Author Topic: The Department of Education has a SWAT team  (Read 12866 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: The Department of Education has a SWAT team
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »
They've since pulled the article. There are updates. Original story:

http://centralstockton.news10.net/news/community/dept-education-breaks-down-stockton-mans-door/72578

Ah, that's better.

Also, from C&SD's link:

Any of those crimes seem to necessitate a no-knock SWAT raid on a home where the intended subject doesn't live?

I wasn't arguing that.   The notion of the DoE having a SWAT team is something I'd expect in Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Although to be fair, this is Stockton CA, where residents vacation in Detroit because it's safer ...
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 03:10:41 PM »
I'm happy to say that the default rate for my college, for the most recent data  I can find, is 0.6%.

http://collegemeasures.org/reporting/institution/scorecard/sldr/236328.aspx

ASU is 3.1%.

Stanford appears to be at 0.8%.

DeVry does not release their default rates to collegemeasures.org.
University of Phoenix (Phoenix Campus) has a 12.9% default rate.
Collins college has a 10% default rate.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
I wasn't arguing that.   The notion of the DoE having a SWAT team is something I'd expect in Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Ayup.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
The notion of the DoE having a SWAT team is something I'd expect in Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

I completely agree.

I don't see a legitimate need for agencies like the DOE, USDA, and so forth to have SWAT teams or even gun toting agents when you know, there are whole federal agencies dedicated to LE. Such as the FBI. Got a problem that needs armed popo for a federal crime? Call the local FBI office.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
---delete---
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:47:34 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »
I completely agree.

I don't see a legitimate need for agencies like the DOE, USDA, and so forth to have SWAT teams or even gun toting agents when you know, there are whole federal agencies dedicated to LE. Such as the FBI. Got a problem that needs armed popo for a federal crime? Call the local FBI office.

Exactly. My problem (aside from my little girl having messed up my preferred shift key, making it far more difficult to type this post) is that the DOE has a SWAT team. The use of a SWAT team in this instance may, through some unimaginable circumstances, be legitimate. I doubt that, but it's possible. My problem is that the DOE should never have had such a team in the first place.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 08:40:01 AM »
where hubby says she doesn't live

the variety of scams being run is quite artful.  profitable too

What human purpose does a no-knock warrant serve in a fraud case?

Suppose the wife lived there - what was she going to do, fold up her student loan papers and eat them?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »
was it a no knock?  or are all of them no knocks in your minds eye?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
was it a no knock?  or are all of them no knocks in your minds eye?
Well, it isn't no-knock if they knock as they are tearing down the door.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »
The big picture is that education is Big Business now...or Big Ed.  Big Ed is no different from the entire public sector union coalition that wants to control America.

Here's a story on how university administrators will shortly outnumber faculty at our institutions of learning:

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2011/06/university-administrators-will.html
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »
The big picture is that education is Big Business now...or Big Ed.  Big Ed is no different from the entire public sector union coalition that wants to control America.

Here's a story on how university administrators will shortly outnumber faculty at our institutions of learning:

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2011/06/university-administrators-will.html

Longeyes... I have to ask. Have you attended graduate school?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »

For years now, I've been arguing (mainly over beers and wings) that a great deal of money could be saved by placing all federal criminal investigations in the hands of the FBI, Secret Service, and US Marshall's Serice.  Yes, you would need to increase the budget of these agencies, to a degree, but you could save millions in the budget just by eliminating the duplication.  With seemingly every federal agency having its own investigative and enforcement department, you are talking about hundreds of sworn officers and all of their weapons and equipment that could be removed from the budget.

As for the OP, I'll be interested to see how it all turns out.  His lawsuit for a 4th Amendment violation could be groundbreaking legal precedent...or a quick settlement out of court for an undisclosed amount of cash...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »
Longeyes... I have to ask. Have you attended graduate school?

More than one.  But, thankfully, not recently.

I know you're a grad student, Micro.  What is your field, if I may ask?
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
More than one.  But, thankfully, not recently.

In my experience, universities are always - no matter the amount of 'administrators' are de-facto run by their professors. Not individual professors, but academics as a class. This is the inner cause of most if not all problems in academia.

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »
http://www.news10.net/news/article/141108/2/Questions-surround-feds-raid-of-Stockton-home

Do you see a knock?

is there video of the raid?

any affiliation with the black hebrews here? this is an area they've learned to play
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
Black Hebrews? Well, I've worked with some. But what does this have to do with this?

• friends
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »
its an interesting cult here.  specialty is financial scams.  at one time they specialized in getting a member a job in a bank then looting it
they've branched out.
have a history of killing folks
including young kids

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
its an interesting cult here.  specialty is financial scams.  at one time they specialized in getting a member a job in a bank then looting it
they've branched out.
have a history of killing folks
including young kids

and the point is  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 07:13:08 PM »
wanna see the missing 40 pages of affidavit and warrant  see if they are members

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »
wanna see the missing 40 pages of affidavit and warrant  see if they are members

Let's assume here that the guy in the house is Tony Montana, and he met them at the door with an M203.

That doesn't justify the DEPARTMENT OF GORRAM EDUCATION getting a tac team.  If the student loan skippers  ;/ are THAT damn bad, call the FBI.  Every damn federal department doesn't need a SWAT team and the toys that go with them.

And why am I not surprised that you're already painting the guy whose ex-wife the DOE is after as a baby-killer.  I swear to god you never met a jack-boot you didn't lick like.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
In my experience, universities are always - no matter the amount of 'administrators' are de-facto run by their professors. Not individual professors, but academics as a class. This is the inner cause of most if not all problems in academia.

I think that used to be the case, and maybe where you are it still is, but I think American universities have now become one more branch of social welfare filigreed with mythological trappings about education and democracy.  How much real learning gets done is questionable; ditto how much actual preparation for society.  Absolutely staggering amounts of money, much of it public, are channeled through the education machine with increasingly dubious results.  (The hard sciences and engineering remain an endangered oasis.)
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

• friends
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
Let's assume here that the guy in the house is Tony Montana, and he met them at the door with an M203.

That doesn't justify the DEPARTMENT OF GORRAM EDUCATION getting a tac team.  If the student loan skippers  ;/ are THAT damn bad, call the FBI.  Every damn federal department doesn't need a SWAT team and the toys that go with them.

And why am I not surprised that you're already painting the guy whose ex-wife the DOE is after as a baby-killer.  I swear to god you never met a jack-boot you didn't lick like.

don't know enough yet.  so far the story we got thats being zong'd is lacking in facts.  heck i haven't even seen balko touch this yet

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »

You forgot about Sheriff Joe, he doesn't like Joe. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2011, 07:46:49 AM »
once upon a time i was greatly a joe fan.  that faded upon closer examination. i also have seen real police gone wild and often find folks blow their "incidents" outa proportion.  and even when they do the zomg choir gathers to sing hallelujahs