Author Topic: Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander?  (Read 12186 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2014, 12:50:28 AM »
On the flip side, how has Satanism, as a religion, shaped our culture?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2014, 01:12:46 AM »
Shoot do you believe the vatican was unaware? The same vatican that pulled german clergy outa asia before pearl harbor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re:
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2014, 07:37:59 AM »
Shoot do you believe the vatican was unaware? The same vatican that pulled german clergy outa asia before pearl harbor

Who said the Vatican was unaware of, well, anything?  ???

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2014, 10:32:34 AM »
and who says Rome is the spokesperson for western civilization? Large swaths of western civilization spent much blood and treasure escaping Romes clutches.

What I oppose is the adopting of the new religion of scientism as the state religion.

Bureaucrats employing "science" and technocrats to do good to us and make us better.

Government is supposed to protect our rights, period.

Holiday displays should be a local issue. Give the local satanists (if there are any) their own spot to put a display up. Tell the carpetbagging satanists from out of town and feds to go pound sand.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »
>Without Christianity, empirical science as we know it would not exist.  Paganism of the various flavors, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. just did not and (as we see proved time & again) still do not have what it takes to foster a culture of empiricism.<

Hmmm...

We can't know WHAT sort of culture we may have gotten from the various Pagan societies, since Christianity steamrollered them

As has been pointed out, Arabs had culture FAR in advance of pretty much anyone else for a long time, methinks even after Islam took root. At the same time frame (the middle ages), Jewish scholars were also far advanced of Europe ("Western Civilization")

Buddhism? Hmmm... that can be argued back and forth. While Thailand (predominantly Buddhist) is monetarily "porrer", the people on the whole seem happier...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »
As has been pointed out, Arabs had culture FAR in advance of pretty much anyone else for a long time, methinks even after Islam took root. At the same time frame (the middle ages), Jewish scholars were also far advanced of Europe ("Western Civilization")

Significantly, both are monotheistic cultures. Hmmmm...

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2014, 10:04:25 AM »

Significantly, both are monotheistic cultures. Hmmmm...

Like I said earlier in this thread regarding presuppositions.

The first step in science requires us believing that the universe is actually knowable and its laws are discoverable.

Judeo/Christian culture (regardless of any particular flavor or sect) lays down the first principles that a rational creator created a discoverable reality governed by laws we are subject to.

It is also this presupposition that seperates the creation from the creator philosophically; making nature something that could be studied, quantified and demystified by observation. Unlike the eastern religions God is not the creation. Even though I'm not as up to speed on the pagan religions I don't think I've ever run across any pagan thought that clearly lays out a cosmology that would lead to similar presuppositions about nature. 

The total divorce of God the creator from nature is actually the genesis of materialism. Instead of God just being separate from nature the existence of the creator God is denied altogether. This leaves a pretty big philosophic hole in modern science as well as functionally un-tethering it from Judea/Christian morals and ethics. Science by consensus will contend we have no natural rights. I think we actually are already there.

Currently we are running on autopilot keeping our cultural framework in place even though we have no real philosophic foundation underneath it all. Once the last vestige of personal liberty is gone we will be where humans always end up, might makes right. All power will be invested in the state and the individual will only exist for the sake of the state.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.