Author Topic: The Department of Education has a SWAT team  (Read 12868 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
The Department of Education has a SWAT team
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »
... and used it to break down a man's door over his ESTRANGED wife's STUDENT LOANS...

http://www.news10.net/news/article/141072/2/Dept-of-Education-breaks-down-Stockton-mans-door

Shut down the DoE. That's all I can say.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The Department of Education has a SWAT team
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »
Sending letters to my Senators.

One is a Statist apologist (McCain), but Kyl can sometimes show some promise.

There is absolutely no way that a violent, confrontational search process is necessary for matters pertaining to the DOE.  The worst crimes they could be tasked with the investigation of, would be student loan fraud.  That's just not worth the risks of high intensity door-kicking surprise urban assaults.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »
Student loans have become a primary tool of enslavement.  One should not expect the enslavers to be far away.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »
More dumbass SWATties who can't be bothered to do any prep or intel work.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »
The DOE already has the power to garnish and seize tax returns.  What more did they want, an actual pound of flesh? 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
Seize the flesh and the rest will follow.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »
Is the DOE resorting to debtors prisons ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
Student loans have become a primary tool of enslavement.  One should not expect the enslavers to be far away.

;/

Gonna have to 'splayn that one, please.

Loans are a voluntary process.  No one compels anyone to get them.  It's 100% possible to go to community college for 2 years and pay cash rather than get loans, then 2 years at your local State school and get your BA, also paying cash.  Most community colleges around here cost about $2000 per semester for a typical class load, plus books.  Not that big of a deal.  ASU is incredibly inexpensive for a 4 year university, for AZ residents.  It's about $4800 per semester.  That might be a bit harder to pay cash for.... but no one said every student has to have a $125/month cell phone plan and a $300/month payment on a nice car.

I had nearly $30,000 in school loans when I graduated... but I went to one of the more expensive colleges in the Pacific Northwest.  I maxed out my unsubsidized Stafford loans, and got 1 Perkins loan on top of that.

I'm now down to about $12,500 left.  And should be done with that pretty quickly at the $600/month I'm paying towards it.

Anyone that welches on school loans is a waste of oxygen consumption, as far as I'm concerned.  That's just low.

ETA:  And by "waste of oxygen consumption," I don't mean it's okay for the DOE to engage in door-kicking human safaris.  I mean, throw the book at 'em in court.  But they ain't that dangerous to apprehend.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »
And by "waste of oxygen consumption," I don't mean it's okay for the DOE to engage in door-kicking human safaris.  I mean, throw the book at 'em in court.  But they ain't that dangerous to apprehend.

but they mite flush there diploma down the terlet   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 01:46:27 PM »
;/

Gonna have to 'splayn that one, please.

Loans are a voluntary process.  No one compels anyone to get them.  It's 100% possible to go to community college for 2 years and pay cash rather than get loans, then 2 years at your local State school and get your BA, also paying cash.  Most community colleges around here cost about $2000 per semester for a typical class load, plus books.  Not that big of a deal.  ASU is incredibly inexpensive for a 4 year university, for AZ residents.  It's about $4800 per semester.  That might be a bit harder to pay cash for.... but no one said every student has to have a $125/month cell phone plan and a $300/month payment on a nice car.

I had nearly $30,000 in school loans when I graduated... but I went to one of the more expensive colleges in the Pacific Northwest.  I maxed out my unsubsidized Stafford loans, and got 1 Perkins loan on top of that.

I'm now down to about $12,500 left.  And should be done with that pretty quickly at the $600/month I'm paying towards it.

Anyone that welches on school loans is a waste of oxygen consumption, as far as I'm concerned.  That's just low.

ETA:  And by "waste of oxygen consumption," I don't mean it's okay for the DOE to engage in door-kicking human safaris.  I mean, throw the book at 'em in court.  But they ain't that dangerous to apprehend.

The education system in the U.S. has become one more arm of the "bubble process."  Insanely escalating costs, spotty results, ever more bloated bureaucracies, increasing corporatization.  We're now in an era where college administrators make incomes in the high six figures; where they build edupolises, not universities, where you can spend $200K for an education that won't get you a job anywhere.  A degree in hard sciences may be worth the money, but it would hard to argue that any other degree is.  That you can't escape a student loan even by bankruptcy underscores the "enslavement" point I was making.

Add:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/06/08/dartmouth_takes_more_money_from_endowment_returns_for_administrative_costs

http://www.goldwaterinstitute.org/article/4941
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:53:05 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »
This explains why they needed these shotguns.  [popcorn]

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=23640.0

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »
Education Department says it doesn’t send SWAT teams after loan defaulters
By Liz Goodwin

Email
        Print

A Stockton, Calif., man says a SWAT team broke his door and dragged him out of his house during an unexpected 6 a.m. raid targeting his estranged ex-wife.

Kenneth Wright, who has no criminal record, told ABC News 10 he complained to the local cops about the raid. But according to Wright, the Stockton police denied ordering the raid, saying instead it was the handiwork of  the federal Department of Education.

Wright told the station that the Education Department was after unpaid federal loans owed by his ex-wife. "They busted my door for this," Wright says. The claim has been repeated by numerous news outlets who picked up the story, which is so popular it appears to have crashed the local station's online story.

