Poll

Who do you think will win the election?

McCain
22 (34.4%)
Obama
42 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Who do you think will win?  (Read 20453 times)

nobody's_hero

• Fringe (Constitutionalist)
Re: Who do you think will win?
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »
I propose a toast to the future 'moonshiners, rum-runners, and bootleggers' of the firearms world.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2008, 02:52:39 PM »
I propose a toast to the future 'moonshiners, rum-runners, and bootleggers' of the firearms world.

Yeah, that'll last five seconds.

ATF agents raid Gilbert gun shop
Nick R. Martin, Tribune

Federal agents raided a Gilbert gun store on Wednesday, seizing hundreds of high-powered and military-style weapons in the process, though authorities were silent as to why.

Dozens of guns could be seen being organized and moved by agents with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives during the afternoon outside the Cavalry Arms Corp. near Cooper and Guadalupe roads.

ATF agents spent hours executing a federal search warrant there, but agency spokesman Thomas Mangan declined to say what prompted the seizure of what he called a “large quantity” of weapons.

“By no means is that any indication of any type of guilt,” Mangan said.

Still, every gun that was at the business on Wednesday was confiscated in the raid, he said.

nobody's_hero

• Fringe (Constitutionalist)
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2008, 04:49:26 PM »
Yeah, that'll last five seconds.

Well, I never said that they'd be without their share of defeats, just that, I admire them, in a way.

*Salute*

It is a bit exhilarating, though—the fate of our liberties resting on the outcome of a fight between a few savage thugs, and the folks who don't work in the capitol building.

Anyway, I'm going to go grab a beer and mow the lawn for what will likely be the last time before winter sets in here. Thanks, Capone. ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:56:07 PM by nobody's_hero »

Teknoid

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »
Let's see... what was the question?

Oh, yeah! Who do I think will win?

In my state, McCain. The Marxist doesn't fool enough people here. As for myself, I was going to vote Libertarian. I don't care much for either major candidate. All the prospects I thought were worth a crap lost in the primaries.
Because "he who shall not be middle named" scares me so much, I'll vote for the lesser of two losers this time. It will be a first for me. I'm an Independent who hasn't voted for either major party since Reagan. I'll be out of town on election day, so I'm voting tomorrow. For McCain.

Sadly, I fear too much of the country is lacking in both intelligence, and common sense. They treat selecting their government like it was a new "American Idol". Forget past performance, proposed policy, and demonstrated tendencies. Vote for the glib talker!

I think for at least the next two years, we're going to see trouble that will make the present economic situation look like a boom. In short. It's Obama, in a squeaker. We're hosed.

BLC

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 03:25:11 PM »
Obama unfortunately has it locked up...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2008, 03:49:42 PM »

I have to disagree with that opinion. Here in Minnesota, the race it very, very close. When a Democrat is struggling in this place, he's hurtin' and hurtin' bad.

I think Barry will have his arse handed to him. I'm not wild about McCain, and may not vote for him but the Obama camp is scared here.

Recall, if you will (or are old enough to do so), that the only state McGovern got in '72 was Minnesota. Things haven't changed much in 36 years. Think back to Mondale/Ferraro.

In my community, I have yet to see an Obama yard sign, while McCain/Palin signs abound at homes and businesses. There are a few (very few!) Obama bumper stickers but the only sign is in front of the Democrat campaign office here.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
I have to disagree with that opinion. Here in Minnesota, the race it very, very close. When a Democrat is struggling in this place, he's hurtin' and hurtin' bad.

I think Barry will have his arse handed to him. I'm not wild about McCain, and may not vote for him but the Obama camp is scared here.

Recall, if you will (or are old enough to do so), that the only state McGovern got in '72 was Minnesota. Things haven't changed much in 36 years. Think back to Mondale/Ferraro.

In my community, I have yet to see an Obama yard sign, while McCain/Palin signs abound at homes and businesses. There are a few (very few!) Obama bumper stickers but the only sign is in front of the Democrat campaign office here.

jb

Kansas city is the exact opposite.  4x8 Obama billboards spring up overnight in peoples front yards along busy streets.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:08:42 PM by Nick1911 »

ronnyreagan

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2008, 04:27:35 PM »
I have to disagree with that opinion. Here in Minnesota, the race it very, very close.

