Author Topic: Dubya hit the nail on the head!  (Read 22684 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Dubya hit the nail on the head!
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:34:56 AM »
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Bush suggests Obama wants 'appeasement' of terrorists
Posted: 08:48 AM ET

From CNN White House Correspondent Ed Henry

JERUSALEM (CNN)  In a particularly sharp blast from halfway around the world, President Bush suggested Thursday that Sen. Barack Obama and other Democrats are in favor of "appeasement" of terrorists in the same way U.S. leaders appeased Nazis in the run-up to World War II.

"Some seem to believe we should negotiate with terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along," said Bush, in what White House aides privately acknowledged was a reference to calls by Obama and other Democrats for the U.S. president to sit down for talks with leaders like Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

"We have heard this foolish delusion before," Bush said in remarks to the Israeli Knesset. "As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American Senator declared: 'Lord, if only I could have talked to Hitler, all of this might have been avoided.' We have an obligation to call this what it is  the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."

The remarks seemed to be a not-so-subtle attempt to continue to raise doubts about Obama with Jewish-Americans. Those doubts were already stoked by Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, when he recently charged that Obama is the favored candidate of the terror group Hamas.

Obama last week called the Hamas allegation a "smear" and the Democratic presidential frontrunner also quickly lashed out Thursday at Bush's speech in Israel in a prepared statement released to CNN by his campaign.

"It is sad that President Bush would use a speech to the Knesset on the 6Oth anniversary of Israel's independence to launch a false political attack," said Obama. "It is time to turn the page on eight years of policies that have strengthened Iran and failed to secure America or our ally Israel.

I especially like this Obama quote,
It is time to turn the page on eight years of policies that have strengthened Iran and failed to secure America or our ally Israel

What say you?

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Dubya hit the nail on the head!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 04:37:24 AM »
Wow. Actually correct.

You can't appease evil. It never works.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:57:03 AM »
Then why have American presidents been promoting Israel/Palestinian talks for decades?   Double standard?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 04:58:13 AM »
Then why have American presidents been promoting Israel/Palestinian talks for decades?   Double standard?

Did you even read the article?

"Some seem to believe we should negotiate with terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along," said Bush, in what White House aides privately acknowledged was a reference to calls by Obama and other Democrats for the U.S. president to sit down for talks with leaders like Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

I guess not.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 05:06:52 AM »
The speech was to Israel's Knesset.

In a speech to Israel's Knesset, Bush said that "some seem to believe we should negotiate with terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along ... We have an obligation to call this what it is - the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."

The Whitehouse then went on to DENY the remark was referencing Obama.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:11:36 AM »

The Whitehouse then went on to DENY the remark was referencing Obama.

If the shoe fits...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:04:35 AM »
I actually agree on the Israel/Palestinian stuff.  It seems like Every president over the last 50 years has tried to push some sort of peace initiative over there.  I think it would be refreshing to see a President just say "screw it, let them figure it out." 

Hasn't Obama been talking about face to face talks with Iran?  I am not sure if he said that about North Korea like Kerry did.  I agree with Bush on that.  Iran hasn't really given us any reason to think they have changed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 07:24:45 AM »
Iran hasn't really given us any reason to think they have changed.

Why is it, or should it be, our duty to police Iran's behaviour?  Our friend, Israel, is quite capable of defending herself.  In fact, we're the ones to always step in and restrain Israel-at the same time we deride 'appeasement'.   We've already started a 'war' in Iraq we can't finish, why is it necessary now to pick a fight with Iran? 

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 08:44:05 AM »
We've already started a 'war' in Iraq we can't finish
Spoken like a true Democrat.

Why is it, or should it be, our duty to police Iran's behaviour
Because if we don't do it now we will be policing up dead bodies after the nuke goes off on our turf. 

Hypothetical, yes but has Iran given us any other hints that they can live in harmony with us non-believers?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:55:08 AM »

Because if we don't do it now we will be policing up dead bodies after the nuke goes off on our turf. 

Hypothetical, yes but has Iran given us any other hints that they can live in harmony with us non-believers?

Yes. I'd rather not have daily fallout reports as part of weather channel, thanks, as well as constant updates from the next, and original definition "ground zero".

