Author Topic: Dubya hit the nail on the head!  (Read 22685 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Dubya hit the nail on the head!
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2008, 02:23:09 PM »
How do you explain the consistent polls showing something like 80 percent of Iraqis wanting American forces gone from the country then? All phoney?

Sorry, but the Maliki government isn't representative of its people, and it has no choice at this point-relying on the decisions of a government that would likely be killed if it kicked out the U.S. does not make sense as a means of assessing Iraqi opinion.

Rather, look at what happens when the government that is inviting U.S. troops to stay tries to fight: mutiny by the thousands, and a disgraceful defeat at the hands of Al Sadr's rag tag militia.  That is the sign of an unpopular crony regime, not the foundations of a new rome.

Show me these polls.  Polls can be made to say anything.  Try talking to the people in the streets.

Maliki is doing better but still doesn't control the government like he should.  There are lot of things going on behind the scenes even the politicians don't get to see.

Sure.  I have posted several of these to you before on this same subject.  I am not aware of one single source, including the U.S. military, claiming that there is anything approaching a majority in Iraq that supports U.S. troops remaining in the country.  If you know of one, I'd certainly like to see it.

Here are just a few of the polls showing around 80 percent support for a withdrawal of US forces from Iraq:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601721.html
A strong majority of Iraqis want U.S.-led military forces to immediately withdraw from the country, saying their swift departure would make Iraq more secure and decrease sectarian violence, according to new polls by the State Department and independent researchers.

Here's a list that keeps getting updated of all the polls done in Iraq-see if you can find anything that remotely approaches support for the U.S. presence in Iraq there:

http://www.iraqanalysis.org/INFO/55

Some of the relevant polls documented there:

About 70% of Iraqis believe security has deteriorated in the area covered by the US military "surge" of the past six months.

Suggests that 'the overall mood in Iraq is as negative as it has been since the US-led invasion in 2003'. Only 29% think things will get better in the next year, compared to 64% two years ago. Nearly 60% see attacks on US-led forces as justified.

95 per cent of respondents believe the security situation has deteriorated since the arrival of US forces

Nearly 66 per cent of respondents thought violence would decrease if US forces were to leave

Thirty-eight per cent were also "unconfident" that Nuri al-Maliki, the Iraqi prime minister, would be able to improve the situation in Iraq and nearly 90 per cent described the government's implementation of its commitments and promises as very poor

36.5 per cent said they felt the official security forces were unable to keep control in the country

"A new WPO poll of the Iraqi public finds that seven in ten Iraqis want U.S.-led forces to commit to withdraw within a year. An overwhelming majority believes that the U.S. military presence in Iraq is provoking more conflict than it is preventing and there is growing confidence in the Iraqi army.

This is also a good one, linked on the Iraqanalysis site:

http://www.brookings.edu/saban/iraq-index.aspx

See page 50 of this report:  http://www.brookings.edu/saban/~/media/Files/Centers/Saban/Iraq%20Index/index20080424.pdf
QUESTION: DO YOU SUPPORT THE PRESENEC OF COALITION FORCES IN IRAQ?
Strongly/Somewhat Support Strongly/Somewhat Oppose
FEBRUARY 2008 26% 73%
DETAIL:
Shia 23% 77%
Sunni 5% 95%

Apparently, there is no source anywhere that even alleges Iraqi support for a continued U.S. occupation of Iraq. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
Rather, look at what happens when the government that is inviting U.S. troops to stay tries to fight: mutiny by the thousands, and a disgraceful defeat at the hands of Al Sadr's rag tag militia.  That is the sign of an unpopular crony regime, not the foundations of a new rome.

Sadr is the one making concessions to Maliki & Co.  That indicates to me that Sadr got the worse of the exchange.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2008, 08:05:04 PM »
Apparently, there is no source anywhere that even alleges Iraqi support for a continued U.S. occupation of Iraq.

I will give you a hundred thousand plus.  Talk to any service member who actually has gone out an spoken with the general population.  They will tell you a different story.  I have been out and I have talked to everyday business men and women and most are grateful we came and are still here.  I also have had the honor to speak with on a regular basis with former officers of the Iraqi Army.  One of them is a General.

Polls don't do it for me.  Talking to the people face to face does it for me.

