Author Topic: Limbaugh: "The Baron of Bombast's"?  (Read 20529 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Limbaugh: "The Baron of Bombast's"?
« on: October 14, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
Rather than interfere with the NFL thread about Limbaugh, I thought I'd address Chuck Dye's "Bombastic" comment about Rush Limbaugh here.

I won't argue that Rush is always right, because I don't always agree with what he says. What I do think, though, is that he's extremely good at what he does.

I've heard Laura Ingram, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Mark Levine, G. Gordon Liddy, and all of the other conservative talk radio hosts, as well as the liberal talk show hosts. None of them has the ability to engage an audience the way Rush does. In fact, I really didn't appreciate how good Rush is at his job until I listened to the others.

It's not easy making politics entertaining while simultaneously being serious. The other talk show hosts can be very, very dull. That's a big part of the appeal of Limbaugh.

Here in Milwaukee we have Mark Belling, a conservative talk show host who occasionally fills in for Limbaugh. Belling is very, very good, and for the same reasons.

When someone is very good at his job--whether it's a talk show host, a mason, a photographer, or something else--he makes doing the job look effortless. It's only when you watch or hear someone who's not good at his job that you realize how hard it is.

And that's my defense of Rush Limbaugh. So there. ;)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Limbaugh: "The Baron of Bombast's"?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:46:43 PM »
Right on. I am never ashamed to say that I listen to Limbaugh because he is entertaining and funny as can be, some days. Don't always agree with him and in fact he annoys me sometimes. That said some of my earliest memories are hearing Rush on summer afternoons as my mom listened in the kitchen. I'm a bona fide Rush Baby.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
My earliest memory of listening to Rush was commuting to junior college and catching a few minutes of his show before the radio signal got lost.  I had grown up conservative, but had never really heard that properly voiced before.  It was great.

I probably agree with him more than not.  Most of my disagreements are with points made or not made about subjects.  He also gets pretty full of himself at times and loves spending long monologues talking about critics discussing himself.  :)  He is entertaining though which is his job.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
Right on. I am never ashamed to say that I listen to Limbaugh because he is entertaining and funny as can be, some days. Don't always agree with him and in fact he annoys me sometimes. That said some of my earliest memories are hearing Rush on summer afternoons as my mom listened in the kitchen. I'm a bona fide Rush Baby.

I spent some of my latter-teen years listening to him too.  He is a huge part of conservative culture, all by himself.

Was he the first of his kind, or did he just refine conservative talk radio?  I'm young enough I don't really remember what it was like before he came on the scene.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »
I've heard Laura Ingram, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Mark Levine, G. Gordon Liddy, and all of the other conservative talk radio hosts, as well as the liberal talk show hosts. None of them has the ability to engage an audience the way Rush does. In fact, I really didn't appreciate how good Rush is at his job until I listened to the others.

Rush has this self-effacing sense of overblown grandeur that just makes you appreciate him that much more.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:54:41 PM »
Listening to him right now as a matter of fact.
I've been listening to him for 16-17 years off and on. It took me a while to catch on to his methodology for annoying the idiot liberals but eers since I enjoy it when he is deliberately baiting the left and they fall for it.
I also appreciate the Shanklin parody songs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:30:49 PM »
There was no talk radio before Limbaugh.  He launched the genre.  AM radio was on the way out.  FM had the market on music and sports.  As a technology AM was in its sunset years.  Along comes Limbaugh who chooses the AM band because there was no competition.  AM was looking for programming and Limbaugh delivered.  He was dismissed as a bombastic fool for what he said but more importantly he was ignored because he was on the AM ban.  Out of sight, out of mind.  Once it was determined there was indeed a market for conservative talk, it was "Kattie bar the door".  Limbaugh demonstrated one fact so-called left hasn't learned:  talk radio has to be entertaining first and foremost.  No entertainment, no audience. 

I doubt you could find any radio talk jock of substance who would not emphasize Limbaugh's contribution.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
As a fan of The Maha-Rushie, I have no problem with Chuck's epithet.  Rush does use bombast rather liberally.  ;)  But if he was trying to cast aspersions on Limbaugh, let us pay him no mind.  We've wasted enough time trying to explain things to folks from Rio Linda. 

While we're on the subject, it's funny how the regressives alternate between "he's just an entertainer," and "HE'S A HATE-MONGERING RACIST WHO THREATENS THE VERY FABRIC OF AMERICA!!!11eleventy-one!!"

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:17:27 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »
When someone is very good at his job--whether it's a talk show host, a mason, a photographer, or something else--he makes doing the job look effortless. It's only when you watch or hear someone who's not good at his job that you realize how hard it is.

This ^^^.  Rush is the reigning grandmaster of his craft.  Talent, hard work, and experience.  Credentials be damned.