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:18:49 AM »

What would be your definition of finish?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:06:18 AM »
This speech has been overdue since shortly after 9-11.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 10:20:19 AM »

Typical brainwashed kneejerk rightwing response.  I've never been a Democrat, never voted Democrat.  I've been registered Republican and voted Republican in every election since 1968.  Except 92 when I voted third party.

More empty fearmongering.  If it's that serious destroy Tehran this afternoon.  Otherwise stop the ridiculous macho posing.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
More empty fearmongering.  If it's that serious destroy Tehran this afternoon.  Otherwise stop the posing.

You want to destroy hundreds of thousands of innocent families? That's you.

Me, I want to destroy the crazed leader and his atomic toys, which are way out in the middle of nowhere.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 10:21:58 AM »
You don't have to be affiliated with the Democratic party to be a Democrat.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 10:22:38 AM »

What would be your definition of finish?

An end to American casualties by hostile forces, followed by a drawdown of American military.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
You don't have to be affiliated with the Democratic party to be a Democrat.

That's right.  When you've been a registered Republican, voted Republican, and actively worked for the election of Republicans for the last 40 years, you're really a Democrat.  rolleyes

Where'd that cheshire cat go?  He was just here......................

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »
If it's that serious destroy Tehran this afternoon
Tempting!  Very tempting. 

Ok, so I was wrong, you speak like a Democrat but claim Republican.  Nuff said on that issue.

Appologize for the personal attack if that's how it was perceived. 

Now, lets move on.........

An end to American casualties by hostile forces, followed by a drawdown of American military
Just as soon as Iraq can stand on it's own two feet.  Anything less than that is a waste of manpower and resources.  The 2nd Iraq war was long overdue in my opinion.  Should of happened the 1st time Saddam went back on his word after the end of the 1st Iraq war. 

Either way, its about time Dubya spoke up on this issue.  Like Headless Thompson Gunner said "This speech has been overdue since shortly after 9-11".

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
That's right.  When you've been a registered Republican, voted Republican, and actively worked for the election of Republicans for the last 40 years, you're really a Democrat.

Leave John McCain out of this.  grin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »

Typical brainwashed kneejerk rightwing response.  I've never been a Democrat, never voted Democrat.  I've been registered Republican and voted Republican in every election since 1968.  Except 92 when I voted third party.

Did GHWB & the Republicans try to ruin your daughter's wedding, too?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 12:59:24 PM »
Why is it, or should it be, our duty to police Iran's behaviour? 

Dumb question.

Bad people across the ocean CAN and WILL hurt us.  (And you don't have to be a Democrat to speak like a true Democrat.) 

That's right.  When you've been a registered Republican, voted Republican, and actively worked for the election of Republicans for the last 40 years, you're really a Democrat.

Leave John McCain out of this.  grin

Priceless. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 01:02:30 PM »
The fundamental thing to realize is that nuclear deterrence only works if a leader does not want their country destroyed.

Iran's president is insane and would likely use it the moment he got it, because he thinks it's his divine mission.

And if you want to see how bad that could be, if used anywhere in any Western country, smuggled in or whatever, go watch the movie "When the Wind Blows" from the 80's.

Iran cannot be allowed to have the bomb. Period. They WILL use it.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 01:47:29 PM »
Isn't it amazing how fast the Dem's in the Senate and Congress are responding to Bush's comments.  I think he hit a nerve. cheesy

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 03:06:38 PM »
The fundamental thing to realize is that nuclear deterrence only works if a leader does not want their country destroyed.

Iran's president is insane and would likely use it the moment he got it, because he thinks it's his divine mission.

I'm not sure he is as much 'in charge' as people would like us to believe.

A lot of analysts claim that the ayatollahs are actually in charge.

Iran benefits monetarily from their leader mouthing off about this nonsense, because when he does, the oil price rises.

They do not benefit in any way from war with the US.

They do however benefit from maintaining constant tension, enough for prices to rise, not enough for the US and Israel to smack them down.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 04:14:44 PM »
Bad people across the ocean CAN and WILL hurt us.  (And you don't have to be a Democrat to speak like a true Democrat.) 

Iran was responsible for 9/11.............how?

You're really not that naive and gullible, are you?   

Or are you just doing the usual rightwing fearmongering again?