But Education Department Press Secretary Justin Hamilton said in a statement to The Lookout that the department "does not execute search warrants for late loan payments." He said the Office of the Inspector General "conducts about 30-35 search warrants a year on issues such as bribery, fraud, and embezzlement of federal student aid funds." Hamilton said the department cannot comment on this particular case until the investigation is over, but did add that the claim the warrant was executed for late loan payment is untrue.

About 8.9 percent of all federal loan recipients (about 330,000 people) defaulted between 2008 and 2010, the highest percentage in more than a decade. Unlike students who have some types of private students loans, borrowers with federal loans can't declare bankruptcy as a way to get out of repayment.

Still, Wright was not the subject of the agency's investigation. He animatedly explains in the segment below that he was handcuffed while still in his underwear and was made to wait in a police car for several hours with his three young children. Police told the station he wasn't handcuffed.

Wright says he wants an apology and for the Department of Education to fix his door. "Please pay your bills, take care of your credit," he says. "If you don't believe me, this could be you one morning, 6 o'clock in the morning."
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »
That you can't escape a student loan even by bankruptcy underscores the "enslavement" point I was making.

If so many people in the past hadn't defaulted on their student loans in order to shirk paying the debt, it wouldn't be the case today.

A swat 'intervention' is way over the top.

I've always said, and still stand by it- if a person has enough intelligence and drive to complete a college degree, they should very well have enough intelligence and drive to figure out how they will pay for it- whether it be their own business, job, scholarships, or savings to pay for it on the front side, loans on the backside, or a mixture of both.

I have no sympathy for those who skate through a dumbed down degree who later find they have no means of paying for it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »

Well, somebody did  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
wonder why homey or the "journalists" won't show the warrant?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 02:17:10 PM »

No, they send them after failed white-collar criminals who can't cover their tracks and got enticed into a stupid crime while aged somewhere between 18 and 25.

This demographic tends to be young, relatively stupid or naive, and have young children and spouses.  They also tend to NOT be armed (liberal college bias is strong) and enjoy arguments.

They'll ANSWER THE FRACKING DOOR IF YOU KNOCK.
--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 02:18:46 PM »
About 8.9 percent of all federal loan recipients (about 330,000 people) defaulted between 2008 and 2010, the highest percentage in more than a decade.

Let this ^^^ be a warning to folks who are thinking about taking out a loan for school.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
No, they send them after failed white-collar criminals who can't cover their tracks and got enticed into a stupid crime while aged somewhere between 18 and 25.

This demographic tends to be young, relatively stupid or naive, and have young children and spouses.  They also tend to NOT be armed (liberal college bias is strong) and enjoy arguments.

They'll ANSWER THE FRACKING DOOR IF YOU KNOCK.

supported by?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »
I'm getting a 404 on this link.

They've since pulled the article. There are updates. Original story:

http://centralstockton.news10.net/news/community/dept-education-breaks-down-stockton-mans-door/72578

Also, from C&SD's link:

He said the Office of the Inspector General "conducts about 30-35 search warrants a year on issues such as bribery, fraud, and embezzlement of federal student aid funds."

Any of those crimes seem to necessitate a no-knock SWAT raid on a home where the intended subject doesn't live?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
where hubby says she doesn't live

the variety of scams being run is quite artful.  profitable too

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »
IIRC, wasn't it somewhere in the Obamacare legislation that from now on, banks would not issue student loans, only the fed.gov?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/us/politics/12loans.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »
the variety of scams being run is quite artful.  profitable too
But not smart.
In Milwaukee, they simply skip college (if they even make it through more than 2 years of HS), start producing babies and start up child care/day care scams. Get a dozen or so baby's mommas to open seperate day cares, and have each of them claim they are watching the other's kids in their business, money rolls in from the state because until recently, the state turned a blind eye toward it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
not just chicago   sadly

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 02:58:29 PM »

supported by?

http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/student-demographics-loan-repayment-largely-unrelated-10606

Estimated repayment rates by institution - FY 2009
InstitutionEstimated repayment rate
STANFORD UNIVERSITY80%
UC BERKELEY73%
UC RIVERSIDE65%
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA62%
MILLS COLLEGE59%
CSU LOS ANGELES55%
SAN FRANCISCO STATE UNIVERSITY54%
ART INSTITUTE OF CALIFORNIA - SAN DIEGO47%
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX44%
DEVRY UNIVERSITY38%
LOS ANGELES CITY COLLEGE37%
ARGOSY UNIVERSITY - ORANGE COUNTY36%
KAPLAN UNIVERSITY27%
Source: U.S. Department of Education    

By no means an exhaustive list of all colleges by any stretch.  But, what I see here is that the more fru-fru or disreputable the degree, the less likely someone is to repay their loans.  

Art Institute of California... an art school.  Low repayment rate.  Also a for-profit school.
U PHX... this school is LEGENDARY for being a slacker school.  Everything is done as "groups" and typically only 1-2 people in the group end up doing the work.  I've had several friends from GOOD schools end up pursuing additional degrees at U PHX and loathing the experience due to that fact.
Kaplan has a similar tradition to U PHX.
DeVry also has a similar tradition to U PHX.
Argosy is another of the "for profit" colleges that are degree mills with no challenge.
CSU-LA is another one.

I'm willing to bet that Apollo College also has a similar tradition.  And ITT.

Basically, just about anything on this list I suspect is going to have the lowest student loan repayment rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_for-profit_universities_and_colleges

--Lysander Spooner