Even so, he sometimes bores me with repetition of basic conservative/classical liberal principles.  But, then I remember that a lot of people haven't spent the time I have thinking, reading, & writing political philosophy.  Rush gets new listeners every day who are learning while being entertained.

My favorite bits are when he is lib-baiting by using their own logic against them.  Oh, how that makes them howl!

Another who is a grand master of their craft is Oprah.  I can't stomach more than five minutes of her, but there is no doubt in my mind she is tops in hen-circle daytime entertainment.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 10:11:08 PM »

I agree with you, with one exception- Sean Hannity.  He may not be quite as entertaining as Rush, but his personality is likeable enough to make up for it.

I don't always agree with Rush, but he is incredibly smart and very entertaining.  I listen to him almost daily.

I remember a comment he made once about the then-new "Air America" liberal radio network.  It was struggling at the time ( I have no idea how it's doing now or if it even still exists).  He said the reason conservative talk radio thrives and liberal talk radio struggles is because conservatives are more likely to have a car, with a radio, that takes them to and from a job every day.  Not sure how true that is but it's damn funny.  =D

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 06:39:42 AM »
I'm no fan of Limbaugh...esp. after he urged his audience to keep RINO's like McCain and Snow in office after the "Contract With America" was tanked by the Senate in the '90's....  :mad:

That said, I livid about the vitriol being shown to conservative radio hosts by the MSM and other organizations...including the US Gov't.  Apparently the First Amendment no longer applies to political speech....at least, not certain political speech.  And, as it increases against the conservative "celebrities", regular "Joe Conservative" will continue to feel more alienated by their own country.

If you've watched the anti-abortion movement; you've seen that, as the legal means for expression were curttailed, more "aggressive" protesters like Eric Rudolph started coming out of the woodwork. I'm afraid that may be what happens if people aren't allowed to express opposing views to the Hopey-Changey Administration....  =(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 08:17:54 PM »
I spent some of my latter-teen years listening to him too.  He is a huge part of conservative culture, all by himself.

Was he the first of his kind, or did he just refine conservative talk radio?  I'm young enough I don't really remember what it was like before he came on the scene.
As far as I know, he was the first of his kind on a national level.  There may have been local guys, but few were willing to push the limits with non-politically correct commentary. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 03:32:02 PM »
There werre otheres in Local markets Neil Boortz claims he has been doing it for forty years (I think). Rysh brought it mainstream.
I enjoy Boortz, Levin, Rush and a little bit of Hannity. Savage bores me and Beck just makes my teeth hurt (not his message but his style).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 08:11:07 PM »
I'm a big Rush fan (not that bizarre rock band with the annoying lead singer), and he does his job well.  That guy has turned aggravating and flustering The Left into a higher art form.

That said, I can only take so much of his show.  It's the same old politics as usual, every day.   Glenn Beck is my talk show of choice.  He has a clue on current events.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »
The little Boortz I've heard puts him at the top of my personal talk radio list. Rush is good, Hannity is waaayyyyyyy too repetitive, and Beck just kind of goes off on random non-sensical tangents every once in a while. Heard a little Savage, but some of his views are :rolleyes:. Never heard Levin that I recall.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

nraforlife

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »
Early on I enjoyed Rush because he was spot on consistent in his busting of liberal myths. Clearly a job which needed doing. In recent years though he has become nothing more than a sounding board for the neocon faction of the Republican Party. Statism branded Repub or branded Demo is STILL Statism. Rush could have had an incredible impact in awakening America on inconsistent aspects of the 9/11 Official Version, the questionable justifications for the Iraq/Afgan Wars, the security state imposed on America these past 8 years, Open Borders, the destructiveness of globalisation, Republican budget busting, BHO's criminal usurpation of the Presidency,..............the list of foregone opportunities is endless BUT he chose not to.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 11:05:48 AM »
I want pancakes. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »
Mark Levin's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 11:25:10 AM »
Oh God not another troofer...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 11:36:01 AM »
I thought this thread was about pancakes.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 11:50:37 AM »
I like pancakes.

I wish Limbaugh would conform to my peculiar views on pancakes.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »
Sorry... the only true breakfast food is french toast. Pancakes are for folks who follow the herd... >:D
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
Mark Levin's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Indeed. My wife couldn't STAND listening to him for a few months for that reason. (She loves him now).

I particularly like Mark Levin. He screams at the stupidity so I don't have to. It's cathartic.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »
Indeed. My wife couldn't STAND listening to him for a few months for that reason. (She loves him now).

I particularly like Mark Levin. He screams at the stupidity so I don't have to. It's cathartic.

If ML is cathartic, savage is manic-depressive.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 03:59:07 PM »

Mark Levin's voice and delivery style annoy my ears and bruise my psyche.  His philosophy is right on the money though. I'd rather read him, than listen to him. I'd like to see his brainpower combined with Dennis Miller or Dennis Prager or Michael Medved's delivery style.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"