Author Topic: Iraq War over  (Read 23990 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Iraq War over
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:49:07 PM »
Amen, now it is time to bail on the other POS country we are stuck in right now.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »
Civil War in 5.....4......3......

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »
Over?   Is it, really?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 01:57:44 PM »
Our "official" military mission in the country, other than Embassy duty, has ended.

State department is now running the show with their employees and contractors.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
Our "official" military mission in the country, other than Embassy duty, has ended.

State department is now running the show with their employees and contractors.

Yeah... all what? 10-20,000 of them?  :angel:

I don't trust NBC or Ted Koppel farther than I could throw them, but the segment I saw where he rode along in the 6 vehicle/helicopter motorcade in Baghdad just to take two Civillian State Department contractors engaged in literacy development to a meeting with Iraqi officials was kind of...  [tinfoil]

Although, both, one especially, were pretty darn hawt. I wouldn't want to see them fall into the hands of AQ or some jihadis.  >:D

The mission outside Basra (I think?) that had these big anti-mortar canopies, then these apartment/office buildings built underneath them made of stacked connex boxes looked like something out of Firefly/Serenity.
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »
Yeah, we're still stuck in those 3rd world quagmires of Germany, Japan, and Korea. Wow, making someplace into a functional nation is hard. How about we just spend all our money kill a bunch of ourselves and then leave? I'll file this under snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »
"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

...unless you go a third time, and then ...yeah...what??

It's been "Mission Accomplished", then the "End Of Military Combat Mission in Iraq", now "Withdrawal of US military personnel". All with the same result: WE'RE STILL THERE in the thousands.

May I ask just how many "contractors" of the expensive kind are going in now???

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »
Hey French the Iraqi's wanted us out.  We got out.  If the South Korean government told us to get out we would get out.  They asked us to move away from Seoul and we did.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »
Hey French the Iraqi's wanted us out.  We got out.  If the South Korean government told us to get out we would get out.  They asked us to move away from Seoul and we did.

That is a TELLING difference between the American "Empire" and any other.

Too bad the rest of the world that likes to protest and burn our flags doesn't pay attention to it. It would be interesting if an RP presidency did happen, and we did 'take our ball and go home' in a bunch of these places.

I wonder how many folks would change their minds after it was too late?  =D
I promise not to duck.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:00:27 PM »
^If wishes were fences and empty bases.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »
That is a TELLING difference between the American "Empire" and any other.

Yeah, I thought an empire was supposed to profit from its conquests  ???

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 07:22:06 PM »

True enough -- but the primary reason was Obama mucked up trying to establishment a status of forces agreement with the Iraqi government.
OTOH .... maybe they just didn't trust him....... :-X
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 10:54:59 PM »
True enough -- but the primary reason was Obama mucked up trying to establishment a status of forces agreement with the Iraqi government.
OTOH .... maybe they just didn't trust him....... :-X

So the Iraqis wanted us there while Bush was in charge but not after???

The Iraqis have never wanted Ameican troops stationed there.  They just weren't capable of forcing us to leave.  The expiration of the Status of forces agreement allowed them to get what they always wanted.

The infrastructure and civil society have been decimated by the war.  Years of occupation did not rebuild them.

Iraqis have fewer services, more violence, and more sectarian tension today than before the war.  Their government will now proceed to cozy up even more closely with Iran. 

Is there any light that could cause this to reflect a win?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »

Iraqis have fewer services, more violence, and more sectarian tension today than before the war.  Their government will now proceed to cozy up even more closely with Iran. 

Only  if you omit the violence committed by Hussein.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:43 PM »
Only  if you omit the violence committed by Hussein.

That would be including Hussein
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 11:13:24 PM »
That would be including Hussein

Somehow unlikely, what with the prison cleansing, the suppression of various uprising in the mid-90's, etc.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 11:20:40 PM »
Interesting that the day after we leave the Sunni VP has a warrant issued for his arrest.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 11:21:35 PM »
Iraqis have fewer services...

DeSelby, you made this point months ago, and I presented concrete evidence that your statement was false. Apparently you're just shooting from the hip once again with this. If that's the case, why should I believe the rest of what you say?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 11:23:45 PM »
DeSelby, you made this point months ago, and I presented concrete evidence that your statement was false. Apparently you're just shooting from the hip once again with this. If that's the case, why should I believe the rest of what you say?

Yeah, no - You're recalling a discussion about life expectancies, which, btw, you misinterpreted - this is about raw numbers of people killed. 

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »
So the Iraqis wanted us there while Bush was in charge but not after???

The Iraqis have never wanted Ameican troops stationed there.  They just weren't capable of forcing us to leave.  The expiration of the Status of forces agreement allowed them to get what they always wanted.

The infrastructure and civil society have been decimated by the war.  Years of occupation did not rebuild them.

Is there any light that could cause this to reflect a win?

And, this has to do with Obama's failure to get an agreement to the status of forces .... exactly, how? [tinfoil] [popcorn]

I don't think DeSelby has ever stopped drinking kool aid long enough to figure out there are many other liquids available that provide better nourishment and have fewer nasty after-effects..... [tinfoil]

If I'd known there were not going to be any WMDs there when we started the Iraq War I wouldn't have thought it smart to go there either, but it seems to me we've had enough contractors over there long enough to give the people a good chance in so far as infrastructure is concerned. 
I am far less sanguine about how things will work out with regards to Iran.

The Iraqis have never wanted Ameican troops stationed there.

Yeah and I wish we'd only send them to places which had sent us an invite in the first place...... [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

As far as a "win" is concerned, if anything Obama has if anything made more certain than otherwise that this would be a loss........ >:D :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »
Wait, wait.

De Selby used the words 'civil society' in this contest?

Are you implying there was a civil society in a Ba'athist state?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 11:55:49 PM »
Who the **** knows what DeSelby was implying, or stating.  I think he was describing conditions on the Planet Romulus.....but that's just my cynical nature.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 11:58:56 PM »
I thought that the US military has been using the same Status of Forces Agreement for decades.  Is the proposed one with Iraq any different than previous versions, and is that difference directly attributable to the President?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 12:18:59 AM »
Yeah, no - You're recalling a discussion about life expectancies, which, btw, you misinterpreted - this is about raw numbers of people killed.

DeSelby, I posted data about electrical power, and all sorts of things. Do a search.