For another source from this site query some questions to Phantom Warrior.  He has had th honor of spending time over here also.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2008, 03:25:49 AM »

Sadr is the one making concessions to Maliki & Co.  That indicates to me that Sadr got the worse of the exchange.

Maliki starts a battle claiming he's going to wipe out Al Sadr....and then ends up pulling back with nothing, and that's a win for Maliki?

Al Sadr didn't have people fleeing his army by the thousands; Maliki did.  Al Sadr wasn't the one who initiated the battle claiming he was going to wipe the other out; Maliki did that.  And Al Sadr was the one who gained from the truce-now the Badr corps is at risk of disbandment as a means of attempting to disarm the JAM.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2008, 03:27:17 AM »

I will give you a hundred thousand plus.  Talk to any service member who actually has gone out an spoken with the general population.  They will tell you a different story.  I have been out and I have talked to everyday business men and women and most are grateful we came and are still here.  I also have had the honor to speak with on a regular basis with former officers of the Iraqi Army.  One of them is a General.

For another source from this site query some questions to Phantom Warrior.  He has had th honor of spending time over here also.

While that may be your personal experience with Iraqis, it is clear that they are telling a different story to pollsters and it is equally clear that very few parts of the country are safe for Americans to roam and encounter locals on their own terms.  I expect that the circumstances under which Iraqis get to meet Americans has much to do with the sentiments you are seeing.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2008, 03:29:26 AM »
I can safely say there are more places than not that we can travel fairly safely.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2008, 05:20:27 AM »
The remark was ostensibly aimed at Jimmy Carter.  Who also tried to negotiate with terrorists..

Obama jumped on it because he wants to negotiate with terrorists and extremists, too.  He apparently found the shoe nice and comfy, like a Ferragamo loafer.

The only person he mentioned was a Senator that wanted to talk to Hitler.  I presume he meant Joe Kennedy.  Edit:  He quoted William Borah, not Joseph Kennedy.  Conservatives have been making comments like Bush's since 9-11, back when Obama was an unknown. 

Obama COMPLETELY screwed up on this one.  Instead of whining about what Bush said, and denying that he would negotiate, the smart move would have been to immediately agree with Bush's statement, to show that the remark did not apply to him.  Unfortunately for Obama, it may be the case that other Democrats rushed in to defend him, thereby forcing him into his current, weak, position on the matter.  Who knows? 

Every Dem I've ever seen always does that. They run in front of the target, then declare that the person was shooting at them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2008, 05:31:25 AM »
While that may be your personal experience with Iraqis, it is clear that they are telling a different story to pollsters

Is it anything like a "majority" of Americans telling pollsters they favor gun control and handgun bans? I would like to see the questions asked to review them for inflection and skewing, and would also be interested in the population dynamics and physical distribution of the polls. If as Shootinstudent claims, very few parts of the country are safe, then how are pollsters getting an adequate distribution sample?

Polls are too often skewed by a vocal minority (on any side of an issue -- how many times have we here gone to Internet polls on gun control to turn them around?) and ignored by the general majority. I screen my calls at home just so I don't have to be bothered by people like pollsters. I can't but think your average Iraqi would like to avoid telemarketers too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2008, 08:10:14 AM »
I was just at the USMC base at Twentynine Palms, CA, interviewing infantrymen as to their missions, experiences, etc. about a 7-month deployment that just ended.

Unfortunately for me, I was not able to get data, scenarios, etc. that will be useful for modeling & simulation efforts.

Why?

Because they fired not a single round at the enemy and the enemy fired not a single round at them in the 7 months they were there.

Bad for me, but good for them and good for Iraq.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2008, 12:57:45 PM »
If all the polls demonstrating that Iraqis do not want Americans there were phoney, you would expect that at least some polls would say the opposite.  But there are no such indicators, and as far as I'm aware, it is not even the U.S. government's position that this is true.  No study of any kind has reached the conclusion that a majority of Iraqis support the continued U.S. presence. 

So while polls can be tweaked and information slanted in its presentation, it does not make sense that there is no organization or party to this conflict that has any research whatsoever to support the conclusion that most Iraqis want America there.

As for safety...not getting shot at every day while roaming around heavily armed is not the same thing as being safe for Americans. 

