Author Topic: Why Ron Paul Scares the GOP  (Read 22327 times)

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
Why Ron Paul Scares the GOP
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
There used to be an organization for people who believed in a truly limited government  limited taxes, limited spending, limited interference in individual lives and limited intervention in foreign affairs. That organization was known as the Republican Party. But the only one of those beliefs that still motivates the G.O.P. establishment is limited taxes. In 2008, people who still hold all of them joined the Ron Paul Revolution.

But now the revolution is ebbing. Congressman Paul's new campaign finance report shows that he's raised nearly $35 million, including more than any other Republican candidate in the fourth quarter of 2007, and he's inspired remarkable passion among the kind of diehards who hold up campaign signs on highway overpasses and post irate comments on obscure blogs. But the presidency isn't decided on YouTube or Technorati. Paul didn't win any Republican primaries, and he recently conceded that "victory in the conventional sense is not available."

Of course, nothing in Paul's world is ever done in the conventional sense, so he has refused to drop out of the race and endorse the presumptive G.O.P. nominee, Senator John McCain. Instead he argues that all Republicans should have "the right to vote for someone that stands for traditional Republican principles." And he's got a point.

The real significance of the Paul campaign is not the ubiquitous bumper stickers and lawn signs or the online fund-raising records ($6 million in one day, plus another $4 million, hilariously, on Guy Fawkes Day) but the mirror Paul held up to the modern Republican Party. When his fellow candidates denounced big government, Paul was there to remind them that President Bush and the G.O.P. Congress had shattered spending records and exploded the deficit. When they hailed freedom, Paul asked why they all supported the Patriot Act and other expansions of executive power. And when they called themselves conservatives, Paul asked what was so conservative about sending thousands of young Americans to try to transform the Middle East.

In some ways, Paul is a throwback to the frugal and isolationist wing of the old Republican Party, the fuddy-duddy GOP of Robert Taft and Calvin Coolidge. His fiscal policies evoke the idealistic Republican revolutionaries who seized control of Congress in 1994; he wants to abolish the IRS, the Departments of Homeland Security, Education and Energy, and most of the federal government. He refuses to vote for unbalanced budgets, and he has opposed spending taxpayer dollars on Congressional Medals of Honor, even for Rosa Parks or Pope John Paul II. Typically, his campaign has reported no debts, and still has more than $5 million in the bank. Meanwhile, Paul's foreign policies evoke candidate George W. Bush's call for a "humbler foreign policy" in 2000, although Paul goes much further; not only did he oppose U.S. involvement in Iraq, Kosovo and the war on drugs, he opposes U.S. involvement in the United Nations and NATO.

Under Bush's leadership, of course, the Republican Party has been anything but frugal and anything but isolationist. The congressional Republican revolutionaries seemed to lose their zeal for shrinking the federal government once they controlled it, which is one reason voters expelled them from power in 2006. And these days, it's usually Democrats who call for a humbler foreign policy. Paul's leave-us-alone libertarianism hasn't fit in with a party anxious to read our e-mail, improve our values, assert American power abroad and subsidize friendly industries at home. The party's recent mix of "national greatness" neoconservatives, evangelical theoconservatives and K Street careerists has had many goals, but leaving people alone hasn't been one of them. That's why Paul was the one getting booed at G.O.P. debates. And that's one reason why Paul's fervent followers were banned from the activist Republican website RedState.

In fairness, though, another reason RedState's directors got tired of the Paulistas was that so many of them seemed  what's the polite word?  nuts. Paul's supporters aren't all black-helicopter paranoiacs, but the black-helicopter paranoiacs sure do support Ron Paul. The controversy over a few racist articles in his old newsletters was probably overblown; there's no evidence that Paul himself was ever a racist. But he is an extremist  partly in the Barry Goldwater extremism-in-defense-of-liberty-is-no-vice sense of the word, but also in the wacky let's-relitigate-the-currency-debates-of-the-1820s sense of the word. The late William F. Buckley wanted conservatives to stand athwart history yelling stop; Paul seems to want to slam history into reverse. The guy genuinely wants to abolish the Federal Reserve and start circulating gold again.