I know it's good to be optimistic and all, but it's also good to live in reality and I wouldn't put any money on Obama losing MN. The latest Minnesota poll (from Big Ten) puts Obama at 57, McCain 38. Now there is a relatively large margin of error (4%), but that's still probably a bit more accurate than yard signs and bumper stickers.

Each week it seems like McCain is conceding another state to focus somewhere else, I'm not really sure what his winning electoral map would even look like anymore. Anyone know what states their plan includes (assuming there is one)?
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

zahc

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »
Kansas city is the exact opposite.

Dallas as well. Here around richardson there are tons of Obama bumper stickers and yard signs.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
These folks claim to be the most accurate pollsters from the 2004 election.  They are showing the race to be essentially neck-and-neck.  Personally, I think it's hogwash because every other poll out there save the AP's, show The One with a firm lead.  But I'll post it because it might give some comfort to those whistling-past-the-graveyard types.

IBD/TIPP Tracking Poll: Day Eleven
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008

McCain has cut into Obama's lead for a second day and is now just 1.1 points behind. The spread was 3.7 Wednesday and 6.0 Tuesday. The Republican is making headway with middle- and working- class voters, and has surged 10 points in two days among those earning between $30,000 and $75,000. He has also gone from an 11-point deficit to a 9-point lead among Catholics.

View Results From Prior Days

About IBD/TIPP: An analysis of Final Certified Results for the 2004 election showed IBD's polling partner, TIPP, was the most accurate pollster of the campaign season. Learn more at www.TIPPonline.com.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »
I don't know. The incident with Joe might have scared a lot of people.

The attacks on Joe for daring to question, and Obama's smirky laughing about Joe, "How many plumbers do you know make that kind of money?" came off as completely elitist.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2008, 07:48:59 PM »
I don't know. The incident with Joe might have scared a lot of people.

The attacks on Joe for daring to question, and Obama's smirky laughing about Joe, "How many plumbers do you know make that kind of money?" came off as completely elitist.

Seriously, Joe may have saved this election.  He'd make a better running mate than Palin.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2008, 12:07:41 AM »
Obama is leading at 7.5% on average now. The plumber hasn't saved anything whatever.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2008, 12:51:12 AM »
Obama is leading at 7.5% on average now. The plumber hasn't saved anything whatever.

Hasn't saved anything ....yet.

It is looking very bleak for traditional American values.  Confucious's "interesting times" are ahead for this country. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2008, 08:16:47 AM »
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gkM0JvRRUl81LuDA_P2t_goU2kGAD93VU2200

AP presidential poll: Race tightens in final weeks

By LIZ SIDOTI – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The presidential race tightened after the final debate, with John McCain gaining among whites and people earning less than $50,000, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll that shows McCain and Barack Obama essentially running even among likely voters in the election homestretch.

The poll, which found Obama at 44 percent and McCain at 43 percent, supports what some Republicans and Democrats privately have said in recent days: that the race narrowed after the third debate as GOP-leaning voters drifted home to their party and McCain's "Joe the plumber" analogy struck a chord.

Three weeks ago, an AP-GfK survey found that Obama had surged to a seven-point lead over McCain, lifted by voters who thought the Democrat was better suited to lead the nation through its sudden economic crisis.

The contest is still volatile, and the split among voters is apparent less than two weeks before Election Day.

"I trust McCain more, and I do feel that he has more experience in government than Obama. I don't think Obama has been around long enough," said Angela Decker, 44, of La Porte, Ind.

But Karen Judd, 58, of Middleton, Wis., said, "Obama certainly has sufficient qualifications." She said any positive feelings about McCain evaporated with "the outright lying" in TV ads and his choice of running mate Sarah Palin, who "doesn't have the correct skills."

The new AP-GfK head-to-head result is a departure from some, but not all, recent national polls.

Obama and McCain were essentially tied among likely voters in the latest George Washington University Battleground Poll, conducted by Republican strategist Ed Goeas and Democratic pollster Celinda Lake. In other surveys focusing on likely voters, a Washington Post-ABC News poll and a Wall Street Journal-NBC News survey have Obama up by 11 points, and a poll by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center has him leading by 14.

Polls are snapshots of highly fluid campaigns. In this case, there is a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points; that means Obama could be ahead by as many as 8 points or down by as many as 6. There are many reasons why polls differ, including methods of estimating likely voters and the wording of questions.

Charles Franklin, a University of Wisconsin political science professor and polling authority, said variation between polls occurs, in part, because pollsters interview random samples of people.

