Author Topic: American Journalist #2 Beheaded by ISIS  (Read 12681 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
Re: American Journalist #2 Beheaded by ISIS
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »
Wearing a controversial suit while you continue sounding weak and vacillatory doesn't count? I still say the golf intimidation is a slow burn.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »
Yeah, who woulda thunk the White House sending ISIS that #we'retellingeveryoneyour'eabigmeanie tweet wouldn't work?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 03:08:05 PM »
Yeah, who woulda thunk the White House sending ISIS that #we'retellingeveryoneyour'eabigmeanie tweet wouldn't work?

Well, who could really blame them for getting it wrong? These people are SOOO last century. 14th Century even!

We can just sit back and relax, because they are clearly "on the wrong side of history."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »
Plus there are people going on record that they have been briefing Obama for at least a year now on ISIS and their growing influence.  Just waiting for an attack here in the states that is ISIS related.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
Well, who could really blame them for getting it wrong? These people are SOOO last century. 14th Century even!

We can just sit back and relax, because they are clearly "on the wrong side of history."

I've been thinking about it, and there is a crucial distinction between current events and previous headbutting between the West and Islam/its political entities. The historical conflicts have occurred between competing civilizations.

What we're dealing with today is a war between civilization and barbarism. There is no negotiation with someone for whom the concept of negotiation is a display of weakness. 
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »
What we're dealing with today is a war between civilization and barbarism. There is no negotiation with someone for whom the concept of negotiation is a display of weakness.  

That only happens when the side offering negotiation is offering it from a position of weakness.

The West is weak. It has great military power, but lacks the will to do what needs to be done to defeat these barbarians. They recognize that weakness.

Bin Laden called us a "Paper Tiger" and though he may now be dead, he appears to have been right. We never had the will to do what was needed to defeat his ideology.

Now, we could have done it quickly with overwhelming force and wiping out all who supported him mercilessly. We did not have the will to do that.

Alternatively, we could have done it slowly by wiping out the terrorists as they popped up while preventing as many "non-combatant" deaths as possible and deposing hostile dictators while trying to build an alternative model for the less enthusiastic supporters of Bin Laden's ideology. We clearly lost interest long before that happened and thus do not have the will to do that, either.

So, we will continue to see these Godless bloodthirsty savages (for that is what they are) ignore and even taunt the West- they realize our weakness is not found in our impressive technology and soldiers. It is in the will to use them.

Si vis pacem, para bellum. We have not been preparing for war in this country. Our people have no idea what it takes to fight a war. We have prepared our military capabilities while allowing our national will to be purposely degraded. It will not end well given what will be necessary to solidify that will.  
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

agricola

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »
That only happens when the side offering negotiation is offering it from a position of weakness.

The West is weak. It has great military power, but lacks the will to do what needs to be done to defeat these barbarians. They recognize that weakness.

Bin Laden called us a "Paper Tiger" and though he may now be dead, he appears to have been right. We never had the will to do what was needed to defeat his ideology.

Now, we could have done it quickly with overwhelming force and wiping out all who supported him mercilessly. We did not have the will to do that.

Alternatively, we could have done it slowly by wiping out the terrorists as they popped up while preventing as many "non-combatant" deaths as possible and deposing hostile dictators while trying to build an alternative model for the less enthusiastic supporters of Bin Laden's ideology. We clearly lost interest long before that happened and thus do not have the will to do that, either.

So, we will continue to see these Godless bloodthirsty savages (for that is what they are) ignore and even taunt the West- they realize our weakness is not found in our impressive technology and soldiers. It is in the will to use them.

Si vis pacem, para bellum. We have not been preparing for war in this country. Our people have no idea what it takes to fight a war. We have prepared our military capabilities while allowing our national will to be purposely degraded. It will not end well given what will be necessary to solidify that will.  

The problem with that is that it assumes military power can be used to wipe out people of that particular viewpoint, which really isnt the lesson of history, and comes with its own very considerable moral costs. 

It also tends to ignore the very real reasons why people might feel the need to back the (usually very small) number of true believers in any particular group; for example, it is surely no mere coincidence that the two main areas of Sunni fundamentalist expansion right now (Iraq and Nigeria) are going on in the two of the most corrupt countries on the planet.  It is also perhaps not surprising that they feel able to criticize democracy when the one main Islamist group to actually engage with that process - the MB in Egypt - got overthrown in a coup that resulted in thousands of deaths, with nary a peep out of the West.   Nor is it really that hard to argue in favour of any moral superiority for Western values when the media (at least in this country) have spent much of the past week
talking about the X-Factor, leaked naked pictures of various celebrities and our football clubs spending nearly a billion pounds on players. 

Of course, the real way to defeat such things is to do what we did to get rid of our fundamentalists - to educate as many people as possible, to adopt science in order to actively disprove many erroneous religious-based beliefs, and to encourage social progression towards freer, richer, less corrupt societies.  Of course not everywhere in the West did that to the same level, but the countries which did were the ones that ended up on top. 

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 05:33:14 PM »
we could have...

left Saddam Hussein in charge of Iraq and all this would never have happened  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
Do we have a strategy yet?
Fundraising and golf.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »
The problem with that is that it assumes military power can be used to wipe out people of that particular viewpoint, which really isnt the lesson of history, and comes with its own very considerable moral costs. 
When dealing with hostiles, maybe the west can learn at least a little from the experience of the Romans who suffered mightily during their immensely costly Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Punic Wars.

