Author Topic: Grades will be adjusted based on skin color  (Read 832 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Grades will be adjusted based on skin color
« on: May 31, 2022, 11:41:03 AM »
    “Oak Park and River Forest High School administrators will require teachers next school year to adjust their classroom grading scales to account for the skin color or ethnicity of its students.” https://t.co/7GLangveTU

— Josh Kraushaar (@HotlineJosh) May 31, 2022
Chicago-area high school reportedly opting for ‘more equitable grading practices’ in order to ‘reflect our core beliefs’
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/31/chicago-area-high-school-reportedly-opting-for-more-equitable-grading-practices-in-order-to-reflect-our-core-beliefs/

They're basically saying Blacks are incapable of competing with Whites and Asians on a level playing field.
Who's the racist here?
Seriously if you're a POC why would you bother working to try to better yourself if the result are the same even if you don't?

More Government dependents coming right up!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Grades will be adjusted based on skin color
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 11:58:57 AM »
Neo-racism
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »
Chicago-area high school reportedly opting for ‘more equitable grading practices’ in order to ‘reflect our core beliefs’
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/05/31/chicago-area-high-school-reportedly-opting-for-more-equitable-grading-practices-in-order-to-reflect-our-core-beliefs/

They're basically saying Blacks are incapable of competing with Whites and Asians on a level playing field.
Who's the racist here?
Seriously if you're a POC why would you bother working to try to better yourself if the result are the same even if you don't?

More Government dependents coming right up!
The combo of telling them they are not good enough while also giving them the expectation they will get hand-outs because of their race. 

If the economy or other issues occur that the govt is not able to maintain the handouts, it won't be pretty. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 12:36:29 PM »
This just means that if I'm in charge of hiring for some company, when I review high school transcripts I have to automatically mark down the grades on POCs by at least 10 percent in order to fairly compare them to applicants of other skin colors.

Many OPRFHS teachers are successfully exploring and implementing more equitable
grading practices such as: utilizing aspects of competency-based grading, eliminating zeros
from the grade book, and encouraging and rewarding growth over time.

I thought competency-based grading meant grading based on who demonstrated the best competency with the material.

Oak Park and River Forest High School will establish a Philosophy of Grading that reflects a
rigorous, meaningful, and evidence-based process by which student learning is understood.

And, once again, my ignorance is showing. All these years since I started school, I always thought that a rigorous, meaningful, and evidence-based process by which student learning is understood meant being able to pass the tests. Changing students' grades arbitrarily does not strike me as being at all rigorous, meaningful, or evidence-based.

Question: Does eliminating zeros from the grade book mean that if a black student scores 70, the teacher marks it as 7? Or does it mean that if a white student scores a 90 the teacher marks it as a 9?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 06:01:32 PM »
the grade book mean that if a black student scores 70, the teacher marks it as 7? Or does it mean that if a white student scores a 90 the teacher marks it as a 9?

This means that if a student doesn't turn in work, they don't get a zero for it.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 06:02:42 PM »
Some of this stuff is already being implemented at colleges.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 06:37:35 PM »
This means that if a student doesn't turn in work, they don't get a zero for it.

-1 (negative one) isn't zero ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 06:49:10 PM »
My days of not taking the public education system seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 11:30:28 AM »
I am glad I went to school before it turned to feces.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 11:56:12 AM »
I noticed the original tweet referenced was deleted. It appears this may have been "fake news" or at the very least highly misleading.
This morning, I linked to a story that I mistakenly assumed was from a local news site, but was from a partisan publication framing itself as a local news pub. (Screenshot below.)

Deleted the Tweet — quoting the lede — which left out imp’t context about the curricular changes.
— Josh Kraushaar (@HotlineJosh) May 31, 2022
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 12:01:18 PM »
So if you study hard and get an "A" on your very first exam or homework, you can stop turning in any more and thereby keep your AVERAGE up?  >:D

You know, giving bonuses to select POC's in school is sure way to stoke the fires of resentment, anger, and hatred in non-POC students. And no amount of woke, politically-correct word salad will change that.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 12:02:10 PM »
I noticed the original tweet referenced was deleted. It appears this may have been "fake news" or at the very least highly misleading.

Or they deleted it because of the blowup it created and the heat they were getting. Quite common.

We've seen other school systems say the same thing.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »
I think I lot of people thought the school district was planning to give different grades based on race.

Instead, it looks like the plan was to dumb it down for everyone, in hopes more black people would pass. 

Doing things like "not giving zeros" for work not turned in etc.

This is similar to university training materials I have seen- expecting students to turn in work on time is racist.