"If they all agree, somebody would be doing something terribly wrong," he said of polls. But he also said that surveys generally fall within a few points of each other, adding, "When you get much beyond that, there's something to explain."

The AP-GfK survey included interviews with a nationally representative random sample totaling 1,101 adults, including 931 registered voters and 800 adults deemed likely to vote. For the entire sample, the survey showed Obama ahead 47 percent to 37 percent. He was up by five points among all registered voters, including the likely voters.

A significant number of the interviews were conducted by dialing a randomly selected sample of cell phone numbers, and thus this poll had a chance to reach voters who were excluded from some other polls.

It was taken over five days from Thursday through Monday, starting the night after the candidates' final debate and ending the day after former Secretary of State Colin Powell broke with the Republican Party to endorse Obama.

McCain's strong showing is partly attributable to his strong debate performance; Thursday was his best night of the survey. Obama's best night was Sunday, hours after the Powell announcement, and the full impact of that endorsement may not have been captured in any surveys yet. Future polling could show whether either of those was merely a support "bounce" or something more lasting.

During their final debate, a feisty McCain repeatedly forced Obama to defend his record, comments and associations. He also used the story of a voter whom the Democrat had met in Ohio, "Joe the Plumber," to argue that Obama's tax plan would be bad for working class voters.

"I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody," Obama told the man with the last name of Wurzelbacher, who had asked Obama whether his plan to increase taxes on those earning more than $250,000 a year would impede his ability to buy the plumbing company where he works.

On Wednesday, McCain's campaign unveiled a new TV ad that features that Obama quote, and shows different people saying: "I'm Joe the Plumber." A man asks: "Obama wants my sweat to pay for his trillion dollars in new spending?"

Since McCain has seized on that line of argument, he has picked up support among white, married people and non-college educated whites, the poll shows, while widening his advantage among white men. Black voters still overwhelmingly support Obama.

The Republican also has improved his rating for handling the economy and the financial crisis. Nearly half of likely voters think their taxes will rise under an Obama administration compared with a third who say McCain would raise their taxes.

Since the last AP-GfK survey in late September, McCain also has:

_Posted big gains among likely voters earning under $50,000 a year; he now trails Obama by just 4 percentage points compared with 26 earlier.

_Surged among rural voters; he has an 18-point advantage, up from 4.

_Doubled his advantage among whites who haven't finished college and now leads by 20 points. McCain and Obama are running about even among white college graduates, no change from earlier.

_Made modest gains among whites of both genders, now leading by 22 points among white men and by 7 among white women.

_Improved slightly among whites who are married, now with a 24-point lead.

_Narrowed a gap among unmarried whites, though he still trails by 8 points.

McCain has cut into Obama's advantage on the questions of whom voters trust to handle the economy and the financial crisis. On both, the Democrat now leads by just 6 points, compared with 15 in the previous survey.

Obama still has a larger advantage on other economic measures, with 44 percent saying they think the economy will have improved a year from now if he is elected compared with 34 percent for McCain.

Intensity has increased among McCain's supporters.

A month ago, Obama had more strong supporters than McCain did. Now, the number of excited supporters is about even.

Eight of 10 Democrats are supporting Obama, while nine in 10 Republicans are backing McCain. Independents are about evenly split.

Some 24 percent of likely voters were deemed still persuadable, meaning they were either undecided or said they might switch candidates. Those up-for-grabs voters came about equally from the three categories: undecideds, McCain supporters and Obama backers.

Said John Ormesher, 67, of Dandridge, Tenn.: "I've got respect for them but that's the extent of it. I don't have a whole lot of affinity toward either one of them. They're both part of the same political mess."
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2008, 09:29:20 AM »
I think it is much closer than the MSM wants to admit, and slowly creeping McCain's way.

OTOH, McCain seems to be doing everything he can to lose.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2008, 08:30:34 PM »
I think Obama will win. McCain is practically trying to lose, and never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

If you consider how well the WOSD is going, and how much better a class of human being gun owners are than drug users, I would say the feds won't win the war on guns, should guns ever be banned. Look at how well the war on guns is going in the parts of the country where they practically are banned, or in other countries where they are completely banned outright.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2008, 08:42:06 PM »
I suppose most of you who think Obama is a shoe in will not vote now, or vote Libertarian to make a statement??
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »
It won't be the American people.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2008, 01:49:10 AM »
I suppose most of you who think Obama is a shoe in will not vote now, or vote Libertarian to make a statement??