Is there anywhere in Iraq besides Kurdistan where Americans can just wander around freely, without an army to protect them, and feel safe?  If so, I'd like to hear of it.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2008, 03:57:19 PM »
Better yet, volunteer your time and fly over.  See for yourself as alot of us had first hand.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2008, 03:58:33 PM »

Having received many profound "Thank You" moments during my time over there, I too, am leery of pollsters.

Of course, if we all listen to our friend SS, we should've reinstated Saddam and let the Ba'ath Party run amok again.

SS, you never cease to amaze me, you know that?   rolleyes

I agree with LennyJoe - perhaps you'd have the same intestinal fortitude as some of the rest of us and travel there yourself?  I think we could all chip in and get you a ticket... 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
Or maybe enlist.  I'd gladly earmark my taxes to pay for your trip, your salary, combat pay and PX privileges.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »
i think hes more peace corps material
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »
Just stay away from D8 bulldozers.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »

Having received many profound "Thank You" moments during my time over there, I too, am leery of pollsters.

Of course, if we all listen to our friend SS, we should've reinstated Saddam and let the Ba'ath Party run amok again.

SS, you never cease to amaze me, you know that?   rolleyes

I agree with LennyJoe - perhaps you'd have the same intestinal fortitude as some of the rest of us and travel there yourself?  I think we could all chip in and get you a ticket... 

Wait a second here:

On the one hand, it's mostly safe and lots of Iraqis want Americans there, but on the other, you're daring me to go myself if I have the "same intestinal fortitude" as the rest of you all?

What is the need for intestinal fortitude to go if it's all well and good?

I believe that was my original point here-that most Iraqis don't want Americans there, and that it's not safe for Americans in Iraq.  You seem to agree with that position when you dare me to go on your dime, so I'm not sure what our disagreement is on this subject.

As for Saddam, and that comment-I'm a supporter of Democracy in Iraq.  Let them vote on the question in a national referendum, and see what the results tell us, instead of relying on crony parliamentarians who can't get their own armies to fight for an opinion as to what the Iraqis want.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2008, 05:53:21 PM »
Just stay away from D8 bulldozers.

Apparently staying away from the country altogether is the wise thing to do if you are interested in being safe.  That would be my point here.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2008, 06:26:01 PM »

With an attitude like yours, if you enlist, Iraq will be the least of your worries.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2008, 06:28:53 PM »

With an attitude like yours, if you enlist, Iraq will be the least of your worries.

And what would the "attitude like mine" be exactly?

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2008, 02:31:48 AM »
when you dare me to go on your dime
It's not a dare.  Its more of a go and see for yourself.  You seem to be so stuck on poll results than reality. 

All I'm saying is take a ride, visit the country and find out for yourself as we have.  Sure there's probably areas that aren't safe for Americans over there.  Just like there's areas in NY that's not safe for me or you to be in. 

I've been down that road before, listening to news, reading papers ect and formulating an opinion.  The time I spent in the military changed that thinking process.  After visiting several different countries and experiencing them first hand, I now know how good we Americans have here and how wrong the papers, news and internet chatter is -vs- reality on the ground.

Try it sometime. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2008, 04:34:47 AM »
My years in LE were instructional regarding what is printed in the newspapers. (News wasn't so all consuming on TV in those days.)  Anyway, it was always amusing to read the papers about incidents that I or others were involved in what happened on my shifts.  I used to remark that if I hadn't actually been there, or read the official reports, I'd not know what really happened.  I even read person to person quotes attributed to me when I hadn't even known a reporter was around.

Now, I have not had the privilege of serving in A'stan or Iraq, but I have several friends who are retired military who get first hand accounts from peers who have connections with folks over there.  When I was working, I had several clients with family members in harms way.  My point is that the news that was shared with me did not square up much with what is being reported.  The media is looking for bad news.  Good news doesn't sell, nor does it square with the agenda of those who run the media.

As for polls.  That information is only as good as the pollster who asks the questions, the way the question is asked, and the intent of the person selected who answers the poll.

My additional point.  None of the information that is being broadcast or printed is very accurate, nor does it portray much of the reality that is Iraq.