Oh, wait . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 09:28:46 PM »
There is a lesson in this-fight the sons of bitches tooth and nail to the last breath, send a few to their *expletive deleted*it god along the way if you can.  You don't see Marines being beheaded, just eloi who drive around with coexist stickers on their bumpers.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 09:50:52 PM »
Be more like Israel and damn the collateral damage.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 09:59:57 PM »
Be more like Israel and damn the collateral damage.
I tend to agree.  I think the rules of engagement we have increasingly used since WWII have don't little but put our soldiers in difficult situations.  The military mission is to kill people and destroy stuff.  If they can't do that or we can't stomach that, we shouldn't send them over. 

The other questions are who is ISIS, where are they, and what would we have to do to get assets there to kill them?  If we can't clearly answer those questions, stay home. 

Also, were these the same guys that Obama and John McCain were trying to get us fighting alongside in Syria?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 11:15:36 PM »

Also, were these the same guys that Obama and John McCain were trying to get us fighting alongside in Syria?
Yes. Mccain even posed for pictures with isis/isil leaders that he was helping funnel arms to.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

agricola

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 11:05:17 AM »
When dealing with hostiles, maybe the west can learn at least a little from the experience of the Romans who suffered mightily during their immensely costly Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Punic Wars.

Oh, wait . . .

Those would be the same Romans that spent most of the next hundred years after Carthage fell consuming themselves in civil wars, domestic strife, unimaginable corruption and whatnot? 

As I said, there are costs when you want to do what they did. 
"Make peace, you fools"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »
Those would be the same Romans that spent most of the next hundred years after Carthage fell consuming themselves in civil wars, domestic strife, unimaginable corruption and whatnot?

Well, at least our government has a proven template to follow.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »

As I said, there are costs when you want to do what they did. 
I don't think Carthage's fate was actually the cause of Rome's internal problems . . . but let's see . . . we don't currently have a civil war, but we've already got domestic strife . . . and corruption that would make a Roman blush. It would be nice if we could eliminate an external threat (Rome had Carthage, we have ISIS et.al.). And though we don't have hostile elephants crossing the Alps, we do have a serious border problem at the Rio Grande . . .

Fortunately, we don't have to worry about a dynasty in our leadership; unlike the Romans where the Emperor's office became a family affair, one or a few families won't be running our government.

Oh, wait . . .  :facepalm:

agricola

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
I don't think Carthage's fate was actually the cause of Rome's internal problems . . . but let's see . . . we don't currently have a civil war, but we've already got domestic strife . . . and corruption that would make a Roman blush. It would be nice if we could eliminate an external threat (Rome had Carthage, we have ISIS et.al.). And though we don't have hostile elephants crossing the Alps, we do have a serious border problem at the Rio Grande . . .

Fortunately, we don't have to worry about a dynasty in our leadership; unlike the Romans where the Emperor's office became a family affair, one or a few families won't be running our government.

Oh, wait . . .  :facepalm:

I disagree - all great nations need a great rival or they end up going a bit daft.  To take your own country for example, when the USSR was around you enjoyed considerable progress on a variety of fields and went to the Moon; since then you have developed HBO and elected Presidents that were addicted to women, buffoonery and golf.
"Make peace, you fools"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 06:25:09 PM »
I disagree - all great nations need a great rival or they end up going a bit daft.  To take your own country for example, when the USSR was around you enjoyed considerable progress on a variety of fields and went to the Moon; since then you have developed HBO and elected Presidents that were addicted to women, buffoonery and golf.
Hmmm . . . history may record Obama as a great rival to the USA . . .

It bothers me that when our nation was in its infancy with a total population smaller than NYC today, we found men like Washington and Jefferson to elect as President. Today, with a population of well over 300 million, we get . . .  [barf]

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 06:36:30 PM »
Eventually we will be forced to respond in total disproportion, after say NY, DC, and LA go up in smoke.  There will come a time when we pull out ALL the stops. As in world wide thermonuclear attacks to totally eradicate Islam. Probably include bio and chemical attacks as well. This is what happens when we don't deal with stuff as it arises. I figure a few billion will die, mostly innocents of course, just like in Dresden and Nagasaki- won't make any difference at that point.
 Or we may get lucky- the Russians or Chinese may do our dirty work for us.
 Or we may get really lucky and see them (sunni) do it to them (shia) -the Iranians must be putting in triple time on their pet nuke project right now- their number one nightmare must be that ISIS gets hold of a loaner nuke from Pakistan or somewhere.
 Lot of wild cards out there, this will not be a nice ride no matter what.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »

There's a lot of truth there. And it hurts. Especially the part where we kicked the USSR's ass in the space race, then had to start begging the Russians for rides.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »
Hmmm . . . history may record Obama as a great rival to the USA . . .

It bothers me that when our nation was in its infancy with a total population smaller than NYC today, we found men like Washington and Jefferson to elect as President. Today, with a population of well over 300 million, we get . . .  [barf]

Rise of the special interests and lobbyists.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 12:26:46 AM »
Of course, the real way to defeat such things is to do what we did to get rid of our fundamentalists - to educate as many people as possible, to adopt science in order to actively disprove many erroneous religious-based beliefs, and to encourage social progression towards freer, richer, less corrupt societies.  Of course not everywhere in the West did that to the same level, but the countries which did were the ones that ended up on top. 

And how do you educate people who do not wish to partake of your version of education? How do you lead people who reject any science that contradicts their fundamentalist beliefs as immoral to adopt science?

These people are not (by civilized standards) sane or rational. They are rational only within their own, twisted frame of reality. They are not even thugs -- they're just bloodthirsty savages. The west needs to start taking them out in serious numbers starting yesterday, be cause every day we dawdle they get more arms, bigger arms, and more fresh recruits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 09:29:19 AM »
Rise of the special interests and lobbyists.
And the welfare state.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge