Author Topic: Rash of suicides lately  (Read 1597 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Rash of suicides lately
« on: March 25, 2019, 12:47:55 PM »
Two of the Parkland survivors committed suicide in a space of less than two weeks and now one of the Sandy Hook parents this morning.

Emergency: Second Parkland Suicide in Two Weeks
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2019/03/25/second-parkland-suicide-in-two-weeks-n2543664
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Rash of suicides lately
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:18:40 PM »
When people think that this life is all there is, it can be easy to lose hope. Because our world looks pretty hopeless.*

*(Un-ironically said in the midst of the greatest material wealth for the greatest number our world has ever seen.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 03:48:08 PM »
Two of the Parkland survivors committed suicide in a space of less than two weeks and now one of the Sandy Hook parents this morning.

Emergency: Second Parkland Suicide in Two Weeks
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2019/03/25/second-parkland-suicide-in-two-weeks-n2543664

Statistically speaking, some of these people were going to commit suicide anyways, but I will acknowledge that the shootings were probably a factor.  All the more reasons to figure out how to identify these people BEFORE they rampage.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 04:48:34 PM »
The conspiracy bro's at work tell me that a bunch of the Las Vegas shooting witnesses just happen to have died. Of course, there were a whole lot of witnesses...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 05:08:26 PM »
I don't mean to sound callous, but teenagers + traumatic experience ending in suicide isn't really all that surprising. Nor is parent losing child committing suicide.   =|

The fact that it's making the news is just because the original events were all over the news. You don't see them reporting on all the kids that had other traumatic experiences or the parents that lost a child from cancer or car accident or whatever. 

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 06:39:47 PM »
Suicides are contagious.  People should have been watching for this after the first one. (perhaps they were)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 06:43:50 PM »
Obviously the fault of the NRA...and plastic straws.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »
And what's come to be the definition of "survivor" could be someone there in any of the buildings.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 09:32:59 PM »
And what's come to be the definition of "survivor" could be someone there in any of the buildings.

Or anywhere in the neighborhood on or about the day of the incident.

The shooter went to a McDonald's after he left the school. By the way some news media report these things, anyone in that McDonald's while the shooter was there is a "survivor." [Yes, they did this -- there was an incident in, I think, a McDonald's somewhere, and the local media interviewed people who were in an AutoZone store next door as "survivors" of the McDonald's incident.]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »

*snort* According to one idiot who moved here after the shooting, anyone who was a teacher in Florida at the time of the shooting is a survivor.

We felt sorry for him until we found out that he wasn't actually a teacher at Parkland!

And then the obnoxious bastard skipped out on his bill.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
*snort* According to one idiot who moved here after the shooting, anyone who was a teacher in Florida at the time of the shooting is a survivor.

We felt sorry for him until we found out that he wasn't actually a teacher at Parkland!

And then the obnoxious bastard skipped out on his bill.

Can you put a mechanic's lien on a dog?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 04:02:49 PM »
Can you put a mechanic's lien on a dog?

It was two cats and by that point we knew we weren't going to see the money so getting them out was more cost effective than holding them until he coughed up the money.

Unfortunately, dealing with living, breathing critters that require a certain amount of care doesn't give us a lot of options in these situations. Especially since we can't legally just dump them on the shelter. To do that, we are required to have the owner officially surrender the animals.

He did show up every couple weeks for a few months to make "payments" on his bill, but $20 or so at a time wasn't coming close to the couple grand he owed. The guy was a real moron. The worst part was he wouldn't just send a check by mail. He'd get an Uber to the shop to pay cash and we couldn't figure out how he was so stupid that he couldn't figure out that the money he spent to get a ride could have been used to PAY HIS BILL.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »
It was two cats and by that point we knew we weren't going to see the money so getting them out was more cost effective than holding them until he coughed up the money.

Unfortunately, dealing with living, breathing critters that require a certain amount of care doesn't give us a lot of options in these situations. Especially since we can't legally just dump them on the shelter. To do that, we are required to have the owner officially surrender the animals.

He did show up every couple weeks for a few months to make "payments" on his bill, but $20 or so at a time wasn't coming close to the couple grand he owed. The guy was a real moron. The worst part was he wouldn't just send a check by mail. He'd get an Uber to the shop to pay cash and we couldn't figure out how he was so stupid that he couldn't figure out that the money he spent to get a ride could have been used to PAY HIS BILL.

He wasn't a Parkland teacher, but he was a teacher?   

I should boggle, but now so much anymore. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »
He wasn't a Parkland teacher, but he was a teacher?   

I should boggle, but now so much anymore. 

Yes, and when he first came in to leave his cats while he was searching for a place to live, he sobbed all over Katie about how traumatized he was by the whole thing. So traumatized that he couldn't continue to live in Florida.

He cried on my, too, every damn time he came to visit his stupid cats. Stereotypical overly dramatic gay "queen" and he wore tank tops and short sports shorts, plus he was always sweaty and he wanted to hug.  [barf]

I almost belted him a few times. He was so bad that if you saw him coming before someone else did, you pulled a runner and "disappeared" before he came in. Katie called rank once and skipped into the back before I could say anything. The bitch...