It is never easy to surmount a thousand plus years of tribal feudalism and sectarian tribalism.  I agree that American constitutional republicanism may not be easily digested by people who have a deep culture that does not understand our ways.  I look at it from the standpoint that we are giving them an opportunity to morph into some sort of society that respects human dignity and creates a free form of government that allows that dignity to be transcendent.
That SS, is a noble task in my mind.  It would also help if the rest of the Middle Eastern world would begin to pressure Iran to spend more time cleaning its own house, rather than creating, financing and exporting mischief in the area.  If that were so, the Iraqi's and Afghani's might better be able to find a level of government that works for them that respects their human dignity without having to worry about external pressures from anyone, including us.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »
when you dare me to go on your dime
It's not a dare.  Its more of a go and see for yourself.  You seem to be so stuck on poll results than reality. 

All I'm saying is take a ride, visit the country and find out for yourself as we have.  Sure there's probably areas that aren't safe for Americans over there.  Just like there's areas in NY that's not safe for me or you to be in. 

I've been down that road before, listening to news, reading papers ect and formulating an opinion.  The time I spent in the military changed that thinking process.  After visiting several different countries and experiencing them first hand, I now know how good we Americans have here and how wrong the papers, news and internet chatter is -vs- reality on the ground.

Try it sometime. 

I am stuck on documentary evidence to support claims about what the Iraqi public wants or does not want, yes.  I consider that to be reasonable-imagine if we were to form opinions only based on the anecdotes of people who traveled there.  That would include reporters, diplomats, a significant number of Iranians, etc etc....that is why saying "well I went and saw, therefore, what I say must be true" does not add anything to the answer we want.

Surely, if there is anyone in the world, including the United States military, that believes Iraqis mostly want America there....there should be at least one serious documentary study to confirm that belief.  But there isn't one-no counter polls, no study, no attempt at such a study whatsoever....just anecdotes on this forum that conflict with what the Defense Department is itself saying about Iraqi public opinion.

I'm not sure why it is you're telling me that I need to "see how good America is"-what I'm saying here is that Iraq is unsafe and a disaster, not that America is a bad place to be...indeed, having seen a fair number of places on this earth besides America, I do believe it's a good place to be.  But that doesn't mean that Iraqis want American troops in their country, and that is the issue I'm pointing to here.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »

That SS, is a noble task in my mind.  It would also help if the rest of the Middle Eastern world would begin to pressure Iran to spend more time cleaning its own house, rather than creating, financing and exporting mischief in the area.  If that were so, the Iraqi's and Afghani's might better be able to find a level of government that works for them that respects their human dignity without having to worry about external pressures from anyone, including us.

I agree with this, which is why I support letting the Iraqis decide if they want U.S. troops there or not via a referendum.  It's their choice to make, because it's their country, and I think all the evidence available, of any kind that even pretends to be an evaluation of the Iraqi public as a whole, says that they do not want America there.  As far as I'm aware, there is not a single think tank, organ of the U.S. government, U.S. official, or any similar supporter of the Iraq war who claims that a majority of Iraqis support the U.S. military presence. 

If they actually do, how come not one single entity has come up with something approaching proof of that claim?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »
You want to destroy hundreds of thousands of innocent families? That's you.

Me, I want to destroy the crazed leader and his atomic toys, which are way out in the middle of nowhere.

You and me both. A significant portion of the Iranians have a warm place in their hearts for America. I wish them no harm and long lives.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »
I will give you a hundred thousand plus.  Talk to any service member who actually has gone out an spoken with the general population.  They will tell you a different story.  I have been out and I have talked to everyday business men and women and most are grateful we came and are still here.  I also have had the honor to speak with on a regular basis with former officers of the Iraqi Army.  One of them is a General

Hey - I'm on your side...

But is it possible that the folks who you are speaking with might have their opinions temporarily modified to fit your expectations because you're part of the group with the guns?

I spent a lot of time in the mid-east in the early 80's. Tunisia, Egypt, Lebanon, Israel and in my experience I met not one local who had anything bad to say about the USA. Not one. Wierd considering the times.

For the longest time I wrote that off to the people being just everyday folk with the same likes, dislikes, daily joys, family issues, work issues as everyone else in the word. It was the governments that were forked up and causing all the hate and discontent. I still believe that to some extent but my confidence that that is really the case is flagging as each day goes by.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online