Still, even if you set aside Paul's kookier ideas, there just doesn't seem to be a road to the White House for any candidate who opposes the war in Iraq as well as higher taxes, the war on drugs as well as higher spending, restrictions on privacy as well as restrictions on guns. That's a real "freedom agenda," a true assault on big government, and while it clearly spoke to some angry dudes with high-speed web connections and time on their hands, it's just as clearly not where America stands today. Paul didn't have a lot of company on the House floor when he rose recently to complain about government overreach in the investigation of the disgraced former New York governor Eliot Spitzer, who resigned after revelations that he had been a customer of a high-end prostitution ring.

But even if Paul's ideological purity is never going to get him to the White House, it does help illuminate the impurities  and sometimes the hypocrisies  of today's Republicans, just as Ralph Nader can do for the Democrats. The G.O.P. candidates all claimed to defend taxpayers, but Paul was the only one who refused to accept a taxpayer-funded pension or taxpayer-funded junkets. The candidates all talked about shrinking big government, but Paul was the only one who included the Pentagon and NSA wiretaps and petroleum subsidies in his definition. Bush's approval ratings have been abysmal for years, but Paul was the only Republican who really campaigned for change.

And in doing so Paul illustrated what was so striking about the Republican race. The leading candidates had all strayed from Bush and current orthodoxy in the past  Rudy Giuliani on abortion and gay rights, John McCain on tax cuts, torture, health care and campaign finance, Mitt Romney on just about everything. But while Paul was getting attacked every time he called for a new direction, the rest spent the primaries minimizing and renouncing their previous departures, implicitly promising four more years of Bushism. McCain is lucky he has some time to craft a new message, because that's not where America stands today, either.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1724358,00.html?cnn=yes
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Why Ron Paul Scares the GOP
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
There used to be an organization for people who believed in a truly limited government  limited taxes, limited spending, limited interference in individual lives and limited intervention in foreign affairs. That organization was known as the Republican Party. But the only one of those beliefs that still motivates the G.O.P. establishment is limited taxes.  In 2008, people who still hold all of them joined the Ron Paul Revolution.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1724358,00.html?cnn=yes

Not so much... 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:36:34 PM »
In 2008, people who still hold all of them joined the Ron Paul Revolution.

No.  No I didn't.

You guys act like Ron Paul is the first Constitutionalist to run for president.  Have you never heard of the Const. Party? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 01:44:05 PM »
Fistful, there are a LOT of libertarian-minded folks who wouldn't willingly get within miles of the Constitution Party, because of the heavily religious overtones...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »
Ron who?  cheesy

Here, the Paulians have gone back to their basements after failing to get a job in the skills-required Northeast, and the local leader of them was arrested for failing to pay child support "in protest" for years. They're now facing prison.

It's gotten much nicer around here since their idiocy fell on its face in a spray of chee-tohs and tinfoil.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 01:52:10 PM »
Fistful, there are a LOT of libertarian-minded folks who wouldn't willingly get within miles of the Constitution Party, because of the heavily religious overtones...

That is the main reason I wouldn't join up with them.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »

Yeah, I know.  That turns me off a little bit, too.  Even so, the "heavily religious overtones" are more talk than anything else. 

Derek Zeanah

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »

Yeah, I know.  That turns me off a little bit, too.  Even so, the "heavily religious overtones" are more talk than anything else. 
Well, the religion turned me off as well.  Just so ya know.  Smiley

johnster999

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:47:40 PM »
...and while it clearly spoke to some angry dudes with high-speed web connections and time on their hands, it's just as clearly not where America stands today

I think that pretty well covers it.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 02:56:53 PM »
Sigh.

More Ron Paul bashing.

He might not have been the perfect candidate, but I think he was better than the rest of them. It's truly sad he didn't get fair media coverage.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:06 PM »

Quoted for truth.  If it weren't for the whole "Thou shalt worship no other God but MY God - and don't even THINK about worshipping NO God!" thing, they might be okay.  Maybe.  I pretty much stopped looking at their platform when I hit THAT brick wall, so I can't say for sure.

IMO, they can't really be a true "Constitution Party" if they're willing to so casually sacrifice the First Amendment on the altar of their own presumed-correct religious beliefs.  angry

erictank

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 03:01:17 PM »
Sigh.

More Ron Paul bashing.

Don'cha know, that's what all the COOL kids do!  rolleyes

He might not have been the perfect candidate, but I think he was better than the rest of them. It's truly sad he didn't get fair media coverage.

Not sure such a thing exists, myself.  Agreed that, despite his problems, he was head and shoulders above any of the other candidates who ran this time.  Such temerity, obviously, could NOT be tolerated... undecided

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »
I'll still vote for Paul over McCain, even if it means being called a basement-dwelling, cheetoh-munching, poll-spammer daily for the rest of the year.  I've been called much worse things, and for causes much less meaningful.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »
Excellent article.

I'm surprised Time Magazine published it.  I left them many years ago because they were too leftist, especially regarding gun control.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 06:06:30 PM »
The congressional Republican revolutionaries seemed to lose their zeal for shrinking the federal government once they controlled it, which is one reason voters expelled them from power in 2006.
This is the MOST significant single sentence in the article.

I wonder if anyone from the GOP leadership read and understood it . . .

Nah . . .

That's why they're The Stupid Party.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »

Well, the religion turned me off as well.  Just so ya know.  Smiley

Years ago, (2000 maybe) when I was very interested in the party, I was reading their platform and attending their events and such.  And I remember being annoyed at the way it seemed to be a rather obviously Christian party.  (And in case anyone doesn't know by now, I am one of those annoying Bible-thumpers.)  Anyhoo, I remember thinking to myself that a "Constitution Party," should be a party where anyone who loves the country and its Constitution and founding principles should feel welcome, even if they happen to be patriotic, conservative Muslims.  (Or moderate Muslims, if that makes more sense.) 

If it weren't for the whole "Thou shalt worship no other God but MY God - and don't even THINK about worshipping NO God!" thing, they might be okay.  Maybe.  I pretty much stopped looking at their platform when I hit THAT brick wall, so I can't say for sure.

IMO, they can't really be a true "Constitution Party" if they're willing to so casually sacrifice the First Amendment on the altar of their own presumed-correct religious beliefs.

Maybe I should read their platform again.  What are you talking about? 

Anyway, Ron Paul, the Constitution Party, I don't see how Ron Paul is any better.  They're both loopy about foreign policy. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 10:43:49 PM »
Sigh.

More Ron Paul bashing.

+1.

Though there's no such thing as a perfect candidate.

A 'perfect candidate' is a version of myself, with all my political views, but handsome, wealthy, and extremely charismatic, running for office. (or of YOURself, depending). Such a person is not likely to exist.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LAK

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 02:43:04 AM »
You guys act like Ron Paul is the first Constitutionalist to run for president.  Have you never heard of the Const. Party?
I have; a long time ago. If they had fronted a candidate who had stated explicitly they would do what Ron Paul has, and their record of position had held the same intent for organizations like the UN, the Federal Reserve Banking system etc - I could have easily have cast a vote for them.

Incidently; how much money did the CP candidate raise?

--------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 05:27:20 AM »
RP does not scare the GOP.

The current GOP leadership is not scared of him because he has been proven ineffectual.  He wasn't even a speed bump in the way of any other republican candidate.

For my part, RP is a disappointment.  The man has many truly conservative policies, but chose to play up the blame-America-first card to win the votes of the blame-America loons.

Someone willing to smear his own country to advance his own cause is not worthy of the office of POTUS.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »
I think the first sentence of the OP is wrong from the start.  The Republican party was never solely about limited govt.  It was just that they became dominated by that mindset in the 80's and that was the philosophy that carried them into the majority (not to mention a bunch of Dem blunders).  By the time the Repubs had the majority for a few years, the leaders who got them there either left office or retired (Phil Gramm and Dick Armey and Newt).  The guys that stayed started getting greedy or ambitious and thought they could drop some of that stuff, make it a Bit Tent party and hold the majority forever.  They ended up falling flat on their face as they started looking like the Dems did before they were kicked out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

taurusowner

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 11:31:22 AM »
Straight from the Constitution Party's website under "Platform"

Religious Freedom

Article I of the Bill of Rights reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Our Constitution grants no authority to the federal government either to grant or deny the religious expressions of the people in any place. Both the First and Tenth Amendments forbid such tyranny.

We call upon all branches of government to cease their attacks on the religious liberties of the people and the states, regardless of the forum in which these liberties are exercised.

We assert that any form of taxation on churches and other religious organizations is a direct and dangerous step toward state control of the church. Such intrusion is prohibited by the Constitution and must be halted.

We assert that private organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America, can determine their own membership, volunteers, and employment based on their oaths and creeds.

Care to point out where is says you have to be a Christian?

I've never even heard of the Constitution Party until today.  But I just read their whole platform, and I think I agree with every single thing they say.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 11:37:07 AM »
I think the Paulians need to face facts, that their messiah's grating whine, bizarre Carter-redux foreign policy and nutty economic theory, along with loon supporters... set back any "libertarian" cause by more than half a century, if not destroyed it entirely.

In terms of political viability, they aimed the cannon at their own deck and fired every round on board till their entire cause foundered before pointing and laughing onlookers.

Good goin', guys!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 02:30:58 PM »
Straight from the Constitution Party's website under "Platform"

Religious Freedom

Article I of the Bill of Rights reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Our Constitution grants no authority to the federal government either to grant or deny the religious expressions of the people in any place. Both the First and Tenth Amendments forbid such tyranny.

We call upon all branches of government to cease their attacks on the religious liberties of the people and the states, regardless of the forum in which these liberties are exercised.

We assert that any form of taxation on churches and other religious organizations is a direct and dangerous step toward state control of the church. Such intrusion is prohibited by the Constitution and must be halted.

We assert that private organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America, can determine their own membership, volunteers, and employment based on their oaths and creeds.

Care to point out where is says you have to be a Christian?

I've never even heard of the Constitution Party until today.  But I just read their whole platform, and I think I agree with every single thing they say.

Hmmm.  That appears to be SIGNIFICANTLY different from what I remember reading about them.  Of course, that was a number of years ago - might have been Y2K, come to think of it, and I haven't looked since then.  There were comments to the effect of, "Restoring this great country to it's Christian basis, as intended by the Founding Fathers," or some such.  What I saw was a clear violation of the First Amendment.

If they no longer advocate such nonsense, then perhaps they're different now.  Have they been "reinvented", or something? <shrug> 

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »
It is not Ron Paul, but Ron Paul voters that scare this GOPer.

They are lazy, slovenly, do not pick up trash in their yards and do not put away their garbage toter in a timely manner.  Every RP voter that I have met or have seen a Ron Paul sign in their front lawn has been a slob, a big slob.

I am terrified that they believe that freedom is either license or an excuse to go supine on their mom's couch in the basement and eat cheetoes all day while others work.

The cure for Ron Paulism is an alarm clock so they can get jobs and have Dad give them a garbage bag and stop living in *expletive deleted*it.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »
Paulistas scare the poop out of me, too.

However, let's be considerate here, I *think* even Oleg is of that persuasion.  (From what I see on his Livejournal blog...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"