Author Topic: Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander?  (Read 12184 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander?
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:46:25 AM »
This is getting kind of interesting to watch.
At the Capitol in OKC there is a 10 Comandments monument on the grounds.
Been a bit of a fight to keep it there.

Now a group of Satanists want to erect their own monument in keeping with the whole "no establishment" thing.

The local Book of Face crowd is pretty up in arms over it.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/01/06/n-y-group-applies-to-build-satan-statue-at-oklahoma-state-capitol/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
Interesting, I say if they allow Judeo-Christian items, they also need to allow items from other religions, not matter how they disagree with them.

I think they need to erect a statue to honor Gozer The Gozerian.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:01:21 AM »

I would donate a very large sum of money to help get that put up.

All or none, 'em is the rules.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:22:28 AM »
"Think this is ridiculous? We agree!"

BLASPHEMY!

How dare they insult the FSM! 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 12:40:41 PM »
I'm all for them putting up the statue in NY.  There are zero people from this NY group that are actually going to go see the statue they are paying to put up.  It is not a religious statement, it's a bunch of people in NY putting up a statue in 'fly over country', AKA being d***s.  Its publicity, not a religious statement.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »
I'm all for them putting up the statue in NY.  There are zero people from this NY group that are actually going to go see the statue they are paying to put up.  It is not a religious statement, it's a bunch of people in NY putting up a statue in 'fly over country', AKA being d***s.  Its publicity, not a religious statement.

And? Most of the folks who backed the RoboCop statue aren't going to go to Detroit.

Well designed proposed monument, btw. The art geek in me is impressed. I'd definitely want to go see it.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:09:14 PM »
Yeah. I'd throw them a $20.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:21:21 PM »
I knew some Church of Satan folks when I lived in Hanford, CA some years back.

Oddly (or not?) enough, they turned out to be pretty dishonest.

I halfway expect these guys to collect all the money and *poof*, gone.  Yoink, suckers.

And as monuments to Satan go, I guess that wouldn't be a bad one either.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »
I guess I'm the only one that finds it funny that the Satanist's all butthurt because the 10 Commandments are on display.  Shouldn't they just cast as few spells/hexes/curses/sacrificial virgins at the Christians/Jews/Muslims for allowing it and moving on with their lives??

I swear some people have far too much time on their hands and need to find something productive to do.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:06:19 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
When your particular moral code supplies the foundation for an empire like western civilization you too may have a monument on public land.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 06:46:38 AM »
When your particular moral code supplies the foundation for an empire like western civilization you too may have a monument on public land.

Strange, but I always thought that "public land" was the monument to "an empire like western civilization".

And that one of the ways to keep that land public was to keep the government out of religion and religion out of the government.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 08:24:29 AM »
And that one of the ways to keep that land public was to keep the government out of religion and religion out of the government.

stay safe.

Sure thing.

Just one question: which religion is the Ten Commandments "establishing?"

(I could go further and note that the founders wished to avoid choosing one Christian denomination as supreme over all the others, not that the entirety of Christianity was to be suppressed in public life as is the aim now. But since the 10 Commandments isn't even exclusively Christian, I'm failing to see how honoring their importance is "establishing" a religion.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 08:33:44 AM »
Strange, but I always thought that "public land" was the monument to "an empire like western civilization".

stay safe.

He didn't say it was a monument to western civ, he said it was a monument in honor of the Ten Commandments. (Which, by the by, is more properly Jewish than Christian.  ;) )
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »

So, buncha shot Native Americans, surrounded by ripped up treaties?  "Lies and Genocide" is indeed a particular moral code.   =D

(Not that I'm a hippy and think Native Americans were wussy peace-loving hippies prior to the White Dude showing up. Most Native American tribes were pretty blood thirsty killers. Otherwise, they wouldn't have survived against the other blood thirsty killer tribes. I'm just pointing out, said monument is directly opposed to the particular moral code that emptied America of its previous occupants and allowed the current civilization to flourish.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 09:35:56 AM »
So, buncha shot Native Americans, surrounded by ripped up treaties?  "Lies and Genocide" is indeed a particular moral code.   =D

(Not that I'm a hippy and think Native Americans were wussy peace-loving hippies prior to the White Dude showing up. Most Native American tribes were pretty blood thirsty killers. Otherwise, they wouldn't have survived against the other blood thirsty killer tribes. I'm just pointing out, said monument is directly opposed to the particular moral code that emptied America of its previous occupants and allowed the current civilization to flourish.)
Savages don't count.   =D

Was that moral code or was that an overbearing central government full of self serving politicians who were "managing" the territories? 

Your standards of finding what to blame for anything and everything are odd.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 09:41:23 AM »

stay safe.
Did the founders ever say anything about keeping religion out of the government?  I never heard that.  They did want to keep government out of religion, but the reverse is not necessarily true. 

As far as I am concerned, the people of the State of Oklahoma should be able to decide what symbols they want on public land, not some Satanist/Atheists in New York.  Regardless of what courts have said, I don't consider a few religious symbols to be a violation of Religous Freedom.  I find this whole War on the Public Display of Religion by Atheists to be rather offensive.  The lack of religious symbols would seem to go the opposite way and support the religion of Atheism. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »
Let's all just pretend that western civilization happened in a moral and religious vacuum.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »
The other question in my mind is can you really regard Satanism as a separate religion?  It seems to me it wouldn't exist without Christianity and legaly it should just be considered a denomination.  No separate symbols are necessary.   =D

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »
Personally, I'd like to see some appropriately awesome Norse statues there.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »
The other question in my mind is can you really regard Satanism as a separate religion?  It seems to me it wouldn't exist without Christianity and legaly it should just be considered a denomination.  No separate symbols are necessary.   =D

Good point. 

Once you stop believing in Satan, then you don't need God  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
Christianity wouldn't exist without Judaism. Is it a separate religion?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
Western civilization as we know it wouldn't exist without Judaism and Christianity.

Is it separate from its religions?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
Western civilization as we know it wouldn't exist without Judaism and Christianity.

Is it separate from its religions?

Yes
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
Yes

I suspect the surgical removal of religious influence from our civic culture and public sphere will either kill or permanently maim the patient.

Amorality and liberty have never been known to be bedfellows, except in the libertarians fantasy world that has never existed.