Author Topic: John Murtha, 1932-2010  (Read 12862 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
John Murtha, 1932-2010
« on: February 08, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »
While I despised the man's politics and I think he was about as corrupt as they came I respect his service.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...p-murtha-dead/
This -

Murtha enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1952 and became a drill instructor at Parris Island. He served in Korea and received a Bronze Star and Two Purple Hearts for his service in Vietnam. He continued to be a member of the Marine Corps Reserves until he resigned as a colonel in 1990 

Doesn't wipe away this -

A hint of scandal lingered over much of Murtha's career. The FBI named Murtha an "unindicted co-conspirator" in its ABSCAM sting operation in the late 1970s and early '80s. ABSCAM resulted in the conviction of five House members and one senator. The FBI recorded Murtha on videotape declining a $50,000 bribe from federal agents posing as Arab sheiks. But the congressman did say he could be interested in future dealings. 

So long to the King of Pork
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: John Murtha, 1932-2010
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
Frankly, all I'm interested in is him getting replaced with someone who knows to step back from Health Care and Amnesty.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:13:38 PM »
I will plop the warning down right now:  Grave dancing will not be tolerated. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »

Larry.  Gloating over his death is not very polite.

He was an Eagle Scout, a Marine that worked his way up through the ranks, combat vet, small business owner, etc.  The worst scandal you cited, to prove he was such a horrible person, was him declining a bribe and testifying against people that did accept bribes.  In other words, not breaking the law. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 04:22:10 PM »
I didn't consider my comments as gloating over his death. Unless you are refereing to the "King of Pork" bit,  I've heard from several sources that he was kind of proud of that label.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »
How will his seat be filled? Election, appointment?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
Not sure, but I'd guess they'd leave it empty until the November elections.  Might be possible to get a temp appointment though.  Depends on PA law.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
How will his seat be filled? Election, appointment?

The governor has ten days once the vacancy is officially declared to decide on the date for the special election, which can come no sooner than 60 days following that proclamation.

That likely means the special election will be held on May 18
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 04:49:56 PM »
The governor has ten days once the vacancy is officially declared to decide on the date for the special election, which can come no sooner than 60 days following that proclamation.

That likely means the special election will be held on May 18

What better anniversary present to get another person in Congress with a clue.  But then again since it is the anniversary of my wedding it doesn't look good for our side. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 05:27:14 PM »
All I will say is "I hope he knew Jesus."
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 05:56:52 PM »
  The worst scandal you cited, to prove he was such a horrible person, was him declining a bribe and testifying against people that did accept bribes.  In other words, not breaking the law. 

I tend to think his pre-judging of certain troops accused of rape is more damning.  That's pretty ugly behavior for a man in his position. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »
I won't dance on his grave (it's too far away) but I'll bet there are some Marines who will.
I shall not weep for the loss of Progressive parasites (of any party) who are doing their best to destroy our Constitution and the American way of life.

I hope he finds his peace.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
I'll honor the man for his military service to this country, nothing more. 

May the Lord comfort his family.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »
I'll not celebrate his life, but I'll offer my prayers for comfort to his family.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 10:03:51 PM »
I tend to think his pre-judging of certain troops accused of rape is more damning.  That's pretty ugly behavior for a man in his position. 

He ended up get sued for refusing to retract his public judgment of those troops.  While he had the right to disagree with our involvement in Iraq, putting our soldiers on trial in the media was NOT his shining moment in history.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »
I once again simply quote Mark Twain:

I've never killed a man, but I've read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 07:09:01 AM »
I wonder if Johnstown PA will get the HumVee replacement contract.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bruce H

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 07:57:59 AM »
May John and Edward have many pleasant journies over many bridges in the afterlife.
It is possible to always be wrong.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 08:40:44 AM »
By all accounts John Murtha served his country honorably while he was active-duty military.

Period.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »
Didn't he help squash a couple of anti-gun amendments in the last year?

I didn't like his politics, but I hope he is in a better place now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DenaliPark

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »
While I despised the man's politics and I think he was about as corrupt as they came I respect his service.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...p-murtha-dead/
This -

Doesn't wipe away this -

So long to the King of Pork

Service? He slandered six US Marines, worse, he did so at wartime, in a way that ensured(for leftist political gain)the highest possible "shock" value guaranteed to spark violent reprisals against our troops in the field!
 His service was to himself....

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »
Marine, served in two wars, Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts... and he gets taken out by a botched surgery.

That ain't right.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »
Question for the PA residents: who is likely to campaign for his seat? Anyone pro-gun, anti-healthcare bill?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
Question for the PA residents: who is likely to campaign for his seat? Anyone pro-gun, anti-healthcare bill?

I'd start looking here:  http://www.pagunrights.com/2010/02/the-future-of-pa-12-for-gun-owners/

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 08:02:16 AM »
and he gets taken out by a botched surgery.

Lets see, the Dem's used Kennedy's death as a push for health reform.  Wonder if they will use Murtha's for the same reason.