issues really negotiable any more when you have a critical mass of takers in America?  We've had 60 years of living on credit, of feeling entitled, of expecting to be taken care of.  I want to be optimistic but I think the cultural divisions, which continue to be exacerbated by those in power, are deep and wide and, I fear, unbridgeable.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/264599/strike-one-editors

The deal - even a worse sham than previously expected.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/264599/strike-one-editors

The deal - even a worse sham than previously expected.

Oh, my aching head!

No matter how cynical I become, the ruling class fools always manage to prove I am not cynical enough. 

Weepy Tan Man owes us an apology.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
I'm sure we'll be told by our betters that we're misunderstanding the significance of this budget.

Chris