I will be voting, and not for Obama.   As an aside, my wife was wishing for a "None of the Above" choice on the ballot today.  (Oregon has only vote-by-fraud mail-in ballots.  They came in the mail a few days ago.)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

jad0110

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »
Either Obama is going to win by a fair margin, or McCain will squeak out a victory.  I'm not sure which way it will go, though I pray it goes McCain's way.  Though I admit holding my nose when casting my early ballot last week.

Quote from: taurusowner on October 19, 2008, 01:27:13 PM
I see so much love for Obama everywhere I go, maybe that's just because I live in Michigan.  I just can't shake the feeling that a lot of these whackos really are going to show up and vote for him.  I'm young, but I've never seen this kind of devotion for a candidate before.

taurusowner, it is a cult of personality.   I don't recall ever seeing this sort of thing in the USA, and it truly frightens me.
The only places that I know of this occuring, the results have been uniformly bad.

That is what scares me most about Obama.  And judging by some of the totally moronic things he has been saying, Obama seems to know it.  He could just about stand in front of a crowd and say "doo doo" and "pee pee" and they'd still cheer and faint for him.  His ties to nutjob William Aires doesn't seem to bother anyone.  Makes me wonder what would be happening right now if McCain had proven ties to an abortion clinic bomber.  Anyway, I fear that his first year or so in office he will be able to say and do ANYTHING he wants.  The one saving grace we have is that though he sounds good, he doesn't strike me as being all that bright.  But you know, that can be dangerous too.

Though many here may not agree with him, I heard Rush Limbaugh suggest on his show that this country may well have to suffer through another Jimmy Carter in order to get a Ronald Reagan.  Certainly, there are people here who don't like Reagan either, but it does illustrate a point.  Once Obama effs everything up in his first term, we may well have a shot at someone much better.  Assuming people can be snapped out of the daze the "messiah" seems to hold them under.

Would you rather bury your guns and lose your freedom or die free? The time to bury is the time to use. Which I hope is years off if ever.  Obama isn't going to take our guns, he is one man. A large government that represents a culture of fear and sheepdom will. Obama is merely the representative of all of the wrong that is here in this country. The man is nothing more than a idealist dupe.

The reason some people choose to bury some of their guns is that they can turn in the "decoys" and live to fight alongside a resistance movement another day.  Not that there would be a single, well organized resistance.  If it comes to that (God forbid), I envision dozens of small groups spread all over the country.  One thing in our favor to consider is that if congress doesn't have the guts to face an insurgency on the other side of the globe, they probably won't have the guts to face one in their own back yard either.

I do know personally a number of people who have looked me square in the eye and said they would NOT turn them in.  Trust me, I got a little chill, as I fully understood they were speaking the truth.  Their eyes told me more than their words that they were speaking the truth.

This may be why we may never see outright confiscation, instead our rights will be incrementally eroded, a little bit at a time.  Here is Ric Edelman’s account of the Boiling Frog Syndrome: "If you throw a frog into a pot of boiling water, he’ll jump out. But if you place a frog into a pot of lukewarm water and slowly turn up the heat, it will boil to death."

As a side note, we as a country have not arrived at socialism's decrepid doorstep overnight, you know.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 09:18:24 PM by jad0110 »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2008, 04:13:35 PM »
All the notions about another revolution in America are amusing, and sad.  Amusing because the spirit that would lead Americans to revolt has long since been bred out of the population.  When the subject is broached, it's just armchair warriors talking loud for the most part.  It's sad for the same reason.
IMO, when this nation falls, it will be 65-75 years before anything remotely free rises from the ashes.  It won't happen overnight.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2008, 07:41:31 PM »
All the notions about another revolution in America are amusing, and sad.  Amusing because the spirit that would lead Americans to revolt has long since been bred out of the population.  When the subject is broached, it's just armchair warriors talking loud for the most part.  It's sad for the same reason.
IMO, when this nation falls, it will be 65-75 years before anything remotely free rises from the ashes.  It won't happen overnight.

Exactly the spirit our Masters are counting on.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2008, 08:02:17 PM »
Exactly the spirit our Masters are counting on.

No, that's the reality. People only revolt when they have little to lose.

As it is now, people have families, money, possessions, houses, vehicles, and all the trappings of modern life, food when they want it, climate control, life is pretty good.

They would lose ALL of that if they "revolted". So they won't.